• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The Exchange….or PX?

I signed up for an exchange account so anybody know whether I need a new ID card I think the last one I got was 33 years ago. And how do I stop the DM exchange emails I’ve unsubscribed for two weeks now. They just keep coming.

IIRC: A carton of Lucky Strikes cost me $1 MPC, when the PX or BX got'privatized' the prices rose 200%...So clearly capitalism on base is flawed
I smoked Lucky Strikes in Nam, but never had to buy them. I would save up all the menthols I got from C Rations. One menthol was worth three Lucky Strikes in trade to the black brothers! [rofl]

Last edited:
I wonder what a carton of Marlboros would cost at the Kirtlsnd AFB exchange today?
I used to get them cheap on the Indian Pueblos, but the now charge the same as off reservation.

I wonder what a carton of Marlboros would cost at the Kirtlsnd AFB exchange today?
I used to get them cheap on the Indian Pueblos, but the now charge the same as off reservation.
Last I saw Marlboro was like $12 a pack. More than half of that has to be taxes.

Back in the 90’s I’d buy a couple cartons a week at Camp Edwards and sell them to the guys at work and the bar. I’d make about $2 a pack and they saved a decent amount also.

2592CigarettePack.jpg (53130 bytes)
Ruby Queens: These ropes were like smoking a burning rubber tire

Remember the Bong Son Bombers? A pack of Kools from the PX in trade would get you a plastic bag with ten joints. Each was about 1/2 in diameter and 6 inches long. By the time you had smoked half of one, they were so filled with resin you threw it away and lit another! The fire bases were littered with half smoked Bombers.
The Vietnamese loved menthols!

IIRC: A carton of Lucky Strikes cost me $1 MPC, when the PX or BX got'privatized' the prices rose 200%...So clearly capitalism on base is flawed
I smoked Marlboro's while I was in the Navy in the late 70's...$2 a carton with your chit (punch card). I think you were allowed 10 cartons a month and each time you bought a carton, they'd punch a hole in the chit. I can't imagine smoking 10 cartons a month.

I smoked Marlboro's while I was in the Navy in the late 70's...$2 a carton with your chit (punch card). I think you were allowed 10 cartons a month and each time you bought a carton, they'd punch a hole in the chit. I can't imagine smoking 10 cartons a month.
No-one smoked 10 cartons a month even in a war zone. American cigarettes were a valuable commodity to be traded. Most of us were was too too busy and didn't care.

Back
Top Bottom