The Crap Keeps Flowing

JonJ

NES Member
So this morning, I turn on the local radio station and the DJ is talking to Lt. Detective Bruce Gordon of the MSP. The chat was about Workplace Violence. I'm doing this from memory so the quotes are not exact. The good Lt states that 1100 people are killed each year in the workplace, 90% of those murdered. Of the 90%, 85% are from gunshots. The DJ askes, "What are some of the red flags that someone may comitt workplace violence?". The Lt responds with #1 on the list, someone who is a hunter or who has prior military service!!!!!!
Then he goes on to list the usual suspects, bullies, disgruntled employees, someone burned in a business deal, people stressed over a family death etc....

Can you FREAKING believe it? Hunters??? Veterans???
Come on Brucie, you running for a political office too???
I guess the MSP feels that lawful firearm owners and those with military experience are potentially dangerous persons.

Last edited:
That is unbelieveable. I wonder where he is getting his stats from. 1100 seems pretty high. And his expertise on the profile of someone who will commit the crime is gold. I guess people here better keep and eye on me.

An average of 1.7 million people were victims of violent crime while working or on duty in the United States, according to a report published by the Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS), each year from 1993 through 1999. An estimated 1.3 million (75%) of these incidents were simple assaults while an additional 19% were aggravated assaults. Of the occupations examined, police officers, corrections officers, and taxi drivers were victimized at the highest rates.
For the same time period, over 800 workplace homicides per year were recorded by the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries.

Risk Factors

A number of factors may increase a worker's risk for workplace assault, and they have been described in previous research [Collins and Cox 1987; Davis 1987; Davis et al. 1987; Kraus 1987; Lynch 1987; NIOSH 1993; Castillo and Jenkins 1994]. These factors include the following:

Contact with the public

Exchange of money

Delivery of passengers, goods, or services

Having a mobile workplace such as a taxicab or police cruiser

Working with unstable or volatile persons in health care, social service, or criminal justice settings

Working alone or in small numbers

Working late at night or during early morning hours

Working in high-crime areas

Guarding valuable property or possessions

Working in community-based settings

I didn't see hunter's or vet's anywhere in this research.

Anything on employee on employee violence? I mean as a customer I choke the guy at the cash register all the time, what about co-worker violence? :D

JonJ said:
The good Lt states that 1100 people are killed each year in the workplace, 90% of those murdered. Of the 90%, 85% are from gunshots. The DJ askes, "What are some of the red flags that someone may comitt workplace violence?". The Lt responds with #1 on the list, someone who is a hunter or who has prior military service!!!!!!

THAT is ABSOLUTE HORSESHIT! If there were 1100 killed every year, that would be one of the tag lines that the anti's would be using. Also - he has to be talking nation wide, not state wide....but that's besides the point. He's got ulterior motives. VETRANS???????? Gimme a freaking break!!!!!!! (I have to go find my happy place now....my blood pressure has just been screwed for the rest of the day. This P's me off to no end....) :x

I believe he was refering to nationwide.
I know how you feel Lynne. I was just as worked up. Add to this that it's a police officer saying this stuff and people get the impression that all cops feel the same way. WRONG!

JonJ said:
I believe he was refering to nationwide.
I know how you feel Lynne. I was just as worked up. Add to this that it's a police officer saying this stuff and people get the impression that all cops feel the same way. WRONG!

And he's still wrong on his numbers. See my post above.

Back
Top Bottom