• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The Five NEVERS of Self-Defense

If you look like a victim, there's a good chance you will become a victim.
One of the biggest phenomenons is no matter what, thugs, inmates, street people, junkies can all sense fear in you better than almost anyone out there and they will take full advantage of that. Prey on the weak is almost always the game plan.

Had a guy in London once ask for money from about 40 feet away(clearly needed drug money). I just stared at him and said nothing. Kept walking. Never changed my pace. Dude was pissed off that I wouldn't even talk to him but I was such an unknown he didn't come near me. He wasn't even sure I understood english. All he saw was the look on my face(leave me the F alone).

I am reminded of a 22 y/o girl from NYC who was in Boston for some reason. She hooked up with a couple of black guys at a club and went off somewhere with them for some excitement. She ended up sitting in a SUV in Roxbury with a bullet in her head. Probably more excitement than she wanted.

She violated what her mother probably told her 1,000 times. "Don't get in a car with a stranger."
Around blacks, never relax.

Some would argue that these rules apply to interactions with the police as well.
A good reminder for all.……especially for our daughters and nieces.

Bob
Sons and nephews as well. Don't forget folks like John Wayne Gacey and Jeffery Dahmer
once we're headed down that path, the only "never" is "forget the safe word"
Is "I'll tell you my safe word if you tell me yours" an appropriate way to start a conversation on a first date or with someone you've just met?

Had a guy come up to me at a gas station/convenience store off of I-90 somewhere in Indiana. He asked me for money and I told him that I couldn't help him. He obviously thought about strong arming me, but the guy I was traveling with came out of the store and asked him if there was a problem. Seeing that he was now outnumbered, he walked away. As we drove out, we saw him approach a car with a young couple and a baby in it. The driver just swerved the car right at him until he jumped out of the way.

Bad day, but could have been worse as my friend was carrying and wouldn't have hesitated.

Had a guy in London once ask for money from about 40 feet away(clearly needed drug money). I just stared at him and said nothing. Kept walking. Never changed my pace. Dude was pissed off that I wouldn't even talk to him but I was such an unknown he didn't come near me. He wasn't even sure I understood english. All he saw was the look on my face(leave me the F alone).

Wow, just f***ing wow. At least you're open what you are.
Libtards and conservatards use euphemisms like "thugs" and "bad neighborhoods and schools" to avoid saying black neighborhoods and schools.

We all know this, so why walk on eggshells? I stopped giving a F when I looked at interracial crime statistics. It's exclusively black on white and the rape/sexual assault numbers are disgusting. A good number of forum members are foaming at the mouth waiting to stack cops like cordwood. But don't discuss black criminality. I scratch my head sometimes.

One of the biggest phenomenons is no matter what, thugs, inmates, street people, junkies can all sense fear in you better than almost anyone out there and they will take full advantage of that. Prey on the weak is almost always the game plan.
Funny you say that. I'm 64 years old, thin and I don't smile a lot because I have bad teeth.
Some of my friends say I look like a mean nasty old white man.
So when I'm outside BGRA having a smoke and the panhandlers come around, they usually aren't threatening. I keep my small bills in one pocket and if they hit me up its "here's a couple of bucks God bless you friend have a cigarette while you're at it". Works every time.

My son, who has trained with pro MMA fighters, says the best lesson he learned is, "The best fighting equipment is a well-tied pair of running shoes."
I trained with a DEA guy. He ran a few miles every day as fast as possible. He said if things went south no one was going to catch him.
Yep - what I always had drilled into me was, NEVER let them get you in a car!
AT the same MA school one instructor said you might still get hurt or killed but you have a better chance of getting medical care and if you die at least your family will know what happened to you.
This is, as a few others have pointed out, is the most difficult scenario to face and react to. The closer that "hostage" is to you (in particular a spouse) the worse it can be.

Many years back, on the West Coast, the head of a national shooting organization put a few of us through a training scenario based on such a situation. It was a live shoot under tightly controlled safety conditions. The scenario was a "bad breath" distance stand-off between us students (one at a time of course) and two targets representing a shooter with a hostage covering most of the shooter's body and part of their head. The instructor provided the verbal cues with a rapidly escalating dialogue approaching a threat to shoot the hostage NOW!

I was able to make the shot on the shooter target but I vividly remember the next five minutes shaking from the adrenaline dump.
I'd rather have someone take the shot. I've already mentally planned to move out of the way as much as possible if that worst case scenario ever happens.

Funny you say that. I'm 64 years old, thin and I don't smile a lot because I have bad teeth.
Some of my friends say I look like a mean nasty old white man.
So when I'm outside BGRA having a smoke and the panhandlers come around, they usually aren't threatening. I keep my small bills in one pocket and if they hit me up its "here's a couple of bucks God bless you friend have a cigarette while you're at it". Works every time.
Hey you do what you feel works for you, your 64 and been around the block a few times I’m sure. Panhandlers is a term that I relate to as a harmless bum and not a drug starved junkie shitbag. I got empathy for panhandler types I just don’t have it for the junkie type. Be safe is all

I'd rather have someone take the shot. I've already mentally planned to move out of the way as much as possible if that worst case scenario ever happens.
Just relax and become dead weight - no need to struggle, the miscreant will be trying to hold up your entire weight when you stop doing the job for him.

Just relax and become dead weight - no need to struggle, the miscreant will be trying to hold up your entire weight when you stop doing the job for him.
Yeah, we used to practice just dropping and becoming dead weight. That is also something I've mentally added to my options.

I am reminded of a 22 y/o girl from NYC who was in Boston for some reason. She hooked up with a couple of black guys at a club and went off somewhere with them for some excitement. She ended up sitting in a SUV in Roxbury with a bullet in her head. Probably more excitement than she wanted.

She violated what her mother probably told her 1,000 times. "Don't get in a car with a stranger."
EZPass2.jpg

I trained with a DEA guy. He ran a few miles every day as fast as possible. He said if things went south no one was going to catch him.

AT the same MA school one instructor said you might still get hurt or killed but you have a better chance of getting medical care and if you die at least your family will know what happened to you.

finger in the eye and hit the dirt. the shape of the skull and eye sockets make it so the fingers find their way to the target. i train my fingers too, finger tip pushups and farmer's walks.

This is an old BJJ technique called fly paper. You make as much body contact as possible and make them carry you. Works great on overactive white belts.

street fights, especially with junkies who do not feel any pain are, well, can be sketchy things. you may end up more f-ed up than you would ever anticipate.
rule #0, again.
Years ago I was in downtown Boston leaving work in a full suit. A methed up 30 year old junkie came up to talk to me, couldn’t have been 130# total. I’m much bigger and wasn’t that concerned … until, mid sentence, he turned and punched a dumpster so hard it rang like a fricking bell. If I did that, I would have broken every bone in my hand. There was no one else around, my eyes went wide and went for plan B, asking him with a lot of sympathy “Hey man, you’re having a real bad day huh?” His expression softened and he started telling me his life story like old people and little kids do. I nodded, let him talk, and kept nodding sympathetically while scanning for a metal pipe or a nice big brick. He lost focus and I merged with a crowd headed for South Station.

So I'm watching that, and I'm thinking,
"I don't know what's more disturbing - that video,
or 'Walking Tour The Kensington Experience Open Drug Market Up Close'"

(Maybe not disturbing; maybe "disquieting").

Except that I couldn't remember that video's name.

Except that you all get one guess
what was one of the six videos
that YoutUbe recommended for me to watch
when that video finished.

Ah; it came from this thread's base note.

Situational awareness is a funny thing. You can't be in condition yellow all the time.
The only time I’m not in condition yellow is when I’m in my boat on a lake by myself.
The more you do it, the more natural it becomes

I am neither speaking for nor against what follows, merely posting it for discussion's sake. It comes from Looserounds.com and is wholely the thoughts of the author.

By Kevin O’Brien

"There are some things you must never do when confronted with an armed assailant. We mean never, ever, not because these events never end well, but because they usually don’t, and because violating these hard and fast rules takes the agency of your survival out of your own hands. You owe it to Adam and Eve and all the rest of your bloodline to preserve your life."

What's the saying, fight like the 3rd monkey getting onto Noah's Ark, and buddy, it just started raining.

Most of the junkies I had contact with were unconscious until we woke them up with Narcan. At which point they were too busy trying to convince us that they were Diabetics to fight with us.
You've had better luck than me then.

One of my sketchiest arrests was the passenger in a drug smuggling vehicle who was high AF on meth. Driver warned me, thankfully. Dude was a construction worker, twice my size. Something triggered in his mind about a second before he almost died. The rest of the arrest was fairly uneventful I guess. edit.. Probably the closest I ever came to shooting someone on the job.

I found it interesting that he mentioned "The Onion Field" incident. Joseph Wambaugh wrote a non fiction book about the incident. One of the conclusions was that police officers should NEVER give up their weapons. It all went downhill from there when the two detectives made a "routine" stop to check out what were up until then a couple of low level criminals.

The other points are also good. Because I get bored easily, I spend time when I'm somewhere waiting going through various scenarios in my head. "What would I do if..." which requires looking around for escape routes, where to sit so I can keep an eye on the door and the other people there. I look at people as they come in and try to figure out if they're carrying (most aren't) or planning to cause trouble.

Yeah, I know I'm weird. It might explain why even cops sometimes think I'm a cop.
I'm guessing a similar thing happened to Newton and Azrak, two Border Patrol Agents back before they were Border Patrol Agents (or soon after the title). Rookie gave up his gun when they got jumped by bootleggers or similar types. Both tied up and executed.

It's good to do the proactive thinking, just don't get too caught up in it. :D

A wise man one told me that no matter how tough you are, there will always be someone tougher.....
Not even tougher. Look at the last UFC with McGreggor (sp?). Like him or hate him, he's a tough mofo. Something stupid happened, on the street, he would have been beaten into a coma with a broken leg. One lucky shot is all it takes, or Uncle Murphy jumps on your back.

Back
Top Bottom