• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The Daily Show

Dennis in MA

NES Member
I've spent a lot of time watching old comedy re-runs on Comedy Central. (Mostly That 70's Show - very well done.)

There are COUNTLESS adverts for the "news" shows on CC that are effectively just anti-Trump shows. Several have come and gone as people don't care. They had The Opposition with Jordan Someone. Some fake Trump show. Annoyingsounding Jim Jeffries is still around, but weekly (weakly?). I'm sure I've forgotten 3-4 more that have come and gone.

But The Daily Show still remains. ???? Is anyone really watching?

Turns out, No! They aren't.

When Jon Stewart ran it, it was left-leaning, but he was fair. When Obama F'd up, he called him on it. When a R did something good, he praised them. He was a bit left of most of the late-night hosts - he just criticized everyone b/c it was funny.

Then this Trevor Noah cat comes in. Completely unfunny. The guy is just Not. At. All. Funny!

And he's got this anti-Trump thing down to a science. He never met an untrue sound-bite he didn't like. Hell, he praised that dumb-as-a-rock dumpster fire waitress-running-for-Congress from NY. Corazone Aquino or whatever her name is. She says crap like there are 200 million people out of work in the US and he's all nodding and Mmmm'ing and s-word! WTF,O???

They push that show through commercials like it was going out of style. Crazy! So I did some research.

Back in 2013, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart reached 2.5 MILLION people a night, on average. Not bad for a 3rd rate cable channel going up against tons of news in that slot plus 3 or 4 other interview comedy shows. He continued to do well until his retirement in 2015/6.

Noah took over 2 years ago. He's DOWN to 540K viewers a night. Down EIGHTY percent!!!!

I think this "look at me call them stupid" entertainment thing has finally gotten to an end. Maybe SNL will be funny once more. Maybe.

I'll be happy when this tool is off my TV. This will be looked at with ??? like the era of those creepy puppets back in the late 80's. Between the crank-yankers or whatever and the "sitcom" of fake puppet celebs, it was Uber-creepy. If you weren't around during that time, you'd not understand.

(Here is a clip of them in the Phil Collins song)

I'd rather watch that than the Daily Show. LOL

There are two Americas right now: The LEFT America, and the WHAT'S LEFT OF America. Trevor Noah is obviously appealing to the former. Probably 99% of us here on NES are of the latter. TN DOES NOT CARE that we're not watching, even if it hurts his ratings. He is of the pagan religion that progressivism has become. Make no mistake about it - progressivism IS a religion. Belief in it necessitates the destruction/de-construction of all traditional American institutions and likewise the destruction of the traditional American (and Christian) worldview.

Trevor Noah and others like him in the entertainment industry don't even care whether or not people think they're funny, because in their minds the platforms they're using are simply the means to an end.

I used to like The Daily Show back in the Stewart. There was a time 8-10 years back I didn't miss an episode. I knew he and the show were left of center by a good bit but some of it was pretty funny. I haven't watched a single episode of the show in years. I have seen a total of about 10 mins of Trevor Noah and I'm all set with not watching anymore.

Back when I was an unthinking younger man I used to love The Daily Show. I'd have to revisit it to see how it's changed but I don't remember it being just non-stop hard left drivel. I seem to recall there were some jokes in there as well.

The late night joke readers used to be able to say some funny things in the past. Now they all have TDS and there is nothing of them worth salvaging.

Never been a big fan of the daily show, but I have watched it on occasion. It was funny, Stewart did a good job. I watched it once after he left just to see how it would be, and that was it, no need to ever watch again.

good post and I am the same way as you OP...I watch alot of shows on that channel and every commercial I have ever seen from that shill hack is something about Trump...broken record of unfunny

It's everywhere these days. I made the mistake of watching the first episode of the Murphy Brown resurrection. Industrial strength TDS masquerading as a sitcom.

The problem I have with John Stewart, Colbert, etc is that they are super biased and essentially are seeking to entrench the younger generations in their extreme bias. But if anyone calls them on it they hide behind the comedy curtain and argue that they are just satirists. I think that is disingenuous to put it mildly.

Oh yeah, Spitting Image. Those puppets had their own show. It was British if I remember correctly. They used to love Ronnie and Nance Reagan and Sylvester Stallone. Pretty funny shit.

The problem I have with John Stewart, Colbert, etc is that they are super biased and essentially are seeking to entrench the younger generations in their extreme bias. But if anyone calls them on it they hide behind the comedy curtain and argue that they are just satirists. I think that is disingenuous to put it mildly.
I think you’re right, but I don’t think it’s always been that way. About 10 years ago I watched the daily show/Colbert when I was up that late. They were left leaning and actually funny. I’ve seen just a couple minutes of Noah and that was enough. It’s not funny, it just seems hateful. Maybe it’s just the way it comes across to me.

This reminds me of the Air America days. Not the "original" Air America with pilots like Tony Stark landing on half'a'mountain to deliver drugs for the CIA. The radio station that the liberals put up that they called Air America because it was about restricting people's freedom for. . . well. . . freedom. LOL

Eventually, it went out of business. They were PISSED no one listened. PISSED! LOL. Rush had millions listening each day just to HIS program. They couldn't piece together 1 million people a day that happened to tune in. Even by accident! LOL

I suspect CS will pull the plug at some point on almost all of it. It's cheaper to run That 70's Show reruns than this crap. And if it's only going to bring in 500K people, why bother with a budget in the first place? They are likely paying Noah $2-3M a year, plus the rest of the budget.

Looking at the old headlines online, over a year ago, Noah signed a 5 year contract. Viewership was around 1.3M. Less than Stewart, but they were "modifying it to be more TrevorNoah'y." Now it's all Noah all the time. And down 62%. I suspect CS is sorta kicking themselves. LOL

Back
Top Bottom