• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The goose hummock refused to transfer an SKS to me. That and the rifle.

bucket

As promised, You guys get the scoop. The rifle is now in my possession and is downstairs waiting for me to be drunk enough to clean all the cosmoline off. The shop in question is the Goose Hummock, on 6A in Orleans. It exists primarily as a mechanism to separate tourists and rich people from their money. Their primary business is in overpriced fishing shit and rentals of kayaks and canoes and shit. The gun department is in the basement of the main building and is nowhere near the place's bread and butter. It's run by a couple old fudds. Sandy is the main guy and he has another old lackey whos name escapes me at the moment. These are the two who were trying to convince me that the SKS is somehow illegal. The place is owned and operated by a wealthy British douche named Phil. Rumor has it that he wants to get out of the gun business all together, so few shits are given about the operation of the gun dept.

As a side note, down the street in Chatham, on 28 is North Chatham Outfitters. This place is owned by the guy who used to own the goose and his gun guy was brought over from there as well. I guess his non-compete agreement expired and was sick of seeing what a dumpster fire the goose had become under British rule, so he opened up what is a nice, and decidedly non douchey, not terribly overpriced shop. This, by the way is not where i transferred the gun to. I did that through the shop in Hyannis that doesn't blow.

As promised, You guys get the scoop. The rifle is now in my possession and is downstairs waiting for me to be drunk enough to clean all the cosmoline off. The shop in question is the Goose Hummock, on 6A in Orleans. It exists primarily as a mechanism to separate tourists and rich people from their money. Their primary business is in overpriced fishing shit and rentals of kayaks and canoes and shit. The gun department is in the basement of the main building and is nowhere near the place's bread and butter. It's run by a couple old fudds. Sandy is the main guy and he has another old lackey whos name escapes me at the moment. These are the two who were trying to convince me that the SKS is somehow illegal. The place is owned and operated by a wealthy British douche named Phil. Rumor has it that he wants to get out of the gun business all together, so few shits are given about the operation of the gun dept.

As a side note, down the street in Chatham, on 28 is North Chatham Outfitters. This place is owned by the guy who used to own the goose and his gun guy was brought over from there as well. I guess his non-compete agreement expired and was sick of seeing what a dumpster fire the goose had become under British rule, so he opened up what is a nice, and decidedly non douchey, not terribly overpriced shop. This, by the way is not where i transferred the gun to. I did that through the shop in Hyannis that doesn't blow.
Thanks for the update

The Goose Hummock store has been a total Fudd shop for years. IDK why they even continue to sell guns. The late governor Frank Sargent was a partner in that store years ago. He was an inveterate duck hunter, and pro 2A. It is too bad because I believe they are the only gun shop on the outer Cape.

Thanks for the update. Glad it worked out.

Pics of that SKS !!
nsmwr.jpg

Pics will come after cosmoline removal is complete. Right now the stock is sitting at the edge of the fire pit and being wiped down every so often. Shes a rough, greasy old war horse for sure but the chrome lined bore is perfect. The stock is missing wood in a couple places and there's a split at the wrist. Nothing a brass pin and some acra glass can't fix.

Also, how the hell do i upload pics? I see you can link to them, but they're on my phone. Not a website...

Last edited:
Pics will come after cosmoline removal is complete. Right now the stock is sitting at the edge of the fire pit and being wiped down every so often. Shes a rough, greasy old war horse for sure but the chrome lined bore is perfect. The stock is missing wood in a couple places and there's a split at the wrist. Nothing a brass pin and some acra glass can't fix.

Also, how the hell do i upload pics? I see you can link to them, but they're on my phone. Not a website...
I used a Heat gun on low about 6-8 inches away to “pull” the cosmo out of the wood,,just be careful after a couple times and let cool and repeat so wood doesn’t warp.
This is after I cleaned, stained and used wipe on poly. Before this it was caked on and black

Attachments

• 3F1EAED9-C8C3-4A9E-B7A3-10C3D9AE05C5.jpeg
    3F1EAED9-C8C3-4A9E-B7A3-10C3D9AE05C5.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 97
What are the odds... I just picked up a Yugo SKS today at Shooters Outpost and it took a while of waiting for them to verify but they finally confirmed it was Mass legal (obviously). Making it a bit more complicated was the attached bayonet and threaded barrel with a pinned/welded muzzle brake. Of course it was fine but they were really cautious about making sure.
They have one more at $470 if anyone's looking locally. It doesn't look as good though, mine was mint in unissued condition and the second one has some wear. The good thing is someone else did the bulk of the cosmo removal.

. The shop in question is the Goose Hummock, on 6A in Orleans....
As a side note, down the street in Chatham, on 28 is North Chatham Outfitters.

Both these are a funny way of saying Cape Cod Gun Works.
Met the owner at the Healey rally- he's good peeps. I visit that store every time I'm on the cape.

What are the odds... I just picked up a Yugo SKS today at Shooters Outpost and it took a while of waiting for them to verify but they finally confirmed it was Mass legal (obviously). Making it a bit more complicated was the attached bayonet and threaded barrel with a pinned/welded muzzle brake. Of course it was fine but they were really cautious about making sure.
They have one more at $470 if anyone's looking locally. It doesn't look as good though, mine was mint in unissued condition and the second one has some wear. The good thing is someone else did the bulk of the cosmo removal.

HA!

I asked about buying a Yugo one day and the guy told me no way because threaded barrel blah blah blah....glad you were able to grab one!

HA!

I asked about buying a Yugo one day and the guy told me no way because threaded barrel blah blah blah....glad you were able to grab one!

The only thing that saved it was it was pinned. It only took 45 minutes to verify that it was good to go. Some of that was them making sure that the bayonet wasn't over length for any Mass knife laws that were enacted since the last time they blinked...

I paid $500 for a non matching Chinese type 56 last year but it came with a "made in china" 20 rd fixed magazine, not a duckbill but a fixed mag, and the 10rd mag, plus a gas tube with the wood and stripper clips. It was the magazine that drew me to it.

More pics. And complaints about Classic Firearms.
20190331_120753.jpg 20190331_120806.jpg 20190331_123231_HDR.jpg 20190331_123239_HDR.jpg 20190331_123257_HDR.jpg
So this thing is a turd. As you can see from the pics, the stock is trashed. Wood missing in a couple places, split at the wrist, split on the comb. The gun is looser than a 5 dollar whore. The bayonet and dust cover pin are the most glaring examples of this. The bayonet hangs down too far when folded and the pin has no retention whatsoever.

On to classic firearms. They wouldnt let me post the review. An "error" occurred. Bull fuggin shit! What was in their youtube video and their description and what I reveived are not the same animal. This is a $200 poor condition gun. I paid surplus good price. After all that nonsense, this is my reward.

Wow, this really stinks especially after all the extra BS that the ffl put you through. I didn't say anything earlier because I was hoping you'd end up with a nice rifle, but Classic and "sweaty Ben" have a reputation for this. They seem to luckily find the last of some kind of gun and in good shape but quantities are limited so hurry up and buy...

More pics. And complaints about Classic Firearms.
View attachment 277362 View attachment 277364 View attachment 277365 View attachment 277366 View attachment 277368
So this thing is a turd. As you can see from the pics, the stock is trashed. Wood missing in a couple places, split at the wrist, split on the comb. The gun is looser than a 5 dollar whore. The bayonet and dust cover pin are the most glaring examples of this. The bayonet hangs down too far when folded and the pin has no retention whatsoever.

On to classic firearms. They wouldnt let me post the review. An "error" occurred. Bull fuggin shit! What was in their youtube video and their description and what I reveived are not the same animal. This is a $200 poor condition gun. I paid surplus good price. After all that nonsense, this is my reward.

I'm sorry to hear that, sadly they have a reputation for this crap happening. I love the SKS so reading this, I was hoping it would be one of the good ones. They boned you though, no doubt about that.

Did you reach out to them? Is there a chance of a return for a better one?

Worst case scenario, maybe it'll be fun to restore the finish and put it into an aftermarket stock?

I'm sorry to hear that, sadly they have a reputation for this crap happening. I love the SKS so reading this, I was hoping it would be one of the good ones. They boned you though, no doubt about that.

Did you reach out to them? Is there a chance of a return for a better one?

Worst case scenario, maybe it'll be fun to restore the finish and put it into an aftermarket stock?

Im not going to bother reaching out to them. it pretty much says in the description that you get what you get unless you pay an extra $20 to do a hand select. You live, you learn. Never buying another surplus gun from those sleazeballs. Its pretty bad business to buy any old gun sight unseen anyway.

Anyhoo, my buddy who bought his SKS from the Deuce Scummock a while back has since put his in a synthetic stock and is going to give me the wooden stock that came with his rifle. Awesome. Solves that problem. The takedown pin is another problem. Might just break off the little retainer and replace the whole thing with a 1/4-20 bolt and nylock nut. It'll look like shit, but the gun looks like shit anyway. I dont really care. It'll work and I'll have a functional rifle who's dust cover wont come flying off when fired.

I’ve stopped by Goose Hummock a few times when I was in the area. I found a piece of shit spray painted Mossberg 500 for $450. That is when I knew this place was pure ass rape. I rather go to CGW or ODS. The fishing stuff was a shit show sweepstakes as well.

Hey, as long as it shoots straight, you can put a TapCo stock on it, and enjoy the shit out of it.
Take the shipped stock and mount it above your fireplace mantle and come up with a killer story.

I'd go with "Grampa took it from a dead ChiCom on the 38th Parallel..."

iu

And I have only 1 question: How many slivers did you get degreasing it...?

iu

Last edited:

Easily "top 5" worst shop in MA, not surprised. The complaints about GH rivaled the gun room only in volume... [laugh]

I haven't bought any rifle in a long time but correct me if I'm wrong, isn't a rifle such as this SKS that was pre 94 exempt from both the assault weapon ban and the fuehrer's enforcement letter?

Back
Top Bottom