45BPCR

NES Member
I thought I'd put this out here.

Are there any folks here interested in learning how to load Black Powder in center fire cartridges?
Be it pistol or rifle.
Your inner desire for Flame, Smoke and Stink can't be denied.

I have all the reloading equipment needed for the following calibers.
I have the proper bullet lubes and sizer dies for these calibers as well.
I can show you how easy clean up is.
You'd be surprised

Pistol calibers.
38/357
44 special and magnum
45 long colt.

Rifle calibers.
38-55
38-50 Remington Hepburn
40-65
45-70
45-90
50-70 ( I think, unless I gave it away )

I'm not interested in charging a fee for this.
Donations for heat and lights might be considered.

After all, we all know Smokeless Powder is just a passing fad.

C

If I wouldn't likely die of an asthma attack, I'd love to load some 45 Colt with black powder. Sounds like fun. I haven't even gotten the gun yet and potentially blowing it up sounds like a good time.

Shot black powder once and nearly died, so I think I have to pass on this, but I really hope someone takes you up on it.

If I wouldn't likely die of an asthma attack, I'd love to load some 45 Colt with black powder. Sounds like fun. I haven't even gotten the gun yet and potentially blowing it up sounds like a good time.

Shot black powder once and nearly died, so I think I have to pass on this, but I really hope someone takes you up on it.

Remember to exhale after you shoot it, don't inhale lol

I shoot Schuetzen in a 38-55, but am looking to make up some holy black powdah loads for the Italian model 1870/87 Vetterli-Vitali, using the 10.4x47R cartridge.

The cartridge was designed to use a heeled bullet, but right now I’m having great successusing 44 Mag 0.430” bullets sized down to 0.426”, over 16.6-grains of smokeless Alliant 2400 powder. The sizing is needed due to the case neck thickness & bullet size, vs. throat size.

Perhaps we should setup a BP cartridge rifle day!

i have loaded 45LC, 40-65 and 45-70 but not very much. Would love to get more experience and be shown the correct way to do it. I mostly was figuring things out myself. PM me where your located i would love to learn more.

You'd be hard pressed to ruin a rifle at BP pressures.

Unless you attend a Match that shoots BPCR, it is hard to learn how to do it.
Being down on the ground with your rifle and hand loads.
Listening for range commands while trying to filter out the chatter from your fellow shooters.
Trying to see that small steel animal at 2,3,4 or 500 meters

Googlefu will net you an overflow of conflicting information.
Most of it,somewhat useless.
It's really, after all, old information.
Folks have but pen to paper for many years talking about it.

There's always someone trying to re-invent the wheel.

We have Lab Radar and Magnetospeed.
We use RCBS Chargmasters
We have a multitude of high volume Dillion presses
We have casting pots with built in PDI controllers.
We have competition seating dies.
We have a plethora of information and tech available to us.
We read to much into it.

I shoot modern stuff as well.
I'll admit to a 6.5 preference.
6.5X55 with a 6-6 twist in a long 700 action
A healthy dose of H1000 does the trick
My SD's are 12 to 13

My BP loads in my 40-65 run about 6.
Using a 400 grain or so cast lead bullet

C

Possibly a silly question but what is the attraction of loading modern firearms with black powder ammo? I enjoy shooting my black powder guns but man are they time-consuming to clean afterwards.

120+year old Military rifles were designed to shoot BP.
As were the sporting rifles.
As were the Long Range Target rifles.

Todays modern rifles have better steel, better sights and better triggers.

Here's a 300 yd target from a Browning 1885 chambered in 40-65 using BP and Iron sights
It was the quickest photo I could find.

Attachments

• IMG_4006.JPG
    IMG_4006.JPG
    371.3 KB · Views: 7
120+year old Military rifles were designed to shoot BP.

Less they ‘can and will shoot’ with a smokeless load that mimics the BP velocity, provided your cast boolit fits the bore properly. Two cases in point:

-150 year old Italian Vetterli/Vitali model 1870/87 of 10.35x47R cartridge ... using a non-heeled 240-grn cast over 16.6 grains of 2400, I shot a 10-shot 3” group - witnessed 3-weeks ago (offhand at 100-yards) whilst using it at the Reading Club’s weekly Winter milsurp shoots.

-Other, a Stevens 44-1/2 Schuetzen (metal work by Paul Shuttleworth, model 52 stock by me) of 38-55 Win cartidge ... using a 255-grn cast over a BP-replica charge of SR4759, will hold the black offhand at 200-yards (Soule aperture sight), yet is capable of all in the X if/whilst benched.

My apologies for being "dark".
The 2021 season has started for me.
I'm traveling and shooting BPCR Silhouette again.

I live for this stuff :)
Flame, Smoke and Stink.

As for showing those interested in the loading process, I'm still willing to do so.
I figure it could be a win - win for all involved.
I can show you how it's done and those interested can load the copious amount of Match ammo I shoot!

On the serious side though, the beginning of June I'll have time to do it.
Weekdays, week nights and or weekends all work for me with advance planning.
I have a shop right off Rt. 93 Exit 5 in NH.

I know, there's alot of load data out there for smokless.
If that works for you great.
For BPCR Silhouette, in an NRA registered match, the ammo rules state "Black powder or substitutes". A plain base cast lead bullet.
So that's what I shoot.

If your interested, PM me

I thought I'd put this out here.

Are there any folks here interested in learning how to load Black Powder in center fire cartridges?
Be it pistol or rifle.
Your inner desire for Flame, Smoke and Stink can't be denied.

I have all the reloading equipment needed for the following calibers.
I have the proper bullet lubes and sizer dies for these calibers as well.
I can show you how easy clean up is.
You'd be surprised

Pistol calibers.
38/357
44 special and magnum
45 long colt.

Rifle calibers.
38-55
38-50 Remington Hepburn
40-65
45-70
45-90
50-70 ( I think, unless I gave it away )

I'm not interested in charging a fee for this.
Donations for heat and lights might be considered.

After all, we all know Smokeless Powder is just a passing fad.

C
I highly suggest people take him on his offer.

Reloading BP is awesome, and very easy. It can also be weird going from smokeless to BP because a lot of things you would never do with smokeless you want to do with BP (like compressing).

Also, BP is safer than smokeless.

@The Goose taught me how to reload BP several years ago.

Possibly a silly question but what is the attraction of loading modern firearms with black powder ammo? I enjoy shooting my black powder guns but man are they time-consuming to clean afterwards.
Because, shooting an 1870 rifle and being more accurate at 100-200 yards than anyone with an AR at the range is awesome.

You can also experiment a lot more with BP and loads.

To me, it is about enjoying the guns the way they were meant to be shot rather than going through all the work of trying to figure out a smokeless load and still not be as accurate as BP.

And the smell.

But, if I won the Mega Millions, I would hire someone to clean the guns.

Back
Top Bottom