• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The goose hummock refused to transfer an SKS to me. That and the rifle.

Ooh! Leave the copper winding! Very Bedouin!... I like!

wm_6984824.jpg

Or, Native American...

13082138_1.jpg

People just don't embellish like they should...

Last edited:
I already have a new latch. Just need a new retainer pin. Hence the roll pin set I ordered. Short term i may use an appropriate sized metric BHCS with washers and nylok as mentioned.

Heres some pics of the progress. Random wood screws, copious amounts of wood glue, brass tacks and copper wire complete the stock repair. The previously unsupported forend is now tensioned against the band by one of the aforementioned brass tacks. I wanted to make it look like some NVA field armorer did the repair and it appears that ive succeeded.

View attachment 278339 View attachment 278338 View attachment 278337 View attachment 278336
View attachment 278334 View attachment 278334
that aint that bad, thats good by Classics stanadards
If you pay by credit card dont be affraid to have your credit card company do a charge back for misrepresented product description.....OP already messed with it so mute for this one.
Brownells makes some great brass pin screws for fixing cracked stocks.
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...repair-pins/stock-repair-pin-kit-prod617.aspx

I am thinking of getting a SKS before the supplies dry up and prices go up.
What would be a reasonable price for a mint condition (ideally unfired) SKS?

Not good on current pricing, I paid $99 for my chinese sks and $99 for 1000 round of steel core in 1988.

I sent my trigger assembly to SKS triggers, improve the safety of the SKS carbines

and paid him $65 bucks for a trigger job and I'm a very happy man. He removed the creep and took it from an awful trigger to an acceptable, not great trigger. Get it done.

Not good on current pricing, I paid $99 for my chinese sks and $99 for 1000 round of steel core in 1988.

I sent my trigger assembly to SKS triggers, improve the safety of the SKS carbines

and paid him $65 bucks for a trigger job and I'm a very happy man. He removed the creep and took it from an awful trigger to an acceptable, not great trigger. Get it done.
The problem with the SKS is the safety only stops the trigger from moving. Does nothing to prevent sear movement.
Although a nice trigger on a sks is nice to have. Some are just awful

Too bad Tapco didn't make a replacement SKS trigger assy...

It's all a matter of time, I bought 10 Russian SKSs in unfired condition for $86.00 each....in 1990, long gone now. I think Century was giving away a free Markarov with an order of 20, but what the heck would I have done with one of those.

I already have a new latch. Just need a new retainer pin. Hence the roll pin set I ordered. Short term i may use an appropriate sized metric BHCS with washers and nylok as mentioned.

Heres some pics of the progress. Random wood screws, copious amounts of wood glue, brass tacks and copper wire complete the stock repair. The previously unsupported forend is now tensioned against the band by one of the aforementioned brass tacks. I wanted to make it look like some NVA field armorer did the repair and it appears that ive succeeded.

View attachment 278336

Piecemaker I love it!
Shit looks worse than my real Vet VC bring back.

IMG_3486.JPG

I went to "goose" many years ago. Walked in walked around and walked out. Have had no good reason to go back.
Same with powder horn and a few others down that way.
The only place i have actually spent money at here in ma (i really have not been out much in the past few years)
Fourseasons, outback arms, plimoth bay and zero hour (old days)
Other than that I traveled to other places like Heritage gun and coin and NH like Al's. Basically because they had what I wanted for a price i was willing to pay. Al's was worth the drive for shotgun reloading supplies as was heritage.

I am thinking of getting a SKS before the supplies dry up and prices go up.
What would be a reasonable price for a mint condition (ideally unfired) SKS?
The prices already went up. Hard to give you a price range based on your post. Price depends.....Yugo? Russian? Norinko?

For comparison 2 years ago I paid $450 for a norinko in Excellent condition. Not mint....but well taken care of. Norinko is the lower end of the price range.

These are not super accurate rifles. They work well.....at least mine and the ones I've tried out do. They are fun to shoot....and economical as well using steel cased ammo of course. They are good as a carbine carbine.....short and compact......easy to operate as well. 8 inch steel plate at 100 yards is fun and easy to hit if your paying Attention.....but your not going to win any semi auto cmp matches with one regularly.

Triggers range from complete shit to acceptable. $65 spent with kivari company to do the trigger job made mine acceptable.

The rumors regarding the safety are true....it only prevents the trigger from being pulled. Add in the free floating firing pin and you have a rifle that should be handled with care if your actually carrying it loaded (hunting). Mine has "double" fired before on 3 occasions. Stripping the bolt down and giving it a good cleaning in the firing pin channel fixes this problem.

Last edited:
Chinese 400-550
Yugo 400-500
Russian 550+

Still one of the better milsurp deals today.
If You wait for the minimum number above "deal" you will likely miss out on many. Add $50 (10%) and 450 is still a good deal IMO. The Russians are higher.

No more Chinese (except the recent Albanians ala classic) or Russians imports. Just the Yugos still being imported - I like the early M59 which are shorter and like the Russian than the longer M59/66. But the 66A1 has the night sights and grease launcher and gas block sight thingie that goes up.

Another victim of Sweaty Ben. It's too bad. The last 3-4 owners of Classic have been. . . . classic. I delinked from them completely due to stuff I saw on C&R FB pages and elsewhere. Just a damned shame.

And $400 for a SKS. Things are getting scarce when a $150 gun goes for $400. Damn! Where teh heck are all the $100-150 SKS's that were sold 20 years ago??? Someone has a big cache somewhere. LOL

Whoa boy. Just saw this thread.

I don't spend as much time on that leg of the Cape as I used to but I've gone into Goose Hummock plenty of times. I've bought three guns from them in 18 years, all decently priced and no-hassle sales. After seeing this thread though I am not spending my money there ever again. That whole situation is royally f*cked. Sorry you had to deal with that, OP.

As far as Sweaty Ben goes, that slimy bastard has never gotten my business and never will.

I wish i could have gotten that deal. Unfortunately I wasn't born till the following year...[crying]

Sometimes I chuckle a little when I think of all the guns I own and bought brand new before many of you young guys were born.
That said, I'm glad that they are still turning out a new batch of Gun-Lovers every year...

Welcome and Prosper!
~Enbloc

View attachment 278339 View attachment 278338 View attachment 278337 View attachment 278336
View attachment 278334 View attachment 278334

I also had no luck finding just a pin. I was able to find a latch w/ pin from buymilsurp.com. This was the only place I could find that explicitly contained both the latch and pin. Receiver Cover Latch with Pin SKS Rifles - $16.00 : Buymilsurp.com, Your source for military surplus.$16, so a bit pricey compared to the others out there. Hardware store roll pin would probably be the cheapest route.

The pin is the kind you need a press to deform it to fit. I took the bubba route and just used JB weld and filed it until it fit.

Last edited:
I don't know about a knife length limit but there's machetes and swords longer than sks bayo.

The sks is fixed 10 rnd mag and not an AW. Plenty of Yugos at Cabelas or other shops in the commiewealth. Cabelas you have to ask for a bayo as they detached them all to put them on the floor (store policy). Can't have random bayonettings or kids touching blades riding the Huffy's around the store.

This was a NH dealer or the Brit Cape FUD shop spreading this cockamamie?

Oh yeah, there's definitely no knife length law. This was Shooters Outpost in Hooskett, NH and they were great to work with. They just had to do the check to make sure we didn't have any new crazy laws pop up in MA that they weren't aware of, but otherwise had no problem selling to a MA resident with an LTC. They did say that they wouldn't sell any AR platform rifles to us, but that's hardly a surprise.

Back
Top Bottom