Which finish is your favorite?

• Blued with rubber/black grips

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stainless with wooden grips

• Stainless with rubber/black grips

• Total voters
Hijacked this concept from Patrick but I want to know!

And for my $0.02 All the guns I've bought are Stainless and black, except my Glock and that's just because they don't offer stainless, those damn pragmatic Austrians!

I have both, and I don't know, but I just think that wood grips look great on any pistol.

I just picked up some Maple Gunfighter Grips for my Ruger Blackhawk 3 screws off ebay yesterday.

83_1_b.JPG

They are blued.

But I think that the contrast of wood and blueing is really nice.

Depends on the gun,but I tend t be a bit of a traditionalist. It's why my AR looks like what I used in the Army. Just me.

Well, from a functional point of view, I prefer stainless and black grips (and voted that way), but blued with wood is prettier.

Ross

Really depends on the particular gun. On my semis I like the black finish and synthetic grips. (although, as stated above, the 1911 with nice wood looks great)

Most of my wheelguns are stainless and wood. GP100 black rubber with wood insert.

CD

I can't really answer this one.

Well, I can answer the finish part: Blued. Stainless is too flashy and harder to keep clean (of course, the only stainless gun I own is the Super BlackHawk .44 Magnum).

For looks, nothing beats blued with wood grips, either a coco bolo or walnut with checkering.

For shooting, it's gotta be rubber, ideally Hogue. Doesn't look as nice, but doesn't punish the hand as badly, either...

For automatics, it's not as big of a deal, so wood grips work fine. Although original 1911s should have ivory grips... ;)

Based solely on aesthetics I prefer blued firearms with wood furniture. However, I do acknowledge that stainless with rubber grips is more practical. Stainless steel is more corrosion resistant than blued steel and scratches can be buffed out. Rubber grips are easier on the hands, easier to retain when your hands are sweaty, but they can catch a shirt easier.

C-pher said:
Yea, but with Stainless, you don't have to worry about rust and moisture as much and the blue wearing off.

All good points, to be sure...

However... There's something to be said for a gun that's been so well-loved and shot that the bluing is worn off... Let me dig out a picture of my Winchester model 1906 pump-action .22LR...

{digs around)

Here's a pic:

1906_Winchester_22_pump.JPG

Don't let its shopworn appearance fool you. This gun will chew the center out of a target at 50'...

OH yea, that's good looking. But that also depends on the firearm.

There's a difference between and Old Winchester '97 Shotgun, or an old '92 in 38-40 with the finish wore off, and a newer Pistol with holster wear.

But I do have to admit, I love that look on old rifles. That's one sexy rifle there Jay.

Back
Top Bottom