The John Kelly Memorial Practical Shooting Match

I agree with Round Gun Shooter's comments (post #167, page 17 of JOHN KELLY) that John would not want anyone to fuss over him... I think the thing is that at times like this while many families honor the wishes of the departed, in many cases the services, wakes, etc. are more for the people who survived the departed as a way for them to deal with the loss, especially when it is unexpected like this. I think it's safe to say that John was universally loved in the shooting community and his sudden death was a tremendous shock to all of us.

I think it is a great idea for the shooting community to do something to remember him...this is what I propose. Why don't we (the shooting community) get together on one of the 5th Sundays on the calendar when there is generally not that much going on (i.e., Aug 29 or Oct 31 in 2010) and put together a match that will involve stages from all the practical shooting disciplines that Mr. Kelly loved, participated in and supported. Imagine a match with an IDPA stage; a USPSA stage; a bowling pin stage; a Walls of Steel Stage; etc. where shooters from all of these disciplines who might not ordinarily participate in something else get together and experience something new. In the spirit of Mr. Kelly, these stages can be staffed by ROs/SOs that will welcome and mentor new shooters to their discipline. We can keep a total match score and award a trophy/trophies to the shooters and take all of the match proceeds and donate to GOAL for some type of scholarship to support the training of new shooters.

I propose that we try to select a centrally located venue, like Harvard, that already has large IDPA and USPSA groups in place so that there will already be a lot of props and equipment on site. For disciplines other than IDPA and USPSA, it may be a pain in the butt to load up a bunch of steel or other necessary gear to travel but it is only for one day and I'm sure there would be plenty of volunteers with pickup trucks willing to help with the logistics.

What do you guys think?

Amazing idea. I'm in.

While many of us participated in one or two action pistol events, John participated in them all.

It'd be very interesting for us to shoot all disciplines at one time.

I hope this brings new shooters to the sport as well. They have an opportunity to try everything.

I will work any match you decide to put on at any location whether I shoot or not as long as it does not conflict with a major USPSA match. I will also contribute to a fund for awards and suggest we have one bad ass tee shirt for the match.

You have my e mail.

Last edited:
Whoever is organizing this can check for conflicts by visiting the 2010 Competition Calendar, which is found here: http://ical.me.com/wmccurdy53/2010 Shoots
I will add the "John Kelly" event to the calendar as soon as info is available.
I, like many others here, will miss seeing John at events.

Sounds great! I just shot the idea of the 5th weekend out there - could be either a Saturday or a Sunday... Let's see if there is enough interest and we can make this happen!

Jenn Im sure we can get a few people from our area to go... Im in as long as its after I get back from the deployment

I am not familiar with the honoree, but it sounds like a fun, good cause. I would like to check it out.

I sent this via e mail to the OP but here it is for all:

My suggestion is this:

1 plate rack stage

2 IDPA stage paper only

2 USPSA 30 round field course paper only

1 walls stage

That gives you 6 stages that will be enjoyable and the match will move. It could start at 0930 and would be done by 2. No entries after 10 AM open squadding.

You must complete 5 stages of the 6 to be considered for awards and worse stage if shooting 6 is thrown out. adding: Scoring done by discipline rules. USPSA scoring for those stages, IDPA scoring for those stages, Walls and Plates by time 5 runs throw out slow. Top 10 winners scaled for over all if that is really important. Better to just post scores for bragging rights and leave award money in the kitty for dispersal to a charity. Since John died from heart disease maybe the Heart Association would be a fitting tribute to him.

I agree with your ideas RGS. It should be a fun match, no need for fancy awards- bragging rights and knowing the money goes to a good cause is good enough for me. I'd expect a large turn out.. managing the flow and finish time might be a challenge.

I agree with your ideas RGS. It should be a fun match, no need for fancy awards- bragging rights and knowing the money goes to a good cause is good enough for me. I'd expect a large turn out.. managing the flow and finish time might be a challenge.

I have worked majors in three states in 2 disciplines. The way to keep it moving is this:

Straight forward paper stages for USPSA & IDPA. No movers, no traps, just straight forward run and gun. Props screw up and cause problems

Plate stage and walls stage shooters come to the line ready to go. If you are not ready or do not have the necessary gear, shoot what you can and move on.

Last is experienced staff. I will work any stage and stay there all day. This is not about shooting for me. I am sure there will be others. Experienced staff can move a stage quickly. Experienced shooters will see a back up and jump in and help.

There need to be a few hard fast rules.

1. Have fun
2. No arguing with range staff
3. have fun
4. help out because if you aren't taping and picking up brass, you ain't shooting.......[wink]
5. Have Fun

Last edited:
Also, if you want a steel challenge stage, get in touch with GT Targets and maybe Chris can let you use one since it is a good cause. OR MittenK here

Steel Challenge rather than Plates would be fun. Smoke and Hope is always fun

Last edited:
I talk to the IDPA and USPSA folks at Harvard and see if we can make this happen... Looks likes there would be a lot of interest in this and I'm sure we can have a lot of fun for a worthy cause.

17 July and 31 July are wide open. 15 May and 19 June are also open, but I have conflicts on those days and I would really like to be able to show my respect for John with my participation.

Back
Top Bottom