1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

The comprehensive, omnibus Mountain Bike Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by carbuncle, Aug 16, 2014.

1. mu2bdriver

mu2bdriver NES Member

upload_2019-9-17_14-37-38.jpeg
    The thing rode like a beast. I’m really happy with my decision.

Salyeica likes this.
  2. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

mu2bdriver likes this.
  3. mu2bdriver

mu2bdriver NES Member

I believe you did earlier. I really enjoy riding that green and yellow.

4. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

The Dawg is back!

[party]

20190919_070826.jpg

It had been parked in the garage pending a trip to the bike vet for its annual and some brake work. And yes, h8rs, it's the same vintage as the Stinky. [grin]

Speaking of, having spent the past several months riding that big orange beast all-mountain, the Dawg is so light it almost feels like a toy. [laugh]

5. TrackDayRdr

TrackDayRdr NES Member

6. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

7. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

These past two weekends I prioritized shooting over biking before it gets too cold.

But, I want to buy some studded tires, maybe 2.6 wide, so I can go ride some fun for roads during winter.

What do you guys recommend?

Trails are also fine, but over here they have too many rocks, I dont want to find a nasty surprise under the snow when I fall. Lol.

Maybe I wont even go with studded tires. I need to read a little more about that.

8. atmay

atmay NES Member

Do any of you guys know a good online source for 26” tires that AREN’T fat bike tires?

I’m looking for some gravel-type tires for the GF’s mountain bike, but my usual source (backcountry/competitive cyclist) has nothing of the sort I’m looking for.

9. Supermoto

Supermoto NES Member

Jensonusa.com

Continental Double Fighter III Tire | Jenson USA

Salyeica and atmay like this.
  10. atmay

atmay NES Member

11. mtnbiker26

mtnbiker26 NES Member

Studs work great when the conditions are right such as really hardpack snow or the porous half-icy stuff after a few freeze/thaw cycles or maybe some rain and a re-freeze. They screech and scratch through icy corners and it's pretty fun. They grip the hell out of exposed dirt sections and the rolling resistance is pretty awful so they're not great when the trails are half dirt and half snow. Best way to go is a second bike or second wheelset. Some guys run flat pedals and boots to stay warm and dry. Check out Bar Mitts too. They really help keep your hands warm but could also be hazardous in a crash. Avoid places where people have walked in the snow and "postholed" it. For snow deeper than a few inches you'll need a fatbike with 5" tires.

12. Broccoli Iglesias

Thank you.

13. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

Another option would be to ride where the trails have been groomed, either by happenstance or as a matter of practice. One caveat: in places where motorized is allowed, if the "happenstance" = snowmobiles there's a potential for user conflict. That's not so much a problem here in Connecticut (then again, I haven't seen machines in Naugy in years even though they're allowed), but in other places there's a perception that we're not only a trail hazard (smaller and slower than the sleds), but "freeloaders" since we typically don't pay anything and they do.

If there's a place regularly hit by snowshoers, that's great. I've been known to snowshoe trails I'd want to ride later, though it usually wants a couple people / couple passes.

I know people who swear by the bar mitts. My problem: even in the winter, I'll often have to stop to do trail maintenance. To date, I've been using Cabela's duck hunting gloves. On really cold mornings, my hands might be cold for the first five minutes or so.

I don't clip in as a rule, but on really cold mornings footwear of choice is: https://www.mukluks.com/CamuksXtreme/productinfo/CAMXM/#.XaLyTFVKhaQ
    ("Really cold" <= 10F)

I also wear my armor. I've hit icy patches and gone down on a knee, and have been thankful it was there.

Broccoli Iglesias likes this.
  14. Broccoli Iglesias

Good info, thank you.

I was thinking of starting on the Bear Brook fire roads. Have you been there during winter?

15. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

Personally, I've only been to Bear Brook once, and that was for a springtime trail school we had there a few years back.

Obligatory AM ride photos:

20191013_071101-PANO.jpg
    20191013_071911.jpg

16. Supermoto

Supermoto NES Member

I would add that if you are riding in the snow on groomed trails, if you are making ruts in the snow. Then don't ride. Only thing worse than a groomed trail ruined by skinny tires is the post holes they leave next to the ruts pushing out their bike.

SpaceCritter likes this.