• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

THE GUN PARLOR & NIMBY

Enzo

NES Member
The local rag, Worcester Magazine, trying to make a controversy over the Gun Parlors moving to a new location and proposing to add an indoor range in Worcester.
Looks like they found one anti-nutjob to interview who makes some pretty ridiculous claims, one being that this is a residential area.

http://worcestermag.com/2015/05/07/home-on-the-range-gun-parlor-plan-hits-early-opposition/33310

The Gun Parlor is a great shop, well stocked, well run and the owner and employees are friendly and knowledgeable. Im certain that Justin would make this a first rate facility.

“It's a residential neighborhood, really,” Russo said. “There are always kids all over the place.

“All we know right now is he's opening a shooting range, he's opening a retail space, and all the things he's selling are pretty scary,” Russo said.

She used the typical anti arguments: "think of the children!" and "icky, evil scary g-g-g-g-guns!"

Something tells me the Mommies will be making a trip to Worcester in the near future.

The local rag, Worcester Magazine . . .
Consider the source and ignore it. The Worcester Magazine doen't have the chops to start a controversy anywhere except in their little niche world of leftist, quasi-intellectual, smelly hippie chicks and male hangers on, just like when Allen Fletcher first began publishing many years ago. And it isn't improved with time.

How legitimate is the claim that the boston range attracted undesirables. Our was she just being Racist anti?

About as legitmate as the rest of ther claims... Not very. Best of luck to them I hope they get a shot at running a new facility in the city.

Gabriel [owner of The Gun Parlor] said he was not interested in being interviewed for a story, noting it was early in the permitting process.
This is a mistake. This is the time to engage with the neighborhood and start convincing people of your interest in being a good corporate citizen.
Claudia Russo of Workplace Resource at 162 Prescott St. said she was firmly opposed to the gun store and shooting range being proposed. “It's an affront to the neighborhood,” Russo said. “It's a residential neighborhood, really,” Russo said. “There are always kids all over the place.”
And yet she can operate her business in that residential neighborhood.

Residential area my a**. Not until you get all the way down to North St. There's a cemetery across the street, 290 to the back, businesses to the left and right.

Russo is a d'bag.

Last edited:
This is a mistake. This is the time to engage with the neighborhood and start convincing people of your interest in being a good corporate citizen.
And yet she can operate her business in that residential neighborhood.

Residential area my a**. Not until you get all the way down to North St. There's a cemetery across the street, 290 to the back, businesses to the left and right.

Russo is a d'bag.

I took a quick peak using Google earth and street view (170 Prescott St), and no ****ing way is it residential.

It's all warehouses, repurposed warehouses, storage/construction yards with rail road tracks and Rt. 290 behind the property.

The nearest homes are about 250-300 yards up the street.

only now did i realize i was part of that dark underbelly of low lives, that group that calls themseves, of all things....shooters. the shame.

“The [Boston Gun Range] on Grafton Street attracted all kinds of undesirable people,” Russo said. “Are there gang members that are going to come up there and go to the shooting range?”

Ah no it will attract douche-bag neighbors making stupid comments Mrs. Russo.

I took a quick peak using Google earth and street view (170 Prescott St), and no ****ing way is it residential.

It's all warehouses, repurposed warehouses, storage/construction yards with rail road tracks and Rt. 290 behind the property.

The nearest homes are about 250-300 yards up the street.

What are you talking about. Most residential neighborhoods have a large construction excavator with a large bucket like the one at 173 Prescott. My neighbor also has a 3 truck loading dock like the one at 153 Prescott. We don't have a building supply center like the one at 147 Prescott.

Maybe it's 'mixed' use [laugh]

I doubt Claudia Russo has much sway in the neighborhood since they just moved to the neighborhood themselves. And her company sells or leases office furniture, but another business is a no go?

From Claudia's website.

Workplace Resource is a woman-owned office furniture dealership providing superior service to its corporate, academic, and design industry clients throughout Massachusetts. In addition to furniture selection and procurement, Workplace Resource offers space planning and design, project management, and delivery and installation services. The company's offices and showroom are centrally located in Worcester, Massachusetts.Workplace Resource was established in 2000 by Claudia Russo with the singular goal of creating a different kind of dealership: one that raises the bar on personalize client service, builds lasting relationships based on trust and respect, and celebrates diversity and social responsibility.

Through well-established partnerships with leading manufacturers like
Teknion, AIS, and KI, Workplace Resource offers its clients a wide selection of today's best office products, including many sustainable options. The Workplace Resource team gets to know each client's unique goals and responds with effective, creative solutions that optimize performance, improve user well-being, and enhance customer experience.

An approved supplier of the
Massachusetts Higher Education Consortium (MHEC), Workplace Resource has completed numerous projects for colleges and universities throughout the State. The Workplace Resource group is well-versed in the special space planning and furniture requirements of institutions and individual academic departments.

Workplace Resource is a woman-owned business enterprise (WBE) certified by the
State of Massachusetts Supplier Diversity Office (formerly known as SOMWBA) and the Women's Business Enterprise National Council(WBENC).

They go out of their way to mention they are owned by a woman and certified by the state. I guarantee this woman is participating in the state and federal set aside contracts for minority or women owned companies. Sounds like a real piece of work.

Last edited:
Ms. Russo of Workplace Resource apparently runs a furniture business. She also seems like a loose cannon given her statements. I would ask any prior/future customers to take this into account. Yelp, etc.

I'm not being a pain here I'm legit to young to know but didn't Worcester have a range you could light up full auto. And didn't it close due to high gang activity or was that just all Internet speak

I'm not being a pain here I'm legit to young to know but didn't Worcester have a range you could light up full auto. And didn't it close due to high gang activity or was that just all Internet speak

A woman committed suicide there with a rented gun.

Gemme then got his panties tied into a HUGE knot, and pulled permits... Put them out of business.

a vacant, unused warehouse space in the community poses far greater risks to the residents than a retailer who rents and sells firearms to law abiding citizens. Russo is out of line and preying on locals with foolish fear tactics.

Haven't had the pleasure of working with the guys from the gun parlor, but I've been considering a new rifle for a long time - they come up as rather consistently recommended for their knowledge and service commitment time and time again. I will support the gun parlor in the future and am moreso inclined to do so because of this article.

Thanks, Ms Russo.

- - - Updated - - -

you mean there are moonbats out there capable of an honest and intellectually sound discussion?

Good for him. I hope his permit gets granted. That moonbat in the article is a serious whackjerb.

This woman is a nut job but she is also best friends with one of the longest term city councilors. Her 14 year old son was arrested for A/B on a police officer and other charges in 2012 . Although the reasons for the initial contact are suspect they could have easily been explained without getting into a fight with the police. There is an article in Go local Worcester about it but it is very one sided and does not tell the whole story.

If there is anyone you want to open a gun range and do it the right way it would be Justin. He runs a tight ship,Does business the right way. He is one smart fella. Some of the "anti's" are just douche tools!

A woman committed suicide there with a rented gun.

Gemme then got his panties tied into a HUGE knot, and pulled permits... Put them out of business.

This is why I'm doubting they will get the permit to open this range. Gemme went out of his way in a big way to shut down the Boston Gun Range. Can't see him buying on to another range in the city. It's total BS, but I doubt he's had a change of heart.

This is why I'm doubting they will get the permit to open this range. Gemme went out of his way in a big way to shut down the Boston Gun Range. Can't see him buying on to another range in the city. It's total BS, but I doubt he's had a change of heart.

agreed, i bet with here connections and the anti gun Gemme, this doesn't get past the permitting process....

Back
Top Bottom