• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The Gunny

smokey-seven

NES Member
I just ordered this book by By John Ligato

There are three missing days in Marine Corps history. What occurred on those 3 days has been lost until now. It involves one of the bloodiest battles in American history. Marines fought house to house and room to room for 30 continuous days battling the NVA’s best troops.

On 31 January 1968, Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient John Canley, led 147 mud Marines into Hue City Vietnam. Awaiting them are 10,000 NVA regulars. For 3 days, Alpha Company, First Battalion, First Marines battled these overwhelming odds minus commissioned officers. They were outgunned and outmanned, but they had “The Gunny

The Gunny is the definitive book written on the battle for Hue City. It’s the first book written by the Marines who were the initial reaction force into Hue during the 68 TET offensive; the “grunts” who changed the course of history.

The actions of Gunnery Sergeant at Hue City are a testament to American leadership and valor.

John Canley | Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient

John Canley is one of the most decorated Marines in US history. He enlisted in the United States Marine Corps on November 30th 1953 and graduated recruit training at MCRD San Diego. Upon graduation, he attended Infantry Training School at Camp Pendleton, California. After completion of his training he was sent to Camp Fuji, Japan and also South Korea. John was then moved back to California, and awaited orders to become a Drill Instructor, but before he could fulfill his orders, he submitted his letter to be sent to Vietnam. His awards for valor include two Purple Hearts, a Bronze Star, Navy Cross and the Medal of Honor.

Face palm mode on: Vietnam Service Medal with nine service stars <----= 9 tours!

Absolutely amazing. He's a shining example of what makes the Marine Corps the cream of the crop in our military establishment. Not sure how long it took for the upgrade to MOH, but it surely should have been given sooner.

As an alumnus of Tet '68 (III & IV Corps) further south of Hue, it was ugly where I was but not as bad as Hue City I'm sure.

Hue City was no joke. That's for sure. A high school buddy of mine was there. He got bayonetted in the but. Can you believe that. In the but. He said he had walked by the guy, on the ground and thought he was dead. He assures me that the guy never did that again.

Back
Top Bottom