• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

THE GUN PARLOR & NIMBY

The Boston Gun Range was shut down because unlicensed patrons were allowed to shoot.

The suspension will last until the licenses expire in January 2009. However, the chief [Gemme] said yesterday that he could reinstate them if the gun range follows his interpretation of state law, which is to accept only patrons who have a valid Firearms Identification Card or license to carry.The gun range has allowed patrons to shoot firearms there even if they don’t have a license. The gun range asks them to sign an affidavit attesting they have no felony convictions that would ban them from legally using a firearm. The range had followed the practice for years, as has at least one other public gun range in the state.But in October, a woman from Uxbridge rented a gun at the Boston Gun Range and killed herself. The suicide triggered a police investigation and police have since argued that the range’s practice of letting unlicensed shooters use firearms is a violation of state law.A lawyer for the gun range has contested the Police Department’s interpretation of state law, however, setting up what could be a lengthy court battle over gun rights.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CFgQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegram.com%2Fapps%2Fpbcs.dll%2Farticle%3FAID%3D%2F20070222%2FNEWS%2F702220754%2F1008%2FNEWS02&ei=8MRMVZSRGtPrgwSEhIGYAQ&usg=AFQjCNEFgn--BmAX-7N6yV0BAIyfc1pYqg

The Gun Parlor application states that only licensed patrons/members will be allowed to shoot, which should satisfy Gemme's concerns about the Boston Gun range.

The application on file says the range will be for members only, and a firearms license will be a prerequisite for membership.

http://worcestermag.com/2015/05/07/home-on-the-range-gun-parlor-plan-hits-early-opposition/33310

The Boston gun range was a total CF and could not have been more poorly run or managed. The area they are looking to move into is a pretty depressed area and I would think they would welcome getting on of the many vacant buildings in that area filled.

This is why I'm doubting they will get the permit to open this range. Gemme went out of his way in a big way to shut down the Boston Gun Range. Can't see him buying on to another range in the city. It's total BS, but I doubt he's had a change of heart.

The Boston Gun Range was shut down because unlicensed patrons were allowed to shoot.

IIRC, the cops would check the log books, and as a result, a few prohibited persons were arrested and charged for being felons in possession of a firearm.

agreed, i bet with here connections and the anti gun Gemme, this doesn't get past the permitting process....

I agree with you here. Anti-2A chiefs and boards can throw up more obstacles to getting permitted than anyone could ever imagine.

BTW, MGL allows unlicensed people to handle guns if directly supervised by a licensed person. Problem with MA ranges allowing unlicensed people to shoot is that there is no direct supervision provided and thus Gemme would have prevailed in court and perhaps if pushed it would have changed the rules for the other commercial gun ranges in the state as well.

I agree with you here. Anti-2A chiefs and boards can throw up more obstacles to getting permitted than anyone could ever imagine.

BTW, MGL allows unlicensed people to handle guns if directly supervised by a licensed person. Problem with MA ranges allowing unlicensed people to shoot is that there is no direct supervision provided and thus Gemme would have prevailed in court and perhaps if pushed it would have changed the rules for the other commercial gun ranges in the state as well.
The woman who shot herself at the BGC was by herself and not licensed. I think this was the basis for shutting them down. They had also had other issues when they were in Sutton

Back
Top Bottom