The Family Martial Arts Center. Nope!

jmjkd

Instructor
Every one has seen them in strip malls, the So & So Family MAC offers ONE mo FREE trial lessons.

But what is the “Family' in this family center? What this means is, they are willing to cut you a $$$ deal if Mom, Dad, little Jon, Jill and the cat sign up. A family rate!....That's it. The Family Martial Arts Center.
Ages 5-7 the little coasters
ages 8-10 the little Timbers
Mom does the aerobic kickboxing and Dad does the Adult class and never shall they meet.

With all the economical problems, random violence, and family values that almost cease to exist you might think there would be a more comprehensible program one that would incorporate a family (Team) effort. Instead of segregating the members of the team, they should be uniting them, teaching them how to use all the components of the team to work together.
What if a person is in their house, or the family is separated during traveling, what to do if someone approached you, or your little sister. Every one should know who to call, what do do if a gun is found etc.
Some sort of family plan that actually has something to do with family situation/crisis, protection, lock down.
So what if dad has a gun, if no one else knows what to do it's a cluster f**k. If the kids don't know the escape route, mom doesn't know about the weapons, and there is no plan it's a mess.

If you are serious about protecting your family don't waist your time on the FMAC just do what you think is best for them and save yourself some money and wasted time.

Dr. Len Brassard? In Fitchburg?

Epic fail post

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

the school I attend has family classes, where kids and parents can be on the mat at the same time...

If you're dogging martial arts as a self defense tool, then yes... it's definitely past it's prime, when many assailants are armed with firearms. But martial arts isn't purely self defense. It teaches confidence, discipline, humility, patience, self control, perseverance, in addition to flexibility, strength, speed, coordination, and general exercise in a method that's been passed down for centuries.

Dr. Len Brassard? In Fitchburg?

Epic fail post

I know it's tricky to decode jmjkd's posts, but, I think he is pointing out how these "Martial Daycare" centers have taken over peoples perception of what Martial Arts are. In my opinion, New England is ground zero for this BS. The Martial Arts scene on the West coast is a whole different animal.

the school I attend has family classes, where kids and parents can be on the mat at the same time...

If you're dogging martial arts as a self defense tool, then yes... it's definitely past it's prime, when many assailants are armed with firearms. But martial arts isn't purely self defense. It teaches confidence, discipline, humility, patience, self control, perseverance, in addition to flexibility, strength, speed, coordination, and general exercise in a method that's been passed down for centuries.

I am not dogging the MA, I am dogging the misrepresentation MA schools advertize to the uneducated public.
IMHO Martial Arts “IS” purely self defense. Everything else you mentioned can be developed at the gym or in sports. But when some people advertise self defense and it's about playing fun fun on the mat, well that to me is just another exercise class. Get them confused and you will have problems.
The MA industry is unprepared for what today's society is about. Hey if you are having fun that is really all that matters, but some see things pretty bad and getting worst. All I am doing is giving folks a heads up to make an educated choice when it comes to protecting the family.
There is nothing wrong with rolling around on the mat I do it all the time. It's when you go outside on the concrete that matters.

Roland I don't know the dr. so I really can't comment sorry man.

I know it's tricky to decode jmjkd's posts, but, I think he is pointing out how these "Martial Daycare" centers have taken over peoples perception of what Martial Arts are. In my opinion, New England is ground zero for this BS. The Martial Arts scene on the West coast is a whole different animal.

I get what he is getting at. Len is a superb technician, done a metric crapton for martial arts, as well as having done amazing things for kids with behavioral issues.

So.. it's purely self-defense?? No offense, but what's your experience with martial arts?

EMTDAD I am not trying to convince you of what is best for you, others might have a different agenda for the training like protecting their family. I have enough experience to walk into any MA school and interact at what ever system is taught on any level. But it's not about me, it's about people who are considering learning some self defense and not getting dupped into signing a contract for no more then a glorified exercise class.
So buyer beware.

my daughter does tang soo do. awsome class. she's taught what to do if people have knives, sticks and other objects. floor training, pressure points and most importantly how to get away from full grown men in abduction situations. we did do our home work before she signed. some places just seemed like dance classes with kicks and punches.

I agree, there are all kinds out there.... I know of one place near me that is more "glitz" with loud music, etc, claiming to teach all kinds of self defense styles. Granted, I've never been in there, but a good friend is looking at places for his kid, and has reported on the differences of places he's been to. He said that it was more like an aerobics class than "traditional" martial arts. The place he talks about seems much like the places to which you are referring.

Personally, I'm a first deg black belt in tae kwon do (WTF style not ITF). The highest degrees in the school are Koreans who are 5th deg & up. They teach "old school". One is actually an international referee. Also, TKD is accredited by Kukkiwon in Korea, meaning there's some consistency in curriculum between all TKD black belts.

But again, martial arts is not "purely self-defense". Tai Chi is also a martial art, but would never be used for self defense. There are others that appear to be more geared towards self-defense (like krav maga). Not only can TKD be used for self defense, but also sport, as TKD is an official Olympic sport, just like boxing.

I agree, there are all kinds out there.... I know of one place near me that is more "glitz" with loud music, etc, claiming to teach all kinds of self defense styles. Granted, I've never been in there, but a good friend is looking at places for his kid, and has reported on the differences of places he's been to. He said that it was more like an aerobics class than "traditional" martial arts. The place he talks about seems much like the places to which you are referring.

Personally, I'm a first deg black belt in tae kwon do (WTF style not ITF). The highest degrees in the school are Koreans who are 5th deg & up. They teach "old school". One is actually an international referee. Also, TKD is accredited by Kukkiwon in Korea, meaning there's some consistency in curriculum between all TKD black belts.

But again, martial arts is not "purely self-defense". Tai Chi is also a martial art, but would never be used for self defense. There are others that appear to be more geared towards self-defense (like krav maga). Not only can TKD be used for self defense, but also sport, as TKD is an official Olympic sport, just like boxing.

A*D...?

EMTDAD I am not trying to convince you of what is best for you, others might have a different agenda for the training like protecting their family. I have enough experience to walk into any MA school and interact at what ever system is taught on any level. But it's not about me, it's about people who are considering learning some self defense and not getting dupped into signing a contract for no more then a glorified exercise class.
So buyer beware.

hehe, actually that little line was 110% "about" you [rolleyes]

Last edited:
Roland I don't know the dr. so I really can't comment sorry man.

If you don't know the man, you probably shouldn't comment about his school. I happen to know him, have trained with him, and been tossed around by him and his top students. You are a martial arts purist. We all get it now. If you're not training in a bar punching dudes in the face for realz, it's commmercialized maaaaaan. There are schools that can walk that line and grow effectively, and some can't. I would put Len's school in the camp that can. Do you run around at kids football games and shit on them that they aren't NFL enough?

Here's the owners bio:
Our Studio Director

If the Fitchburg school is the one you are thread bombing.

I am thinking JMJKD is talking more about the "Family Martial Arts Center" in more of a generic term as opposed to a specific school, we have a couple of them up here in NH, my sons and I went to one until the owner sold out and went to CA to teach. the quality of the school declined greatly after that and closed up shop shortly after we left.

If you don't know the man, you probably shouldn't comment about his school. I happen to know him, have trained with him, and been tossed around by him and his top students. You are a martial arts purist. We all get it now. If you're not training in a bar punching dudes in the face for realz, it's commmercialized maaaaaan. There are schools that can walk that line and grow effectively, and some can't. I would put Len's school in the camp that can. Do you run around at kids football games and shit on them that they aren't NFL enough?

Here's the owners bio:
Our Studio Director

If the Fitchburg school is the one you are thread bombing.

I agree with Boghog, I don't think he is dogging FMAC specifically, eg, that one particular studio, just the concept. Maybe I'm wrong.

On another note, I'm going to hell because when I saw this thread this was the only thing I could think of.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I am thinking JMJKD is talking more about the "Family Martial Arts Center" in more of a generic term as opposed to a specific school, we have a couple of them up here in NH, my sons and I went to one until the owner sold out and went to CA to teach. the quality of the school declined greatly after that and closed up shop shortly after we left.

You may be right, and if that is the case JMJKD, I do apologize, and in the case of some of the 'belt factories' that are out there, I agree with you.

Roland we are cool man no sweat...and thank your for posting your teachers bio, he seems like an interesting guy and a well educated man in the field of psychology and it is great that he has helped so many.

But the guys are right I have nothing against any single school.

As far as being a purist, if that means I believe students studying MA should actually be able to defend themselves, then I guess I am.
Further more, I would never s**t on any child, just the adults who are irresponsible for allowing their child to be pumped up with a sense of false security only to fall shy in the pecking order at school. All it takes is for a kid to pussy out on 1 or 2 incidents and he will be labeled and bullied, and sometimes that stays with people in to their later years. No one should let that happen to our kids. No One!

As far as the kids playing football? if there is no blocking, no tackling and the ball is shaped like basket ball, hell someone should give the kids a heads up. ;-0

Roland I post out here and most of the time without a single response and I could care less, but ya know what? If one person saves 1 cent and didn't get taken for a contract or found a school that fits his/her self defense plan. Great!!!

You have to do your homework when looking for a martial arts school. Do the instructors have the needed experience? does the school have a lineage or are they just some random franchise? are the instructors in shape?! Lastly and certainly one of the most important, are the instructors in tune with reality? Now you see all the McDojos popping up that only want to sign you up and upgrade you to maximize profit. their classes are filled with praise and high fives even if you get something wrong. there goal is to sell sell sell instead of really teaching a true art. unfortunatly alot of parents see this type of school appealing and fun. These schools are loosing the true art.

BravoWhiskey I'm glad you can see this fraud. But on behalf of the school owners which I represent in most cases, these instructors don't know any other way and were taught this irresponsible behavior through lineage by there own instructors and are rewarded to continue this outrageous BS. Think about it, a young student studies for 10 years and put a lot of time, $$ and effort into becoming a black belt and now has the opportunity to teach and get some return on his/her 10 year investment. Within the franchise their Instructor still gets a piece of the action through tournaments and testing. Yes the new Black belt gets the test fee's an a portion gets kick up stairs to the Grand Poohar. It's the MA version of a pyramid scheme.
What is worse, the new students are being groom to carry on this same (tradition) BS and in 10 years has so much invested, is now in denial and can't see the forest through the trees.

I dont want the kids learning eye gouges, groin and throat rips, etc, for one thing. And if they get to watch adults train, they will learn such things. Until they are 10 or so, they don't really understand that if they do such things to another kid, it's not like on TV. And until they are 16 or so, they can't adequately control their fear, anger, peer pressure, etc, and not abuse what they have learned. So until they are 10 or so, all they should learn is breakfalls, tumbling, stretching, balance exercises, how to handle kid type stuff. When they get a bit older, they can start to learn how to break the common holds, hairpulls, etc.

I like going straight to the basics, hard combative training. No frills... have used them more times in a sword ring than anything ells. However practiced properly, martial arts will keep you sharp and fight fit! :)

I dont want the kids learning eye gouges, groin and throat rips, etc, for one thing. And if they get to watch adults train, they will learn such things. Until they are 10 or so, they don't really understand that if they do such things to another kid, it's not like on TV. And until they are 16 or so, they can't adequately control their fear, anger, peer pressure, etc, and not abuse what they have learned. So until they are 10 or so, all they should learn is breakfalls, tumbling, stretching, balance exercises, how to handle kid type stuff. When they get a bit older, they can start to learn how to break the common holds, hairpulls, etc.

I take the kids on the same path as adults. No different, unless otherwise specified.

1.Emphasis on the importance of health, fitness and conditioning.
2.Having and understanding of gross motor skills in both offense and defense, standing and on the ground.
3.Developing respect, values, and sportsmanship through competition.
4.Boxing, wrestling, BJJ. Everyone starts the same way.

Depending on the prospect, later we introduce lethal techniques, weapons, survival basics and so fourth.

We never teach lethal techniques to a prospect because if you have no knowledge of gross motor skill fighting you will never have the timing, distance or the proper resistance training to make your deadly techniques work.

Don't be fooled by teachings of a deadly tiger claw to the throat. 90% of the time.
A person banking on this stuff will never get past a good boxer with a jab cross, or a good wrestler with a strong double. And forget it if the fight goes to the ground against even a weak BJJ'er.

Back
Top Bottom