The holy grail of AK kits

flintoid sez:

To the untrained eye of course it looks just like any old "AK," but this is a real world sample of what essentially was the first fielded prototype of a tool that changed the landscape of the world. The type 1 AK was rare in its production numbers and was a proof of concept for the AKM, which was produced after all of the SKS tooling wore out which made type 2 and type 3 AKs. The type 1 was a mixture of forged trunnions and stamped sheet metal, riveted together- the same as the massively produced AKM. But design worries of ill informed field commanders used to robust beating sticks (mosin nagants) pushed for an overly conservative and expensive design (type 2 and 3) which were eventually dumped in 1963 with the AKM, or "modernized AK" which is the same basic sheet metal + riveted trunnion design but the trunnions are smaller and less complicated. Many of those parts went from forged and machined parts to cast parts- like the gas return block, front sight block, and rear trunnion as time moved on. These parts took less mechanical load and allowed for manufacturing corners to be cut in the name of cost. The evolution of the AKM continued through the 60's and into the 70's , ending in the mid 70's in Russia.

The fact that this rifle is already a unicorn in the world and somehow ended up here (before importation bans and whatnot) makes it extremely desirable. Especially if it is all matching. And in good condition.

flintoid sez:To the untrained eye of course it looks just like any old "AK," but this is a real world sample of what essentially was the first fielded prototype of a tool that changed the landscape of the world. The type 1 AK was rare in its production numbers and was a proof of concept for the AKM, which was produced after all of the SKS tooling wore out which made type 2 and type 3 AKs. The type 1 was a mixture of forged trunnions and stamped sheet metal, riveted together- the same as the massively produced AKM. But design worries of ill informed field commanders used to robust beating sticks (mosin nagants) pushed for an overly conservative and expensive design (type 2 and 3) which were eventually dumped in 1963 with the AKM, or "modernized AK" which is the same basic sheet metal + riveted trunnion design but the trunnions are smaller and less complicated. Many of those parts went from forged and machined parts to cast parts- like the gas return block, front sight block, and rear trunnion as time moved on. These parts took less mechanical load and allowed for manufacturing corners to be cut in the name of cost. The evolution of the AKM continued through the 60's and into the 70's , ending in the mid 70's in Russia.

The fact that this rifle is already a unicorn in the world and somehow ended up here (before importation bans and whatnot) makes it extremely desirable. Especially if it is all matching. And in good condition.

Tell me again about why a guy with this much knowledge is no longer here?

Tell me again about why a guy with this much knowledge is no longer here?

He was a great member here and brought so much knowledge and help to NES, never mind his hysterical posts. He was almost always right but a bit abrasive and when NES went through a kinder-gentler phase shift 2 or 3 years ago his, ahhh, colorful way of posting didn't fit with the newer thin-skinned members. Some of his threads were awesome, like "How to build an AK on your coffee table in a Boston apartment", but they all went away when he agreed to leave for good.

It is sad, he is still a good friend to quite a few of us.

Last edited:
He was a great member here and brought so much knowledge and help to NES, never mind his hysterical posts. He was almost always right but a bit abrasive and when NES went through a kinder-gentler phase shift 2 or 3 years ago his, ahhh, colorful way of posting didn't fit with the newer thin-skinned members. Some of his threads were awesome, like "How to build an AK on your coffee table in a Boston apartment", but they all went away when he agreed to leave for good.

It is sad, he is still a good friend to quite a few of us.

Yeah, I figured it might be something like that. Not at all surprising either...too bad Thanks for the update ed, much appreciated

To add to what Flit said. It is a parts kit built gun (not all Type 1 parts for that matter) built on an American made receiver. Not sure if I would pay $12K for that but it is still really nice.

You are right about it being a parts kit on a US receiver. BUT. The receiver was reverse engineered to match the original shit. And it's all type 1 parts minus the recoil rod. It's the closest thing to a Type 1 you'll ever get in the US unless you're willing to travel and risk customs rape.

You are right about it being a parts kit on a US receiver. BUT. The receiver was reverse engineered to match the original shit. And it's all type 1 parts minus the recoil rod. It's the closest thing to a Type 1 you'll ever get in the US unless you're willing to travel and risk customs rape.

Correct, some people reading this might have never even known that they make guns out of parts kits. I am not an expert is the stock, top cover and selector type 1 or 3?

I don't know anything about full auto, are there any true Type 1 Russian full autos in the US? I ask that because for another $10K or so can you buy the real thing?

Last edited:
Correct, some people reading this might have never even known that they make guns out of parts kits. I am not an expert is the stock and top cover type 1 or 3?

I don't know anything about full auto, are there any true Type 1 Russian full autos in the US? I ask that because for another $10K or so can you buy the real thing?

Last I checked a full auto AK47 needed to add another zero to that price ($30k & up).

I had my eye on this beauty

this-preowned-ak-still-worked-when-taken-off-a-poacher-in-africa2-e1459977859593-jpg.82268

I looked at the auction and became dazed... I almost bid $13K.... then said WTF! If I do that I will have to tell my kid she needs to quit college. I caught myself in time.

I am waiting for Martin to start bidding. ;)

ok now I get it, the American equivalent of this would be a Pedersen device for your Mark 1 Springfield.

I found a couple high end Mausers on GB right now. The cream of the crop is a S/42K (first year military), matched, for $10K. A matched '39 BSW for $8100. With the AK at $12K and and counting, it seems to surpass the rarest of the rare Mausers.

T

Dont often get to see NES collectively cream their jeans. That was fun. Free Flintoid! I'm sure he'll behave, it was just that creepy scary avatar.

http://jamesdjulia.com/item/lot-100...ican-embassy-saigon-fully-transferable-37492/

for those who can't see the price, it's $92,000. Type 3 AK47, fully functional, matching all the way down to the handguard, which is rare.

The OP posted a type 1 rifle parts kit, which was made between 1947 and 1949. The type 3 was 1953 - 1959. The type 2's and 3's had milled receivers, unlike the OG Type 1.

Most original FA AKs are chinese in the US. Vietnam bringbacks typically were Chinese. Russian AK47s in their natural form, fully transferable to regular ass citizens are rare. This could be the only one as far as my knowledge goes.

37492x2.jpg

37492x5.jpg

37492x1.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom