• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The end of the Brockton Fair

LTCRN

NES Member
Where am I gonna get my car wrecking leadership now?

2011 i was actually in a demo derby there. They are a f***ing hoot to drive in.

I need to get a car now

I think my wife and I went once before our kids were born. So that makes is 1981-82. That was enough even then.

The last several years the Boston Police gang unit has had a presence down there along with the Brockton PD. I'm sure you all are shocked to find out that gangs from Boston come down and beef with the gangs from Brockton. Probably gang bangers from Taunton come up as well.

No one with half a brain and kids would go there after sundown.

I'm close enough that I can hear the fireworks, but other than it has no effect on me.

bought my house here in 1990, went to the fair once mid-90's, back when pot-bellied pig races were all-the-rage.

no different than any others back then, but not my thing.

first few years of minor league baseball at campanelli stadium was decent though. always met folks i knew.

now i try not to cross the highway (Rte24).. north, south and west are my preferred destinations

A whole article about the end of the fair and this is the closest it comes to saying why it’s ending.
"In the heyday of the Brockton Fair, it was a fun place," Minichiello said Friday. "Now it seems like there's people going to the fair who don't have the best of intentions."

Are they talking about the fair, or about Brockton?

Here in far north NH, I know six people who escaped Brockton, including my daughter's husband and his parents.

i can't see driving any distance to any fair unless there's pig racing. the most fun on 4 legs anywhere.

i remember being in brockton once...1970 and i drove a girl i met at a poco concert home there. 2 things are vivid in my mind from that night. the drive from boston seemed endless and that city at night looked creepy and dingy. that may have been the effects of the chemicals we consumed in the evening but i've never stepped foot in brockton again. that was what? 52 years ago? i wasn't even aware folks would live there willingly.

It was a lot of fun back in the 80's. Once we hit 21 my buddies and I had our annual Brockton Fair Drinking Game. You would have to go directly to the closest beer garden upon arrival, finish the beer before reaching the next one and continue this process to see how many loops we could make before someone puked or passed out. Those were great times.

I went there with some HS friends back ~1964, the demo derby was fun to watch otherwise the place was seedy as hell. In 1966, I installed some electric meters at some of the buildings at the Fair (Co-Op job for Brockton Edison) and my partner and I watched what we could only assume was a seedy pedophile usher an underaged female into a dark place (this was daytime and days before the official opening).

As for the gangs, they existed there in the late 1960s and the police presence has been escalating ever since then.

I for one will not miss Carney's Fair, not for a moment.

Where am I gonna get my car wrecking leadership now?

2011 i was actually in a demo derby there. They are a f***ing hoot to drive in.

I need to get a car now

Drove my first one in.................88? 89?
We'd hunt around all year for Dodge Diplomats and Chrysler Imperials.

I'd run a tow at night with a few friends for a local salvage yard when JM Productions was running the derby back in the mid-late 90's. We'd cover the Marshfield far too.

That whole place reeked of s.t.d's and delinquent child support payments.

Marshfield fair hasn't been too different the last couple times I've wandered through. Always described it as a mix of Kentucky and Mattapan

Like a real one or just trying to leave the parking lot?

Used to love going to Westboro Speedway on Sat nights as kids for the demo derby’s. Definitely cool.

My dad used to race at westborough back in the day, before I was born. He used to take my brother and I all the time. Joey Chitwood Thrill Shows used to perform there once a year. Great times indeed.

Back
Top Bottom