• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The danger of Fudds

I was reading a bit on Va Gov Mcauliffe and I began to wonder "Are Fudds more dangerous to 2A rights than Bloomberg?" He claims that he is a gun owner. Now there is no real reason to doubt him. I could find no pics of him hunting or shooting but I'm sure that's what his focus would be. He will go out ti Iowa as many pols do and get dressed up in hunting cammo and then sit in the blind and not come back with anything.

It seems like fudds (most if not all) are ok with one gun a month. They can't understand why someone would need more than their over under, deer rifle, or duck gun. They're fine with putting all their faith into the gov or police to protect them as they don't see the need to have a concealed carry. They buy into the the black guns are scary. That they're "military grade, rapid fire, assault weapons, that are only meant to kill people. They're ok with background checks. They're ok with mag limits and they're quickly becoming the best friends of anti-gunners. anti-2a groups hold them up as props "see here everyone this is a gun owner and they think we are right".

So how do we stop the spread of Fuddism? When a friend says I'm all for no restrictions but I'm OK with "X". Or when you encounter one at say the range and they say "why do you need a gun like that?" How do we say "hey stop being a jerk and fing it up for the rest of us" with out further turning them against us and maybe getting through to them?

I'm sure that we all see that having the Fudds on our side is important. I'd bet that they are a big portion of the gun owning population of the US. The Second would probably be the Pink Hat Fudds (PHF's trade mark pending). These are the people that have 1 handgun at home for home defense, keep it locked up, unloaded, and never fire it. How do we gt these people to embrace the no restrictions with out pissing them off (or having a stroke when talking to them)?

Point out that it's a "divide and conquer" strategy. The aim is to pit one group of gun owners against another. A similar stunt has been attempted against motorcycling, with environmental groups trying to pit dirtbike owners against road riders, and insurance companies trying to set those who ride high-horsepower, fully-faired sportbikes against riders of more sedate touring, commuter, and cruiser machines.

You can also point out that the "reasonable restrictions" game is a slippery slope, and that many countries have played the "reasonable restrictions" game for decades, with multiple rounds of ever-tightening "reasonable restrictions" being applied until civilian firearms ownership has been rendered virtually nonexistent, and available only to the wealthy and privileged.

First, you must draw a distinction between a Fudd, and a politician.

A Fudd may have overly conservative ideas about what is "ok" for a gun (or carry, or whatever)

A politician is in the business of not pissing off as many people as possible. If you have a Pol that is not out-and-out Anti, you need to be satisfied. "Politics is the art of the possible" - Bismark

And before you start throwing around the "Fudd" term, remember that there are many that consider themselves non-Fudds that have problems with the lawful open carry of long guns "Because it makes us look bad." That's the same rationale that a Fudd that only has a .38 revolver, and a Citori uses when he trashes a killy EBR with a banana clip.

Just as Antis lump all Pro 2A folks in as NRA Baby-murderers, lumping in all people with an aversion to EBRs (for whatever reason) as Fudds is wrong.

Big tent, and all that.

See the problem is with the closing of the West and the end of the 50's when JFK was killed and the Great Society got started by LBJ ( yeah I know 1964 but that's how long the 50's really lasted) firearms and guns in this country were for the most part all about sporting. Sure there were wars and plenty of war surplus guns that became sporterized hunting rifles. The whole concept of guns and gun ownership was different back when we were white middle class America. Cops carried revolvers and the idea of a patrol rifle was maybe a 30-30 Winchester. Any police long arm was a shotgun usually a Winchester, Remington or Ithica. Club rules were based on bullseye target shooting.

Lotsa of FUDDs were brought up in this mindset. That's the problem. You think it was always the way it is now, but it wasn't. It wasn't utopia but gun culture was on a different level. Things changed but theFudd still think June Cleaver is hot.

Sadly the best thing you do is be patient
patient and try to educate them. They stood for 2a rights back in the day and comprised for all the right reasons cuz that was the American way. Fudds were your grandfathers, fathers and uncles. Lotsa of them still around. Lotsa of them mean well. Lotsa of them can shoot too, much better than a lot of you, and they can kill things because they know how to hunt including deer, moose, Japs, Krauts, Chinese and Cong. They don't get it because they understand America not Amerika.

If they can come for the handguns and EBRs, what's to stop them from your side by side? Have you ever seen taxes come down a lot? You think gun restrictions and regulations will stop before it affects you?

That's the route I'd take. It will knock on their door eventually.

Back
Top Bottom