• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The KA-BAR Story...

I ordered a KA-BAR 1317 Dog's Head 7" utility knife with a Christmas Gift Card yesterday. I have a couple of the 1217's and wanted the Dog's Head. Reviews look very good.
We'll see...

KA1317---Ka-Bar-Dogs-Head-KA1317.jpg

See, It's not just ESEEs... [wink]

I did receive my new "Dog's Head" KA-BAR #1317 today and it is very nice and as well built as the current U.S.M.C. #1217 MkII.
On the up side, I really like the much thicker and straight crossguard (and shorter on the top-side) as well as the teardrop pommel (which has a lanyard hole)
Also, the blade grind is even from front to rear, with a perfect black coating and flawless leather-washer handle.

But...
This blade did not come nearly as sharp as the others I own did (it did dress up nicely though) and the Made-In-Mexico sheath came very dry and of questionable quality.
I do not predict it having a long-life...

All in all, I give it a solid "7"
~Enbloc

Just an FYI for end of the year..KBAR has consistently run a 50% sale on Black Friday for most of their knives (maybe 80% of their total) - I usually grab a few

Just ordered this Ka-Bar today. I have not bought a knife in a while and fell in love with this one. Got to feed the feeling every once in a while! I'll keep it in the trunk for a SHTF back up if for nothing else.

View attachment 333169
What's not too love about a K-bar Tanto? East meets west, Classic meets modern. Carbon-steel sex appeal...

Got my new 8" Tanto Ka-Bar today. It's like a sexy looking babe - I find it hard to keep my eyes or hands off of it. Ka-Bar really did a nice job with this knife. Looks just like the photo I posted a few replies back. It feels light and crisp in my hands unlike some of the comments I had read stating that it was heavy, too long and unwieldy. Quite the contrary from my viewpoint - very agile, sleek, light to carry and appears to be very functional. A winner in my opinion.

EDIT:
Just wanted to add that the sheath also seems to be very well made and functional as well. I've read comments stating that it's not comfortable when sitting but what knife of this size is if it's locked down to your leg? Just let it hang off your belt and all is well. It's a 12"+ overall knife so it's got to have some room to move.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom