• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The definitive answer of what defensive caliber for a bear attack

Sounds like an anti gun study to me...as I assume those 172 dead bears did not die from pepper spray - the gun MADE a difference in the outcome of these encounters.

There's also a study which shows that people who used pepper spray were more successful preventing a bear attack than those who used firearms - that one was more likely to be attacked using a gun and less likely using pepper spray...Not everything is anti-gun or pro-gun - sometimes it's based on statistics and study... [thinking]

"Not shooting the bear saves paperwork". Wonderful. Jack.

I have been going to Montana to hunt Elk for 4 seasons now. The first year I went out I was talking with my outfitter when we were still in town. The conversation came to Grizz, they were out and on the gut piles and carcasses for that matter, 2 customers lost their Elk to bears opening week. When I asked when to shoot and where he first said without hesitation to break its front end down, no head shot go for the shoulders. Second point was if it is acting aggressive and you think its going to happen if its within 100 yards it already too late as far as getting mauled. Then he said something I'll never forget, he said "John, I've never had to pack a customer out. We'll deal with the paperwork and the wardens if we have to". OK so now along with my .300WSM I bring the 629 loaded with 300gr Cor Bons if the bears and wolves are out.

I have a friend who's a coastie and had a 45-70 lever gun for such occasions when he was stationed up there. I agree more with his school of thought than the study: I think I'd rather have the 45-70 than hopes and prayers.

Back
Top Bottom