• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The end of concealed carry

The future is already here. It's just not evenly distributed.
William Gibson

31865523474_9335454dd6_o.jpg

Anyone wants to invest? http://knightscope.com/

If I put a sandwich in my jacket pocket, will that cook it?

Call me tinfoil, but I don't trust the BS about backscatter tech used at the airport/ and besides privacy and 2A issues I have a problem with this as well. So it penetrates clothing and somehow does nothing to skin? Yes, lots of natural hazards on a day to day basis but I don't need anyone adding to that 'for my safety'. Wish we would take the Israeli approach and be more concerned with WHO is on the plane rather than what I might have on my person.

energy is low. Airports use backscatter. Which is different from the really high freq radar. Doesn't go far. Time for a group buy on those Glock 7's with the porcelain barrels. These things are a 1984 type nightmare though. Leave it to commifornians in silicon valley to come up with this crap.

4th Amendment much? What would stop a purvbfrom checking out people's junk? I get no expectation of privacy in public but anything under one's clothes should be considered private!

If I put a sandwich in my jacket pocket, will that cook it?

Call me tinfoil, but I don't trust the BS about backscatter tech used at the airport/ and besides privacy and 2A issues I have a problem with this as well. So it penetrates clothing and somehow does nothing to skin? Yes, lots of natural hazards on a day to day basis but I don't need anyone adding to that 'for my safety'. Wish we would take the Israeli approach and be more concerned with WHO is on the plane rather than what I might have on my person.

Last I looked into it, Europe didn't allow the backscatter tech because they weren't convinced it was safe. If you look into how backscatter machines were more or less rubber stamped in this country, it is a bit suspicious to me. I fly a lot (well, used to, have only been flying once or twice a year recently) and I always make them pat me down instead of going through. If I'm going to feel uncomfortable, I'm making them feel uncomfortable too... plus no data storage of my paunch that way :)

Last I looked into it, Europe didn't allow the backscatter tech because they weren't convinced it was safe. If you look into how backscatter machines were more or less rubber stamped in this country, it is a bit suspicious to me. I fly a lot (well, used to, have only been flying once or twice a year recently) and I always make them pat me down instead of going through. If I'm going to feel uncomfortable, I'm making them feel uncomfortable too... plus no data storage of my paunch that way :)

Funny that they don't use backscatter in a lot of the high risk countries. I don't recall them in Tel Aviv, nor in Istanbul, etc. I have pre-check and usually bypass them but occasionally will get the random flag. In the future I think I'll just pass and get the pat down. Probably the high altitude radiation exposure is the worst of it, but why add more exposure on top of that.

[Formerly nuclear project engineer worked on subs and commercial nuclear power plant, trained on radiation control.]

We were taught (6 months nuke school plus rad-con training) that radiation has a cumulative effect on human tissue. So less is best. You sometimes need x-rays for medical/dental issues, but adding to it unnecessarily is a risk that most shouldn't take.

Thus, these devices at airports and elsewhere are not necessarily safe (I recall reading where they did not get tested and monitored for radiation safety) and should be avoided.

The one time I've been directed to a back scatter machine I opted out. They had me take everything out of my pockets and hold it in my hand while they did the pat down. Wallet, key ring, fat wad of cash. No one even glanced at what I was holding before sending me on my way, not even a question about what it was. I'm convinced those machines do nothing but condition people to their increasingly enslaved state and possibly harm them, all while funneling people's tax dollars into some connected person's pocket.

[Formerly nuclear project engineer worked on subs and commercial nuclear power plant, trained on radiation control.]

We were taught (6 months nuke school plus rad-con training) that radiation has a cumulative effect on human tissue. So less is best. You sometimes need x-rays for medical/dental issues, but adding to it unnecessarily is a risk that most shouldn't take.

Thus, these devices at airports and elsewhere are not necessarily safe (I recall reading where they did not get tested and monitored for radiation safety) and should be avoided.

Extra radiation above background is all bad, some is unavoidable but that's why nuke plants have ALARA. If there is a way to avoid it, I want nothing to do with extra radiation.

College kids with their faces in their phones will be stuffing their empty Starbucks cups into that NASA trash can.

- - - Updated - - -

Extra radiation above background is all bad, some is unavoidable but that's why nuke plants have ALARA. If there is a way to avoid it, I want nothing to do with extra radiation.

Refuse those CT scans they hand out like candy. 1/2000 shot at cancer for each CT scan they give you.

Airport scanner dose is 0.01 millirems. CT scan is 100,000 times that.

Airport scanner dose is 0.01 millirems. CT scan is 100,000 times that.

It still adds up.

Where are the dosimeters for employees?

How often are they checked and verified in-spec for radiation?

Both of the above were required for a very long time (unsure of current rules) for very good reason. TTBOMK, neither are done wrt the airport machines. If something isn't working properly a person could get a much higher dose, that is why checks and calibrations should be done.

I believe the TSA has eliminated the walk-through back scatter X-Ray machines in favor of millimeter microwave machines, so the only ionizing radiation is the luggage scanner.

Last edited:
It still adds up.

Where are the dosimeters for employees?

How often are they checked and verified in-spec for radiation?

Both of the above were required for a very long time (unsure of current rules) for very good reason. TTBOMK, neither are done wrt the airport machines. If something isn't working properly a person could get a much higher dose, that is why checks and calibrations should be done.

If it's 0.01 millirems it's less radiation than your body emits. So it doesn't add up, and you also get like 500 times more radiation during the flight than from the scanner.

The radiation is so low that's probably why they don't bother with monitoring it.

If it's 0.01 millirems it's less radiation than your body emits. So it doesn't add up, and you also get like 500 times more radiation during the flight than from the scanner.

The radiation is so low that's probably why they don't bother with monitoring it.

The dosimeter is really to determine if something goes awry and is operating out of spec, more than measuring "normal emissions" if the really are that low.

I believe the TSA has eliminated the walk-through back scatter X-Ray machines in favor of millimeter microwave machines, so the only ionizing radiation is the luggage scanner.
This.

The TSA removed back scatter almost 4 years ago. The scanners they use now are millimeter wave. I always opted out of back scatter, these days I have pre-check so it isn't an issue. It was amazing to me that the TSA folks standing next to those things all day were prohibited from wearing dosimeters.

Biggest problem with the millimeter wave is that there are few studies that show whether or not they are harmful. At least with back scatter you had an idea of just how harmful they are.

Last I looked into it, Europe didn't allow the backscatter tech because they weren't convinced it was safe. If you look into how backscatter machines were more or less rubber stamped in this country, it is a bit suspicious to me.

They were approved when Michael Chertoff was head of DHS and the machines manufacturer was a client of his security consulting firm.

Yep. After my father's first bout with cancer he had reached his lifetime safe dose. So when he got a completely different type cancer 2 yrs later they couldn't use rad. therapy and had to go with chemo only.

Back
Top Bottom