The day started great with alot of shooting then the dog.got hit by a car

Wishing all the best for her. I know how you feel - my dog has never once judged me, never failed to be anything short of off-the-walls happy to see me when I come through the door, and even when he was little and innocently nipped at the kids and I 'corrected' him he acted like he was sad to have disappointed me rather than pissed that I bit him.

Dogs are far superior to humans. Humans have the innate capacity for evil. Dogs do not. Dogs are a more perfect species than humans.

Vet called early this morning. Surgery went well. Torn ligament at the bottom of her leg and a very large area of skin on the leg was peeled off and they re-attached it. She is unsure if the damaged skin will heal or if it will die. We will just have to wait and see. She said it does not appear that there are any internal damages (other than the leg) but the next few days will tell us more. She said she will most likely come home this evening. Even though she has alot of healing to do and will be drugged up the vet feels that being at home will be alot less stressful for her than being at the vet. Had to pull out her crate. Hadn't used that since she was a pup. She was never a big fan. LoL. My son is pretty upset he knows that he left the door open and that is how she got out in the 1st place. He will be very happy to see her (hopefully) come home tonight. Thanks for all your well wishes and prayers. They are much appreciated

Last edited:
Glad to hear Leah's surgery went well and she will be headed home soon... I hope she heals up quickly.

Sorry to hear this. Hope she gets better soon.

Me too.

Reminds me why I NEVER let my dogs loose...EVER.

My GSD, Baron, was hit and killed in front of my house.

My sons were 10 and 13 at the time, and it was really hard.

Sorry to hear. My dog was hit by a car and the person did not stop... but many others did and comforted her before I could find her. She had a broken neck! She survived even though the Dr gave her a 30% chance of survival. Leah should be fine after making it through surgery. Dogs are tough survivors. Just give her some love and let her know how much she means to you. Dogs are definitely family. Prayers for her recovery.

She is home now and just laying in her crate. Doc said she needs to pretty much be confined to her crate for 10-14 days other than 2-3 very quick leashed walks right outside and back in. Doesn't want her moving it to much and opening up her stitches. She is pretty down not sure if it's the drugs or pain. She has no food restrictions and is eating so she will get a few pieces of the fat from my steak tonight mixed with her dinner.

Something funny I forgot to mention. When she was laying in the road and was about to run back to get the car. I took off my shirt to put around her I was wearing a sleveless undershirt and my shield in my iwb holster at about 4:00. They guy who hit her looked at me and asked if it was real I told him that carrying a fake gun would be useless. LoL. He kind of looked at me odd and confused.

My son is pretty upset he knows that he left the door open and that is how she got out in the 1st place. He will be very happy to see her (hopefully) come home tonight.
Don't let your son beat himself up too much. Accidents to happen. A hard lesson to learn, but hopefully he won't be too scarred from it. Glad to read the updates that she is going home.

Don't let your son beat himself up too much. Accidents to happen. A hard lesson to learn, but hopefully he won't be too scarred from it. Glad to read the updates that she is going home.
I can see this really making him understand how important it is to keep the door closed. Kind of like a young kid and the radiator you can tell them it's hot but most kids need to touch it once to really understand

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

glad to hear your puppy will be okay.....worse thing in the world is seeing or hearing an animal get hit by a car.....speedy recoveries!!

It is great to hear that Leah is home! God bless her.

Her appearing down may be dysphoria related to the anesthesia and opioids utilized for her pain management. I will caution you with offering her cooked fats, as they can precipitate pancreatitis and are difficult to digest. The fact she is eating already is wonderful; slow and steady and keep her hydrated.

I am going through the post op period here with my GSD. I conferred with several Vets from various disciplines and researched a ton. You may want to investigate the Assisi Loop, as an adjunct to wound healing, pain control, and it is simple to use. http://www.assisianimalhealth.com/post-surgical-healing/

Additionally you may consider seeking Low Level Laser treatments to help expedite her healing and pain control. Some Veterinary practices will teach you to use one and rent the appropriate laser to you. There are also vendors online that will rent veterinary grade therapeutic lasers.

If it is economically feasible, when appropriate, some physical therapy may be beneficial to help restore muscle strength and mass to maximize her comfort and safeguard her back and other limbs from injury due to compensating for her present injury/limitations.
There are some decent online resources that can teach a lot of techniques that you can do, if you wish to forego the formal rehab.

I wish you peace, as your nerves must have been on end throughout this ordeal. Continued prayers are being sent from me and my pups to Leah for an optimal recovery. Blessings!

Sorry to hear about this. If she is eating she is going to be fine.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

How's your precious girl doing? Sending positive vibes and wellness wishes!

She seems to be doing pretty good. Not happy to be confined to her crate but that's what is needed. She is showing signs of improvement. She always laid down on her left side and her left rear leg got it the worst and has alot of stiches in it so it took her some adjusting but she started laying down on her right side. Well starting last night she was back to her laying on her left side that tells me she is improving. They had to stitch and re-attach alot of skin. A small part of that skin was really thin. Vet was unsure if it was gonna survive. We will find out tommorow night when we go to the vets. The majority of the wound (stiched up area) seams to be healing really well but that area of thin skin has me concerned.

The technical term for the damage to her left rear leg is "de-gloved" just picture what happens when you remove a rubber glove from your hand. That is what her skin did in her leg. Pretty scary but we are being positive here since we are seeing signs of improvement

Back
Top Bottom