1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

The "Greta Hits the U.S." Megathread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by 10thSFFD, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

i do not give a shit that others do not give a shit about still others giving a shit about ANYTHING.

I guess i am shitless

10thSFFD likes this.
  2. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

Maybe the question to ask is at what point we should care, Mike. Should we care only when AOC types are finally elected? Should we care only when they give us paper bags without handles so we can carry it like idiots back to our solar powered caves?

Should we care when educational system is working on activists instead of educating our children? Or should we just home school our kids and teach them on our own while paying taxes for nothing?

Where is that tipping point?

Greta and her team is working on this, among many other crazy things:

animal.jpg

As a direct result of their activities Germany contemplated adding 25% tax on all animal products. Our liberals love to copy crazy Europe and we may face the very same insanity here. Should we care only when it is finally implemented? Or will you start giving $ht only when you are chewing on tofu turkey?

I believe our situation with guns is a direct result of us not caring. Maybe I am wrong but your proposal does not interest me anymore.

Brewer, TLB, buckfarack and 4 others like this.
  3. crazymjb

crazymjb

Plastic bags are a lot different than global warming. I hate carrying shit in paper bags... but I also spend a lot of time outdoors and it kills me when I see plastic littering what should be pristine. Ditto for paper straws. Dumb as shit, annoying, but oh well. Since when did being negligent with the environment (well beyond global warming since many of you do not believe that to be an issue) become a conservative/libertarian value?

4. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

Ban guns, ban knives, ban any sharp objects and you will eliminate criminal activities! [party]

The same thinking!

People refuse to take responsibility and refuse to follow their own laws. Thus we need to pretend that we are taking care of the issue by an introduction of the complete stupidity we will also not enforce.

We have laws against littering. When was it last time you saw our police enforcing it? We have signs in our parks against littering and we have fines. Did anyone ever pay one? Anyone? Anywhere?

It takes less energy to manufacture plastic bags. Paper bags and paper products do not disintegrate and disappear as you were told. Plastic takes up less space, it is more convenient......Yada, yada, .......They got you, Mike! We are not scientists here but we understand the obvious and they have to convince you that killing all cows will get you a better air.....And they are doing a great job!

Something is wrong with the humanity when 16 years old with twisted ideas is considered for a Nobel Price.

TLB likes this.
  5. mibro

mibro NES Member

Straw man there, I think. I pick up other people's garbage and carry it out when I can.

The numba one global environmental problem is too many people. Which is why the watermelons support open borders. Uh...

6. mibro

mibro NES Member

I absolutely despise these people. A relative handful of brilliant men gift computers to the world and this is what they do with them.

You can find a Pareto distribution in almost anything you care to look at. The final solution to this problem of white people/Westerners/men being over-represented is Harrison Bergeron and The Handicapper General.

How about they take a look at who produces the wealth/pays for everything for a change. Nice Pareto distribution there.

Emacs and 10thSFFD like this.
  7. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

Youth to adults — join us in the climate fight - The Boston Globe
    On Sept. 20, there will be the first all-ages climate strike (it will be Sept. 27 in some countries). People will walk off their jobs at some point during the day — some will plant trees, others will join protests. The targets will be as diverse as the geography: In different parts of the planet, people will be sitting down in front of pipelines; demanding that their institutions divest fossil fuel stocks; urging UN nations to increase their carbon-cutting commitments; calling for carbon taxes; insisting on a Green New Deal. Athletes have pledged to join in, as have chefs and actors and politicians. Unions and even some businesses have said they’ll take part. It’s likely that the Global Climate Strike will mark the largest day of climate protest in the planet’s history.

new guy likes this.
  8. new guy

new guy NES Member

So basically a big out yourself event.

9. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

Not my kids! [rofl2]

Mass shootings require a call to action. Will we answer? - The Boston Globe
    Across the Atlantic in Paris, American music genius Pharrell Williams and Japanese contemporary artist Mr. have collaborated on an exhibit, “A Call to Action,” exploring what a bright future looks like in this climate.

In Paris, where in 2015, terrorists armed with explosives and guns killed 130 people and wounded 494, there is the Musée Guimet.

You climb a great many steps to reach the dome of this museum where the single-room art show awaits you. Is it symbolic of the many moves we must make to change our trajectory?

The show, in Mr.’s signature Superflat anime-like style, reimagines doe-eyed children, many holding machine guns, in a dystopian classroom.

Before you walk in the door, a “Lord of the Flies” quote greets you:

We did everything adults would do. What went wrong?

Adulting. We’re doing it all wrong. Too many of us think more guns are the answer. We drag our feet on the kind of legislation that creates a shift in gun culture.

Guns first, then children. That is the American way. That was tragically clear when 20 little kids were murdered in Sandy Hook Elementary School in 2012. But we were still all talk last year when almost that many teens were murdered in Stoneman Douglas High School.

As soon as you step into the “Call to Action” exhibit, you feel the crinkle of plastic beneath your feet. Kind of like a crime scene. Neon-colored paint is splattered everywhere. But not even the bright colors can keep your mind from thinking about blood spatter when you see the tiny desks.

Paintings of children, some lying amongst toys while clutching machine guns, hang on the walls.

Drawings and cutouts of kids with pink and purple hair and innocence in their eyes decorate the room. And then you see the guns strapped to their legs or helmets on their heads.

There are life-size figurines of children around the room. One of them, a brown girl with pink hair, has one starry green eye and a blue eye that bears a single heart.

In her hands is a machine gun. Another gun is strapped around her waist like a fanny pack. Pastel bandages grace her knees. With a helmet on her head, she is smiling in her pizza tank top.

“Kids run the world,” Williams said in a press release. “And this work is a challenge to leaders to do something immediately – for a better, bright future.”

Perhaps the future is now. The three alleged would-be shooters in the United States over the weekend are all between the ages of 20 and 25. They were either just born or barely at the beginning of their school years when the Columbine High School massacre happened.

They are the kids who grew up in a post-9/11 world, the children who grew up with mass shooting after mass shooting.

But what about the other young people their age? Some of them are the most politically aware children in our history. Some of them are carrying on in the tradition of the Civil Rights movement. We must protect them.

gl.jpg
    “Carte blanche to Mr. and Pharrell Williams: A Call To Action” will run through Sept. 23 at Musée Guimet in Paris.

10. Waher

Waher NES Member

How green is St Greta’s Ark? Er, not very | The Conservative Woman

Jason Flare and 10thSFFD like this.
  11. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

This article is entertaining because it was written by a complete idiot. I like the end, though:

Greta Thunberg's Transatlantic Sailing Trip Is Seriously Carbon-Neutral | CleanTechnica

“Both boatyards are well aware of the resulting and indisputable environmental impact during boat construction and therefore attach great importance on a sustainable building process: Moulds are built with recycled dry carbon fibre and reused for building the hulls and decks of several new boats – not just one, old carbon fibre material is turned into powder and reused in resins for further construction, all sorts of construction materials are recycled and reused on new boats, in addition to continually pursuing sustainable developments in the boat building domain, notably the use of natural fibres.”

But what about meals, you ask? Is Thunberg chowing down on beef burgers from the currently burning Amazon?

“Greta will be eating a variety of freeze-dried and vacuum-packed vegan meals on the boat, which can be prepared in all weather conditions with minimum effort and minimum use of energy.”

Yeah, no.

It’s all symbolic, of course. Thunberg could have flown and ensured more than sufficient trees were planted as offsets. And of course she could fly on private jets for the rest of life with the carbon credits she’s stacked up for her amazing advocacy and the global movement inspired by her.

But climate change deniers leap on every single opportunity to cast people trying to change the world for the better as hypocrites, as if offsetting convenience is in any way equivalent to their full-throated attempts to continue the destruction of the planet.

Greta is coming to North America. Let’s roll out the welcome mat.

12. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

13. Jason Flare

Jason Flare NES Member

14. Beretta92FS

Beretta92FS NES Member

Hypocrite much?

[​IMG]

10thSFFD likes this.
  15. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

too late,
    she is here
    upload_2019-8-29_18-26-1.png

prepare to be lectured by a 12 year old

16. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

And the lemmings follow:

Teen Climate Activist Thunberg Leads Rally at UN

Demonstrators carried signs that warned, "Protect the planet because your life depends on it," "Our house is on fire," and messages to the grownups that included, "Act now or we will!"

Greta received an impromptu invitation to meet with the president of the U.N. General Assembly, María Fernanda Espinosa Garcés. She took two of the young New York activists with her, Alexandria Villasenor, 14 and Xiye Bastida, 17.

As they entered the U.N. building, Thunberg noted, "There is a lot of air conditioning."

"I think this U.N. summit needs to be some kind of breaking point, tipping point, where people start to realize what is actually going on," Thunberg said. "And, so we have high expectations in you, too, and all member states to deliver. And we are going to try to do our part to make sure that they have all eyes on them and they have put the pressure on them so they cannot continue to ignore it."

Espinosa told VOA that she was impressed with Thunberg because of all that she has done and for "her commitment, strength and intelligence."

She said they discussed how governments, the private sector, citizens and youth all have roles to play to change the tide of global warming.

View: https://youtu.be/8meLjb6XIsE
    gr1.jpg

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  17. Waher

Waher NES Member

18. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

IMHO "sponsored virtue signaling" is not "doing something". I feel bad for this kid because it's pretty obvious she's being exploited by those
    people.

I'd perhaps feel differently if this kid was riding her bike down to the beach every weekend and collecting trash or something, on her
    own volition, but this isn't the case here...

-Mike

Brewer, mibro, Sauer Grapes and 3 others like this.
  19. BrianWilson

BrianWilson NES Member

Mmmmm....hardtack...

Homer_drool.jpg

20. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

She will go from the US to Chile via bus and train?

Sauer Grapes likes this.
  21. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

Time to learn from Poland:

View: https://youtu.be/x818qpeYqKs

Polish armed border guards smash windows of Greenpeace's Rainbow Warrior with sledgehammers

The ship, the Rainbow Warrior, has been in Gdansk blocking the unloading of coal from a Mozambique cargo ship. Greenpeace is protesting against Poland’s continued reliance on coal as an energy source. Last year, the group says, Poland imported around 20 million tons of coal despite the environmental costs associated with the fuel.

“We believe that we have the right to peaceful protest, we were in touch with the authorities telling them we are peacefully protesting against the further use of coal,” Katarzyna Guzek, from Greenpeace Poland, told The Telegraph.

“We were very surprised to see armed guards and the disproportionate measures taken against the people on board Rainbow Warrior. We are a peaceful organisation so we were surprised by what happened.”

Marek Jozefiak, a co-ordinator of Greenpeace Poland’s climate and energy campaign, said that it was “unacceptable” that activists had been “threatened with machine guns”

AHM and new guy like this.
  22. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

I heard she was gonna go back to Europe and do it again. But someone told her she would reGreta it.

jpk and 10thSFFD like this.
  23. new guy

new guy NES Member

Greenpeace is more accurately described as a terrorist organization than the NRA is.

Gak44, jpk and 10thSFFD like this.
  24. Pete85

Pete85

Imagine what they could accomplish if instead of trying to pressure others to do something they actually acted and got their own lives in order. Make their own lives as close to carbon neutral (or even carbon-negative) as possible. Research new methods for producing bio-fuels cheaply and efficiently. Design new technologies that helps others to be more efficient in their own lives. Instead of pressuring other people to do something, get off your ass and do it yourself...

mibro, Jason Flare and 10thSFFD like this.
  25. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

This!

Historically, these kind of movements ended up in disasters:
    Children's Crusade

mibro and xjma99 like this.
  26. jpk

jpk

This kid is going to have a lifetime of mental problems I suspect

xjma99 likes this.
  27. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

"I have Asperger's, I'm on the autism spectrum, so I don't really care about social codes that way," she added.

xjma99 likes this.
  28. AHM

AHM NES Member

In Soviet Sweden, Thunberg hits boat.

FTFY.

Good times, good times.

I'm gonna need a cigarette after watching that (boarding) party...

xjma99 and 10thSFFD like this.
  29. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

30. tazman

tazman NES Member