• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The hard work is over. All zeroed for deer.

whacko

NES Member
Had a lazy afternoon so took the muzzle loader and the a5 to the range to check zero.

Had used 240 grain Hornady hollow points last season and they grouped and zeroed fantastic. This season Holy crap.....could not get a group to save my life with those projos. Switched to 250 grain TC with mag express sabot and same thing no good groups....all over the target. Switched to an old box of 300 grain TC in mag express sabots ans excellent groups but damn those are hard to push down the bore. Last 3 shots were same hole dead center at 50 yards. Think I put 25 shots through that tc impact today. I'm friggin exhausted lol. Got 10 projos left of that bullet so I'm good for the season I guess. Never had that happen where the projo I've used in the past just wouldn't group. But I'm good to go now.

Put 5 slugs through the a5 and I'm dead on haven't moved the sights in 5 years on that old beast.

I f***ing tired gonna go take a damn nap

Had a lazy afternoon so took the muzzle loader and the a5 to the range to check zero.

Had used 240 grain Hornady hollow points last season and they grouped and zeroed fantastic. This season Holy crap.....could not get a group to save my life with those projos. Switched to 250 grain TC with mag express sabot and same thing no good groups....all over the target. Switched to an old box of 300 grain TC in mag express sabots ans excellent groups but damn those are hard to push down the bore. Last 3 shots were same hole dead center at 50 yards. Think I put 25 shots through that tc impact today. I'm friggin exhausted lol. Got 10 projos left of that bullet so I'm good for the season I guess. Never had that happen where the projo I've used in the past just wouldn't group. But I'm good to go now.

Put 5 slugs through the a5 and I'm dead on haven't moved the sights in 5 years on that old beast.

I always had issues with sabots flying erratically. Think it was due to after 2 shots I was crushing plastic part of them down the bore or something. I will say I quit on them rather quickly and never have tried different brands.

I shoot the powerbelts in almost any flavor and have had good results. 295 grain copper mostly, but I bought platinums and they were good too. The copper ones tend
to really oxidize if you let them sit in one of those plastic loaders though, but its not affected accuracy. I tend to shoot my older bullets out of the speedloaders and replace them with
new ones every year when I check sight in.

My 16ga A5 shoots every slug I can find dead on at 50 yards. Never found a gun so opposite of finicky.

Did you hit the range at a different time of year? Temperature can make a difference,, as can the age of the powder and how long its been exposed to humidity.

Did you hit the range at a different time of year? Temperature can make a difference,, as can the age of the powder and how long its been exposed to humidity.
I test the muzzle loade every year in September.

Got good groups from the 300 grain TC spire point. I should be good. Was just odd to see 6 inch groups at 50 yards from the same load I used last season and had clover leafs with 3 shots at 50 yards.

vertical or horizontal stringing or just wide open groups?
Wide open. When I zero a smoke pole I wait awhile between shots to keep it from getting too hot. I checked the scope mounts to be sure they were tight before I left the house. They were tight.

I also remove the breech plug and run a patch from breech to muzzle between every shot.....hunting shots are always taken with a clean bore so practice and zero with a clean bore for every shot. Consistency is key to muzzle loader accuracy. Have no idea why the groups opened up using the same projos and sabot as last year. Very odd. But I got it tightened up and zeroed with the 300 grain tc spire points. I'll put a handful downrange one more time before nh season opens to be sure.

The old a5.... that things runs awesome. The buck special barrel is smooth bore with a nice set of iron sights. I put 3 to 5 through it each year before the season and I haven't had to adjust the sights in years.

Last edited:
I always had issues with sabots flying erratically. Think it was due to after 2 shots I was crushing plastic part of them down the bore or something. I will say I quit on them rather quickly and never have tried different brands.

I shoot the powerbelts in almost any flavor and have had good results. 295 grain copper mostly, but I bought platinums and they were good too. The copper ones tend
to really oxidize if you let them sit in one of those plastic loaders though, but its not affected accuracy. I tend to shoot my older bullets out of the speedloaders and replace them with
I tried powerbelts in mine....hated them. Bullets were tumbling at 50 yards......going through paper sideways and the group was HUGE

Wide open. When I zero a smoke pole I wait awhile between shots to keep it from getting too hot. I checked the scope mounts to be sure they were tight before I left the house. They were tight.

I also remove the breech plug and run a patch from breech to muzzle between every shot.....hunting shots are always taken with a clean bore so practice and zero with a clean bore for every shot. Consistency is key to muzzle loader accuracy. Have no idea why the groups opened up using the same projos and sabot as last year. Very odd. But I got it tightened up and zeroed with the 300 grain tc spire points. I'll put a handful downrange one more time before nh season opens to be sure.

The old a5.... that things runs awesome. The buck special barrel is smooth bore with a nice set of iron sights. I put 3 to 5 through it each year before the season and I haven't had to adjust the sights in years.
I wonder if there is a significant velocity change from last year to this year with the 240's. Something maybe not burning as clean with the charges?

I wonder if there is a significant velocity change from last year to this year with the 240's. Something maybe not burning as clean with the charges?
Someone else mentioned It may be the powder.....I was using an old box of 777 pellets I opened last year. I have new boxes as well......gets me thinking.....I have a chrono.......might be worth checking the velocity using the old box and some from a new box.

Maybe this weekend if I feel up to it. Gotta say......muzzle loading is friggin work.....taking the breech plug off and patching it between shots takes forever and my bore is tight......takes alot of force to get those projos rammed home. It can be tiring lol

Someone else mentioned It may be the powder.....I was using an old box of 777 pellets I opened last year. I have new boxes as well......gets me thinking.....I have a chrono.......might be worth checking the velocity using the old box and some from a new box.

Maybe this weekend if I feel up to it. Gotta say......muzzle loading is friggin work.....taking the breech plug off and patching it between shots takes forever and my bore is tight......takes alot of force to get those projos rammed home. It can be tiring lol

Thst was my first thought as well.

I store my pellets, primers, and Goex vacuum sealed between seasons.

Bob

My 16ga A5 shoots every slug I can find dead on at 50 yards. Never found a gun so opposite of finicky.
Same here......although it likes Rotweil Brenneke's best. I've killed a lot of deer with the Rem Sluggers though too.

I don't even think I can find 16 ga Brenneke's anymore. I don't use it much, as I can't see the sights well now.

I tried powerbelts in mine....hated them. Bullets were tumbling at 50 yards......going through paper sideways and the group was HUGE
Yikes......never had that happen.

I've got a T/C Encore, a CVA break open, and the old T/C white mountain carbine and they shoot pretty good out of all of them.

Though the WMC prefers patched round ball, and I can only shoot it 75 yards for hunting anyway, as its iron sighted. I wouldn't take a long shot with it.

Last edited:

Ive got the quarter turn breech plug on my CVA......love it. Its the only muzzleloader I use now.....no tools to clean or break down.

That's what I love about powerbelts too.....no jamming them down the bore, the are tight, but when they get retardly tight after 4 shots or so....its time to clean the bore.

I had to jam the plastic sabots down so tight....for sure I was destroying the plastic

Last edited:

Some mock the powerbelts but I use them in my Impact and they are spot on every shot. I shoot the 245 areotip.

Ive got the quarter turn breech plug on my CVA......love it. Its the only muzzleloader I use now.....no tools to clean or break down.

That's what I love about powerbelts too.....no jamming them down the bore, the are tight, but when they get retardly tight after 4 shots or so....its time to clean the bore.
Similar issue. Switched to Blackhorn 209 and the issue ended. I really like their powder.

Similar issue. Switched to Blackhorn 209 and the issue ended. I really like their powder.
Yeah....should have bought blackhorn this time around...but I like pellets. Drop 2 in and done.

Ive got this new Firestar shit this year....supposed to be cleaner.....doubt it is.

Though I'll certainly admit, accuracy can be better by tweaking charges up from 60 grains on up and trying them.......can't do that with pellets.

Yeah....should have bought blackhorn this time around...but I like pellets. Drop 2 in and done.

Ive got this new Firestar shit this year....supposed to be cleaner.....doubt it is.

Though I'll certainly admit, accuracy can be better by tweaking charges up from 60 grains on up and trying them.......can't do that with pellets.

Same here. The pellets are just so damn convenien.

I had to jam the plastic sabots down so tight....for sure I was destroying the plastic
I have a 1/4 inch ratchet in my range bag to pull the breech plugs. It's pretty fast but yeah a new model woth the speed breech is in my future

I have a 1/4 inch ratchet in my range bag to pull the breech plugs. It's pretty fast but yeah a new model woth the speed breech is in my future
Agree its a first world problem.

Much better than the old non break opens though. Those things were a severe pain in the ass to pull the breech plugs on, especially when you scoped them.

Agree its a first world problem.

Much better than the old non break opens though. Those things were a severe pain in the ass to pull the breech plugs on, especially when you scoped them.
I had a tc black diamond. Omg what a pain in the ass.

I had a tc black diamond. Omg what a pain in the ass.
There was reason I hunted with break open Muzzleloaders long before they were legal in MA.......and the above was one of them.

Reason #2 was there were several wardens I had spoken to at my kids hunting classes, that said....we won't bother you for that.......MA just takes forever and will be the last to allow them.
Don't waste your money on all the iterations of crap.....just buy a break open and be done with it.

I think it was the old pellets. Took the chrono to the range today. Old pellets were all over the place low of 1300 high of 1650. I used a new box and got consistent 1580 to 1650 with the 300 grain projos. Got it all set now hits 2 inches low at 50 yards and dead on at 100.

Back
Top Bottom