• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The gun registry has begun: Legal owners of “bullet-button” guns given deadline to register them in California

"Lawmakers in California decided that firearms with what they refer to as “bullet-button” features should be illegal effective January 1, 2017.

Bullet-button guns are defined as allowing the users to rapidly exchange ammunition magazines by using the tip of a bullet or a tool provided by the gun manufacturer."

"Lawmakers in California decided that firearms with what they refer to as “bullet-button” features should be illegal effective January 1, 2017.

Bullet-button guns are defined as allowing the users to rapidly exchange ammunition magazines by using the tip of a bullet or a tool provided by the gun manufacturer."

The gun owners sued to get the registry opened. Now that's pretty f***ed up.

maybe I haven't been into guns long enough, but what kind of gun requires a special tool or bullet tip to change a magazine?

maybe I haven't been into guns long enough, but what kind of gun requires a special tool or bullet tip to change a magazine?
Years ago CA. mandated that particular feature on ARs to slow down magazine changes.
Pretty much recessed the mag button so you couldn't just push it with your finger.

Years ago CA. mandated that particular feature on ARs to slow down magazine changes.
Pretty much recessed the mag button so you couldn't just push it with your finger.
I believe what they mandated was fixed magazines and defined that as requiring a tool for the mag to be removed. Manufacturers came up with the work around of a button that required a tool and that tool was the tip of a bullet, something the shooter was likely to have on hand. Now the legislature in CA wants to close what they see as a loophole but gun owners see as a work around. But ultimately it's a total BS law.

That was my thought exactly, sometimes I will use one to start a takedown pin but a magazine? I guess if Maura becomes governor we will look more like California everyday.

All sorts of crap came out of CA b/c of the sheer # of potential shooters there. Ergo, the firearms industry is more willing to work on work-arounds versus a state like mASSachusetts with it's measly 7 million people.

There were all sorts of non-pistol-grip style AR's as well, IIRC.

I am at a loss with this one. What gun do you do a magazine change with by using a bullet? Special tool? Does my thumb qualify as a special tool? Wouldn't the requirement of a special tool make a magazine change slower?

+1 on that place going into the ocean.

I am at a loss with this one. What gun do you do a magazine change with by using a bullet? Special tool? Does my thumb qualify as a special tool? Wouldn't the requirement of a special tool make a magazine change slower?

Again, the law wasn't to require a tool. It was to ban removable mags.
It got interesting when they defined what make a mag not removable. They decided that it it required tools or a tool to remove it then it was not removable. Then there was a whole issue as to what constitutes a tool. And yes, some took the position that a thumb is a tool. At first the manufacturers came up with little simple tools that just included with the gun, then they figured a bullet could be a tool. And I'm pretty sure that was tested by the CA courts, but it stuck. A bullet is a tool. And so the bullet button was born.

Do California cops also need to use a bullet button to change their 10 round mags to help with officer safety?

1 LJHj8sHq0AXBDijvxgZv8w.jpeg

The tools are the elected officials. Including Pelosi, Waters and Feinstein.

I lived in LA LA land until a few years ago. The bullet button was born from a section of the
fixed magazine law that stated plain in english that a bullet was a tool. When you had a bullet
button on your rifle it was not an assault weapon because the magazine was fixed.
You could have all the evil features legally! Bullet buttons were eventually designed for all our
favorites like the AK, FAL, G3, etc.
Naturally the powers that be were embarrassed that millions of the very weapons they worked
so hard to ban flooded into California. The registration is an attempt to correct their error.
When the registration period closes all unregistered rifles will be illegal. Worse yet no more
legal rifles maybe created. The San Bernardino attack and murders provided the legislature
with the extra impetus to pass the registration law.

I’ll wager that the armed assault and murder rates will be higher 1 year after registration. Any takers?

Back
Top Bottom