• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The goose hummock refused to transfer an SKS to me. That and the rifle.

Easily "top 5" worst shop in MA, not surprised. The complaints about GH rivaled the gun room only in volume... [laugh]

Well It's on my way home, On the right hand side of 6A. Really convenient place to stop and not at all out of the way. I'd had a K98 transferred through them and bought an M1 carbine there. Figured an SKS would be no biggie. Boy did I eat shit on that one...

I am thinking of getting a SKS before the supplies dry up and prices go up.
What would be a reasonable price for a mint condition (ideally unfired) SKS?

My numbers matching unissued Yugo was $500. Like you I wanted to get in before prices take off more than they already have. I can just see this being like the Mosin situation. But unlike those, ammo supply will never dry up.

I am thinking of getting a SKS before the supplies dry up and prices go up.
What would be a reasonable price for a mint condition (ideally unfired) SKS?
A member here is selling one for $325. I bought a tokarev pistol from this guy a few years ago and he’s a solid dude.
WTS - Chinese SKS - C&R eligible NH $325

The saga of this sks continues... Stopping by my buddies place after work to grab his unwanted type 56 stock. I got a new (chicom surplus) takedown lever yesterday but it didnt come with a retainer pin. Nobody online seems to sell just the retainer pin. It seems like a 1/16 roll pin filed to fit should work but I wanted to see if any of you guys have a better suggestion.

The stock and the takedown lever are the final hurdles before I can take this old thing out to the range.

Man, I was gonna use my C&R and jump on one of these. I’m glad I didn’t. This is the 5th or 6th story about the bad quality of this shipment that I’ve read about.

Did it not come with a takedown lever?
I would probably just tap a roll pin in there and grind it down to the appropriate length. Never had to try this though.

It came with one but it was looser than a 2 dollar hooker. I didnt want a dust cover embedded in my eye socket so i decided to replace it.

My numbers matching unissued Yugo was $500. Like you I wanted to get in before prices take off more than they already have. I can just see this being like the Mosin situation. But unlike those, ammo supply will never dry up.

I have one of those and the thing is great.
Accurate and a pleasure to shoot.
You won't get it back from the wife till the ammo runs out.
Turns out the night sights still worked too.

You mean the receiver dust cover takedown lever latch pin...right?
iu

Not the Piston Locking lever...
iu

If the receiver dust cover lever pin. A good roll pin will do the trick!

sks1.jpg

It came with one but it was looser than a 2 dollar hooker. I didnt want a dust cover embedded in my eye socket so i decided to replace it.

If it came with a roll pin that was loose, just open it up a scootch. It's a roll pin.
I'd use a very stiff chisel-edged putty knife, a block of wood, a hammer and two beers...

iu

I have one of those and the thing is great.
Accurate and a pleasure to shoot.
You won't get it back from the wife till the ammo runs out.
Turns out the night sights still worked too.

Only too right. My wife absolutely loves it and specifically asked if we could bring it to the range this past weekend.

About the knife length law or the fact that the muzzle brake is actually a grenade launcher? Because I was not about to correct the nice folks selling me the gun and make it any more complicated than it already seemed to be. I should have put that part in quotes since it was their words, not mine.

Wow - I had heard about Classic Firearms, but I’d never seen an actual product. I’ll be steering clear of them now.

You mean the receiver dust cover takedown lever latch pin...right?
iu

Not the Piston Locking lever...
iu

If the receiver dust cover lever pin. A good roll pin will do the trick!

sks1.jpg
Its the dust cover latch. The sheet metal part has actually come loose from the pin and has about 40 degrees of motion to it before the main pin actually rotates. I ordered a roll pin set from Amazon. Couldn't find any roll pins smaller than 3/32" anywhere locally.

About the knife length law or the fact that the muzzle brake is actually a grenade launcher? Because I was not about to correct the nice folks selling me the gun and make it any more complicated than it already seemed to be. I should have put that part in quotes since it was their words, not mine.

I don't know about a knife length limit but there's machetes and swords longer than sks bayo.

The sks is fixed 10 rnd mag and not an AW. Plenty of Yugos at Cabelas or other shops in the commiewealth. Cabelas you have to ask for a bayo as they detached them all to put them on the floor (store policy). Can't have random bayonettings or kids touching blades riding the Huffy's around the store.

This was a NH dealer or the Brit Cape FUD shop spreading this cockamamie?

Its the dust cover latch. The sheet metal part has actually come loose from the pin and has about 40 degrees of motion to it before the main pin actually rotates. I ordered a roll pin set from Amazon. Couldn't find any roll pins smaller than 3/32" anywhere locally.

Before you go too far, here is something to ponder...

Tech Sights makes a great sight system for your SKS rifle, and part of the install requires removal of that pin and latch to install the rear sight. It is an excellent system and I have one on one of my SKS's and it is by far the best shooter of the bunch. Well worth the $70 bucks I spent on it 8 years ago. It turned a $300 rifle into something worth keeping. Just a thought for you...

SKS Products | Tech Sights

iu
iu

TS-100 on Left........TS-200 on Right.

iu
iu

You with Tech-Sight installed...

For a short term remedy to your problem, and so you can shoot it with peace of mind as to safety. Go to your local hardware store with the lever (not the pin, but the lever arm) and match it up with an allen screw of slightly longer length, 2 washers and a nyloc nut. Even though it will take 2 seconds longer to remove the new hardware for cleaning, it will allow you to safely shoot the crap out of your new rifle.

iu

~Matt

Last edited:
Here is a photo of a button-allen bolt holding down the dust cover. The user installed it because he was having trouble maintaining "zero" on his scope.
By switching to a bolt, it allowed a more robust clamp load than the takedown lever itself could provide. It worked...

DSC00269.jpg
DSC00271.jpg

I don't see why that couldn't be brazed or welded.
The trick would be to make sure everything was in proper alignment before it was tacked.

Hey Peicemaker, you wouldn't mind changing the thread title to: "SKS-is-Wonderful!-Bada-bing" would you...?

The original title creeps me out a bit...

~Enbloc

I already have a new latch. Just need a new retainer pin. Hence the roll pin set I ordered. Short term i may use an appropriate sized metric BHCS with washers and nylok as mentioned.

Heres some pics of the progress. Random wood screws, copious amounts of wood glue, brass tacks and copper wire complete the stock repair. The previously unsupported forend is now tensioned against the band by one of the aforementioned brass tacks. I wanted to make it look like some NVA field armorer did the repair and it appears that ive succeeded.

20190405_181515.jpg 20190405_181500.jpg 20190405_181451.jpg 20190405_181441.jpg
20190405_181412.jpg 20190405_181412.jpg

Attachments

• 20190405_181426.jpg
    20190405_181426.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom