1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

"The Equus Men" by Alexandre Binda

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by C. Stockwell, Sep 12, 2019.

1. C. Stockwell

C. Stockwell NES Member

"The Equus Men" by Alexandre Binda is about Rhodesia's Grey's Scouts, both the original unit during the Second Matabele War and the reincarnation during the UDI period. The second unit only really existed operationally for 2.5, 3 years.

The book gives a concise history of both units and has plenty of pictures, diagrams, charts, and stories. The book progresses via anecdotes from contact to contact with the author's summations filling in the gaps. Some of these can get confusing but the overall story is easy to follow. I'd suggest reading about the Rhodesian Bush War and UDI in advance because this book doesn't explain why the war was fought or the political situation - I suggest Ian Smith's autobiography for that. The book explains Rhodesian army slang and while understandable for non-gun people, there doesn't seem to be any gun-related inaccuracies.

The book can be bought on Amazon Smile if you want to support Comm2A or from 30 Degrees South publishing. I think it's a little overpriced on Amazon.

10thSFFD likes this.

2. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

I never understood Rhodesian history. They seemed alright, but I remember a ban in the '80's on granting US security clearances too anyone born in Rhodesia....wonder why? Communists?

3. C. Stockwell

C. Stockwell NES Member

Opposite. "Rhodesia," the predecessor to modern Zimbabwe, was an unrecognized white minority-run state. Their only allies were apartheid South Africa and pre-Carnation Revolution Portugal.

Edit:

Also, a lot of former white Rhodesians became mercenaries after 1980 and the handover to Mugabe. Almost the entire white male Rhodesian population had military experience either as a regular or a reservist. The US tends to dislike merks.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019