• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The Egyptian Contract SKS

I had some time this afternoon to make some observations on the Chinese, Egyptian Contract SKS. These were thought to be contracted by Egypt from China's Jianshe Arsenal in the mid to late 1960's. The ones that were issued in Egypt where identified by white painted characters on the right side buttstock, according Yooper John (http://www.yooperj.com/, click "SKS", scroll to p.11).

Mine is a twelve million serial range '68, factory /26\, and does not appear to have been issued. It is import stamped from CAI.

Egyptian_Contract_020.jpg

Egyptian_Contract_024.jpg

After some extensive searching on SKS Boards and Gunboards, members have referenced that those being built in 1965 have a blade bayonet, and in 1968 and 1969 with the spike bayo. The '65 versions have bolts in the white, and the later versions have blued bolts. They all have double-crossbolt laminated stocks with the later versions sporting bayonet cuts for both a blade and a spike. Some have laminated handguards and others don't. My handguard is the Chinese chu wood.*

* Since this post, others on Gunboards have confirmed that both original Chinese and Russian refurb hardwood stocks were also used.

Egyptian_Contract_023.jpg

My laminated stock is obviously of Russian origin. As you can see, it initially had a cleanly cut blade bayonet inlet, and then was roughly cut for the spike bayonet. I also compared it directly to my two other Russian laminated stocks, and found all three to have 46 plies - alternating dark and light colored wood.

bayo cut
Egyptian_Contract_025.jpg

trigger recess
Egyptian_Contract_012.jpg

wrist, Egyptian on left
Egyptian_Contract_017.jpg

horizontal laminate plugs on forearm underside, Egyptian on left
Egyptian_Contract_010.jpg

refurb stamp on both, Egyptian on bottom
Egyptian_Contract_006.jpg

Egyptian_Contracr_008.jpg

BBQ refurb paint on buttplates, Egyptian on left
Egyptian_Contract_015.jpg

I have no doubt that my stock was purchased from Russia to complete the gun for the contract specs. I don't have a 1965 Egyptian Contract stock with the blade bayo version to compare, but I would invite some input, pictures, analysis and comparison to Chinese laminated stocks on this subject if possible.

After the stock comparisons, this is where the similarities to the Russians ends. My gun is obviously a short barrel collar Chinese with blued bolt, unlike the black painted bolts of the Russian refurbs.

Egyptian on left
Egyptian_Contract_016.jpg

And it is one very fine looking gun!

Egyptian_Contracr_014.jpg

Any and all discussion on this topic is welcome. There really aren't a lot of details known on this particular configuration of the SKS. My surfing revealed maybe a dozen or so other known specimens from members of both forums that I searched. But I'm sure there is much more to learn. **

**A serial number range is being developed for the '68 production and it appears thus far that at least 21,000 were produced .

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Just think how many people have them and think they own a run of the mill Chinese.

I'm sure that's true, but we still don't see a large percentage in pictures. What I am hoping is that a few more will show up after reading this thread, so that an approximate production run can be established.

So if anyone has a blued bolt SKS, speak up please!

How come there are no egyptian numbers on the rear site and on the serial numbers? All my other egyptian rifles have egyptian numbers on them.

How come there are no egyptian numbers on the rear site and on the serial numbers? All my other egyptian rifles have egyptian numbers on them.

These are built in China for Egypt. Some of the examples that were recovered from the Middle East did have Arabic writing on the stocks.

How hard are these to find?

This is a relative unknown. But if two years worth of watching Gunbroker, AuctionArms, and several Forum Classifieds, and only ever seeing two for sale is an answer to your question, then I can say that these are not very common at all.

Granted, it is quite possible that several people own them and consider them just another old carbine. But that can be said for several other rare SKS's, too. Judging only from the frequency that they show up for sale, or how often they appear in pictures on the forums, I would guess that they are less common than the coveted '49 Tula or the '53 Izhevsk.

Back
Top Bottom