The comprehensive, omnibus Mountain Bike Thread

Salyeica

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Interesting on the calories. My Samsung Health app gives me around 500 per hour. I average around 1020 on a 2 hr ride. And I am not riding at 5K feet.

Does your app take into account elevation, your weight and the sport?
Not sure. It’s just Strava. Haven’t looked at it that closely. I’m 5’10”, 210lbs, so make of that what you will.

atmay

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Interesting on the calories. My Samsung Health app gives me around 500 per hour. I average around 1020 on a 2 hr ride. And I am not riding at 5K feet.

Does your app take into account elevation, your weight and the sport?
Strava can be weird about calories.

On Saturday, I rode 63 miles at 16 miles per hour, with 2500ft of elevation gain. Strava says I burned ~2k Calories.

On Sunday, my buddy (who weighs 50lbs less than I do) rode 25 miles at 14.5 mph, with 1000ft of gain, and somehow Strava thinks he burned ~4k.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I will trust the Samsung app better.
Honestly, I don't pay any mind to any of them. I use MapMyTracks as a way of logging where I've been, mainly so if I need to plot it for trail maintenance purposes, I can, and originally went with that one cuz it was one of the few that would provide (for the folks at home) on the Android platform a real-time feed of where I was. After the 2015 crash, for a long time I wasn't allowed to ride without a digital babysitter (including ICEDot).

Speaking of, I have the ANGi replacement sitting next to me. I still haven't activated it. Anyone play with these?

atmay

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I think I will trust the Samsung app better.
Looking through my Strava feed, it seems to be pretty consistent from ride to ride for me - harder/longer rides use proportionally more calories. But...looking at a few rides where my HR monitor was acting up, it looks like the HR data figures into it pretty heavily. My rides with inaccurately low HR data have very, very low calorie counts.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Honestly, I don't pay any mind to any of them. I use MapMyTracks as a way of logging where I've been, mainly so if I need to plot it for trail maintenance purposes, I can, and originally went with that one cuz it was one of the few that would provide (for the folks at home) on the Android platform a real-time feed of where I was. After the 2015 crash, for a long time I wasn't allowed to ride without a digital babysitter (including ICEDot).

Speaking of, I have the ANGi replacement sitting next to me. I still haven't activated it. Anyone play with these?
How bad was the crash?

Talking about crashing ... a few days ago, going downhill, I hit a tree with my left shoulder and ended up hugging it. My shoulder is still red from it.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How bad was the crash?
It was at the 2015 iteration of 24 Hours of Great Glen (the last one, thus far, but supposedly there's another one in the works).

Short version: I almost died. Concussion and spinal fracture at C7.

Longer version: Treating the spinal fracture revealed a rather severe case of degenerative disease, C6-C7 (and elsewhere). In the words of my spine guy (and yes, I have one) I have the spine of a seventy-year-old. The fact that I didn't die 8/8/2015 (even though I very well could have) was a Good Thing, else we would never have known about the degenerative disease. Still and all, when any of my medical guys looks at my records... well, I've had several that have told me pointedly I shouldn't be here now, or if I am, I should be in a chair.

IMAGING INTERPRETATION
CT C-Spine wo/c
EXAMINATION: CT Cervical Spine Without Contrast
CLINICAL HISTORY: neck pain status post biking accident
TECHNIQUE: Noncontrast CT of cervical spine
COMPARISON: None
FINDINGS:
Straightening of the upper and mid cervical spine likely related to cervical
collar with focal exaggerated lordosis centered at C6-C7. This exaggerated
lordosis is associated with minimally displaced fracture through the left C7
superior articulating facet (series 6, image 113). No perching or jumped facet.
Intervertebral disc space narrowing, intervertebral disc air at C6-C7 with
associated sclerosis. Tiny calcification at the posterior aspect of the C6-C7
prevertebral space disease series 3, image 191 and series 6, image 135) likely
representing degenerative changes. No prevertebral edema.
Disc degenerative changes present at T6-7 greater than C5-6. There is foraminal
narrowing at the C6-7 level bilaterally.
IMPRESSION:
Acute fracture through the C7 superior articulating facet with associated
exaggerated lordosis of the cervical spine.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It was at the 2015 iteration of 24 Hours of Great Glen (the last one, thus far, but supposedly there's another one in the works).

Short version: I almost died. Concussion and spinal fracture at C7.

Longer version: Treating the spinal fracture revealed a rather severe case of degenerative disease, C6-C7 (and elsewhere). In the words of my spine guy (and yes, I have one) I have the spine of a seventy-year-old. The fact that I didn't die 8/8/2015 (even though I very well could have) was a Good Thing, else we would never have known about the degenerative disease. Still and all, when any of my medical guys looks at my records... well, I've had several that have told me pointedly I shouldn't be here now, or if I am, I should be in a chair.
Damn man.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damn man.
Androscoggin Valley sent me home the next day, with my family. (I had to go back to Great Glen and pick up my campsite and, tail between my legs, claim my bike - hurt but not as badly as I was - from Howie.) Orders were to see my normal orthopedist. Gerry walked in the room and said, "You're not gonna want to hear this." Off the bat, it was (1) in the stupid rigid collar for EIGHT TO TWELVE WEEKS (fortunately not), and (2) "Oh, and since you can't turn your head... you can't drive." (f***.) He then sent me to a neurosurgeon.

Neurosurgeon sent me to have another CT scan. By then, I felt OK, but was still under orders to keep the collar on. Post scan followup: "I have good news and bad news." Good news: the fracture has healed nicely. Bad: the aforementioned degenerative disease. He sent me back to the ortho guys, to a spinal orthopedic surgeon. At that point, what was on the table was fusion surgery.

Many, many hours with Mark. He basically said I was his (I don't think he said "nightmare" but something like that) patient: I was in that horrible gray area between recommending the surgery (which has a whole host of risks and potential complications) and recommending against it. Given all that, he had to leave the decision up to me, but could only do so if I was fully informed, from pro and con side. Like I said, HOURS we spoke. And that MRI that resulted in another thread here. [grin] Among Mark's classic comments: "...significant risk of paralysis or death." (his favorite phrase with me for a year and a half), "dinged your cord" (something that probably happened in the crash).

Long regimen of PT followed, both by his guys and my martial arts instructor (Ron Kosakowski).

Long story long... he's pretty impressed with my progress, to the extent he's pretty much cleared me for anything I want to do. Even downhill [shocked] provided I take the proper precautions. I'm still in charge, and am not to do anything I'm not comfortable with.

mtnbiker26

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Hey gang, if anyone has people out near Calgary, maybe you could share this. My nephew had his one of a kind adaptive bike stolen off the back of his van.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calg...-NgGfRPhAe4iZUt-ErJ77YrbHNBT8EKCLAdPLtDRZhj3M
This is being shared on facebook quite a bit...at least within my circle of riding friends and industry employees. Hopefully the scumbags figure out what they stole and return it...or get caught with it and catch a beating.

SteelShooter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
This is being shared on facebook quite a bit...at least within my circle of riding friends and industry employees. Hopefully the scumbags figure out what they stole and return it...or get caught with it and catch a beating.
They (not the police) found the guy trying to trade the bike on some site like Craigs list up there. The scumbag took off the bucket seat and put a regular seat on it and wanted to trade it for a car for $6000. However, even though he posted a picture of it on the internet and it was positively identified as my nephews bike, the police said they had spent enough time on the case and were unwilling to do anything about it. Unbelievable.

upload_2019-8-5_14-58-35.png

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
You can tell the person who stole it doesn't know anything about bikes. Look at the angle on that replacement seat. Ouch.

Happy he got it back, but it's shitty that the cops/law weren't interested in justice.

In less exciting news, I finally got my rear derailleur straightened out and I feel like I've finally decoded the most mysterious part of riding bikes. Those Park Tool how-to videos are priceless. Calvin Jones is the man.

SteelShooter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
You can tell the person who stole it doesn't know anything about bikes. Look at the angle on that replacement seat. Ouch.

Happy he got it back, but it's shitty that the cops/law weren't interested in justice.

In less exciting news, I finally got my rear derailleur straightened out and I feel like I've finally decoded the most mysterious part of riding bikes. Those Park Tool how-to videos are priceless. Calvin Jones is the man.
He didn't get it back, the cops won't help and they guy won't show up for a trade.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
They (not the police) found the guy trying to trade the bike on some site like Craigs list up there. The scumbag took off the bucket seat and put a regular seat on it and wanted to trade it for a car for $6000. However, even though he posted a picture of it on the internet and it was positively identified as my nephews bike, the police said they had spent enough time on the case and were unwilling to do anything about it. Unbelievable.

View attachment 296220
Wait a second. Let me se if I get this right:

They spend time on a case.
They find out who stole something.
They are unwilling to act because they already spent enough time?

Are you f***ing kidding me?

Are they lawyers, keeping track of time and not taking action unless they get paid more?

They need to make that go viral.

Did they have to go shoot a dog instead?

SteelShooter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Wait a second. Let me se if I get this right:

They spend time on a case.
They find out who stole something.
They are unwilling to act because they already spent enough time?

Are you f***ing kidding me?

Are they lawyers, keeping track of time and not taking action unless they get paid more?

They need to make that go viral.

Did they have to go shoot a dog instead?
My understanding it's the RCMP too... They've shared this thing all over, it's really crazy. Supposedly the cops 'know' this guy too, as in legally.

Looks like a real winner

upload_2019-8-5_15-49-38.png

SteelShooter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Broccolli is right. I hope the situation, and his identity goes viral. Maybe the fuzz will have to get involved to save face.
The word is now that they (police) won't go knock on his door because they didn't see him put the bike in his garage and they are unwilling to get a warrant.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The word is now that they (police) won't go knock on his door because they didn't see him put the bike in his garage and they are unwilling to get a warrant.
Canadian b*tches. The evidence is on a picture.

So, I guess someone can go in, beat the sh*t out of this guy, post the video online and the Canadian popo wont do anything because they weren't there to witness it.

SERE

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Top Bottom