1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

The comprehensive, omnibus Mountain Bike Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by carbuncle, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

I know the feeling. I went to a trail near the Plymouth Power Plant (the one that is across the street from a bike shop) back in 2011 when we had that 100 ddegree day.

That trail has a really nice downhill section, which, at least at the time, ended in nothing. So you went down and then had to walk up.

Walking up, I thought I was going to die. I had to sit against a tree and pour a bottle of cold water over me because I couldnt breath and felt like I was going to pass out.

I also walked out of there with 7-8 ticks on me.

I will wake up at 4am tomorrow and wont go far, probably Blue Hills. I want to get at least 13 miles in, the white and yellow triangle trails. I should be done by 7am if I'm on the trail at 4:30. I think that's doable.

2. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

...and one of the benefits of riding at sunrise having consumed nothing but water, coffee, and coconut water: nothing much to puke! [grin]

Salyeica likes this.
  3. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

I finally got my Rockhouse loop in (this time starting from the Perkins cul-de-sac) - Green, Blue, Red, Purple:
    Rockhouse20190721.jpg

Even had some trail maintenance to do - before:
    20190721_053908.jpg

After:
    20190721_055244.jpg

That, of course, is why I carry that Katanaboy. [dance] On the way out parked behind me was the LM, who came with a chainsaw to clear it. Seeing my truck he figured (correctly) I beat him to it. [laugh] We did get to discuss the works in progress over there - really great stuff is happening.

It's only a hair over 3.5 miles on that loop, but that, plus clearing that blowdown, plus 74 with 73 dewpoint = soaked (and very stinky) 5.11 RUSH12 Pack-O-Wonder:
    20190721_065350.jpg

Attached Files:

mu2bdriver and Salyeica like this.
  4. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

When a tree falls in the woods, your friendly neighborhood SpaceCritter becomes:
    SCKatanaBoy.jpg
    Captain KatanaBoy
    Slayer of Blowdowns

[smile]

Salyeica likes this.
  5. bigblue

bigblue

6. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

Rockhouse - high school side - this morning. Sunrise over the Housatonic:

20190722_054759.jpg

Broccoli Iglesias likes this.
  7. Broccoli Iglesias

Nice pic.

How do you find so much time to ride?

8. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

I don't. I'm usually only out an hour, maybe hour and a half, at a time, and almost always at sunrise. Come home, eat, shower, begin workday. (Well, technically workday began before the ride, when I checked servers, email, etc.)

9. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

Maybe you should try Macy's instead. [laugh]

My GoPro rig is stereo, so the only thing I've found that will work at all is:
    20190722_072825.jpg

I'll refrain from posting a ride video (cuz unimpressive), but the old man took it with him on a glider ride:

10. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

One more from this morning:
    20190722_054610-PANO.jpg
    [grin]

11. mu2bdriver

mu2bdriver NES Member

Got another ride in this morning.
    So far, I’ve demo’ed...
    Trek Fuel EX 8,
    Trek Fuel EX 9.8,
    Trek Fuel EX 9.7,
    Intense Primer, and
    rode around in a parking lot with some flat fields in a 5010 to get a feel for the geometry of the large frame. If I continue the SC route I’ll be looking at a Hightower because I like the 29. A big bonus is the lifetime warranty on the frame and bearing and the local shop does no cost tuneups.

I was offered the 9.8 with no warranty at all for 3500 and passed. Two year old demo bike and it came with its share of dings and scrapes and Trek has them down to ~4800 new.

The 8 was nice. Al frame but I couldn’t tell much difference and the GX components were a nice upgrade. The 9.7 was also nice but if I go carbon I might as well go full frame carbon and it had the NX components on it that just looked and felt more roughly finished/less refined than the GX on a new bike.

That brings me to a Jeffsy 29 CF Pro. Under $4k, full carbon, GX components, and every review I’ve read has been positive. I just have a hard time dropping that kind of money on a bike without sitting on one. That’s a big leap of faith.

I ended up getting ION K-Pact and E-Pact pads. They run way small. I went with the zip up K-pacts but I can’t zip them up without feeling I’m about to tear a zipper apart so they’re pull on and zip off. But they are comfortable.

12. Broccoli Iglesias

Where are you demoing all those bikes?

13. mu2bdriver

mu2bdriver NES Member

Two local Trek dealers, one SC dealer, and a guy who I ride with has an Intense. I’ve driven around to a lot of stores lately to get a feel for what’s available.

ETA: If you mean where I’m riding, a lot of off-site riding at Case Mountain, River Highlands, Hurd Park, and a few other smaller trails.

14. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

This morning's two-wheeled therapy session was at Doc Quillinan's:
    Map-Quillinan Reservoir 12-31-15_CORRECTED.jpg

"At the next trail intersection, take Purple" "Wait - wut?"
    20190725_055609.jpg

Still being logged:
    20190725_055626.jpg

The mad teepee builder is back at work:
    20190725_061943.jpg

Stinky @ Paugussett Monument:
    20190725_062801.jpg
    20190725_062826.jpg 20190725_062813.jpg

Quillinan20190725.jpg

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    mu2bdriver likes this.
  15. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

From the No Good Deed Goes Unpunished Department:

Out at Rockhouse again this morning, intending to ride the Perkins loop, plus the orange lollipop. I'm on the lower loop of orange, when I see a tree down. Not particularly big, maybe five inches in diameter. Looks like someone cleared a branch of it - wonder why they didn't finish? (That should have told me something.)

So, out comes the KatanaBoy and I commence to cutting. I'm about three-quarters of the way through when I felt the first sting. I thought at first it was my imagination, so I kept at it. Then the next. Then the next. The little bastards actually got under my armor.

Right leg is hurting, so I bagged the rest of the loop and rode out.

No, it's not the first time I've "found" a nest doing trail work, and no, I'm not allergic, but... f***ing bees. :mad:

RockhouseBee.jpg

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  16. mu2bdriver

mu2bdriver NES Member

Anyone ride or have details about the Ibis Ripley? I see the 2018 versions are getting heavily discounted and specs look really good.

Rode Camp Mooween yesterday. Parking was tight but the trails were empty.

17. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

As you probably know, the parking situation @ Mooween is a bit of a bone of contention with the neighbors. [thinking]

18. mu2bdriver

mu2bdriver NES Member

Yeah. I never had so many smiles and waves responded to with dirty looks. But the ride made up for it.

19. Broccoli Iglesias

Did a quick 2 hours at Blue Hills today. 20190728_111125.jpg

new guy, Salyeica and TrackDayRdr like this.
  20. Broccoli Iglesias

I might go to Bear Brook tomorrow. My legs are pretty destroyed. I will see how I feel.

21. TrackDayRdr

TrackDayRdr NES Member

I heard the bugs are awful up there right about now.

I'm riding Landlocked tonight. The deerflies will be ready for me.

22. mu2bdriver

mu2bdriver NES Member

Looks sharp! Is it living up to the expectation so far?

23. Broccoli Iglesias

Yes. Can definitely climb better than I can. Specially at Blue Hills when once in a while I pick a bad line in a rock garden and get stuck.

Does great descending.

Does great at Bear Brook climbing. There are less rocks there.

mu2bdriver likes this.
  24. Salyeica

Salyeica NES Member

80ED693D-446A-4FDA-9B75-65879F228D45.png CBF3F318-2906-4BBE-AA8B-57038A4BDD44.png Couple rides today in my new home of Logan, UT.

First one was a test of the lungs/legs at 5k feet. Parked in the wrong lot, so I had to take the alternate trial to the main trail. Steep, Unforgiving climb that I just am not ready for. Climbed a little more than a half mile then turned around and came back down. Might have been less strenuous if I had taken the correct trail, but either way I will need to work up to that one!

Second one was a 6 mile out and back on the Green Canyon trail. Gradual climb, but a good test. The return to the car was fast and flowy. Couple spots where I had to disengage from a pedal to avoid disaster, but otherwise a really fun ride.

bigblue likes this.
  25. BrianWilson

BrianWilson NES Member

Hot for Fezzari Abajo, got a little cash burning a hole in my pocket. Hype, or the real deal ? What say you NES?

26. Supermoto

Supermoto NES Member

I haven't ridden one or even seen one on the trails. But I don't think there really is a bad full suspension bike these days for a reputable company. Some might be for a specific riding style or terrain, but I don't think you can really go wrong. The days of complete garbage designs from major manufacturers is over....looking at you Trek

27. TrackDayRdr

TrackDayRdr NES Member

Can anyone recommend a GOOD wheel builder in the Merrimack Valley area? I have a couple of sets of wheels I had built by a guy in CA and I have never had them adjusted. One has some loose spokes that "ping" under load (example: while climbing Cardiac at KT). Who ya got?

28. mtnbiker26

mtnbiker26 NES Member

They most likely just need some tension. The spokes wear into each other and get little detents at all the crossings. The pinging is the spokes moving around and popping in and out of the detents. If they're higher end wheels, still straight, no impacts or distortions to the hoop then it might make sense to have someone use a tensiometer and get them all balanced and even again. If the hoops are tweaked at all, then balanced tension goes out the window and I just true them and make passes adding 1/8 turn all around until they're straight and feel right.

TrackDayRdr likes this.
  29. TrackDayRdr

TrackDayRdr NES Member

Thanks!! These are DT Swiss wheels in excellent shape and J-bend spokes. When I squeeze the spoke pairs I can move them slightly and hear a noise similar to the pinging during rotation. Wheel and spoke work seems like black magic to me but I have a line on someone at the Andover farmer's market who should be able to adjust these. I've built motorcycle engines, adjusted Ducati valves, disassembled then re-assembled firearms, but my inexperience with wheel works makes me think I'll only make things worse.

30. Broccoli Iglesias

Interesting on the calories. My Samsung Health app gives me around 500 per hour. I average around 1020 on a 2 hr ride. And I am not riding at 5K feet.

Does your app take into account elevation, your weight and the sport?