The comprehensive, omnibus Mountain Bike Thread

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll actually throw the Launch armor and Dirtpaws in the "stinky" load with the other stuff now and again. Not stink-free but it keeps it down to a dull roar. The stinkiest piece of gear I have at the moment is probably the 5.11 pack-o-wonder - my understanding is you can't really wash it, best you can do is rinse it.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thought on the Launch knee/shin armor: when riding in the winter, you would do well to keep them on until they've warmed up a bit (e.g. in the ride home, with the heater on). I finished a ride on a five degree day and went to unsnap them, and one of the plastic snaps cracked. Interestingly enough, even broken it still worked.

20190708_065808.jpg

It's also (obviously) the same one being held together with gaffer's. [grin]

Last edited:

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yesterday I received the sweet protection knee pads and wore them while working and walking around.

Sweet Protection:

- They stayed in place (wore them for around 4 hours)
- they didnt bother, even when sitting for extended periods of time.
- After 10 minutes I forgot they were there.
- I went outside and forgot I had them on.
- Very comfortable.
- Looks like they have good protection for the front of the knee.

Today, I received the G form. Which scored horrible on the test (link below). The sweet protection scored great.

G form:

- I forgot I was wearing within 2 minutes. Super comfortable.
- they feel like they might slide down while riding. I will have to go out and try them on a bike.
- they have more protection on the sides and down the leg.
- the material feels tougher than the sweet protection. It feels like I could fall on a pointy rock, it will hurt like hell, but I wont have a destroyed knee.
- online reviews are great (YouTube videos).
- I feel like I could wear these things all day every day. Very light, very comfortable.

Here is the link to the tests:

The best lightweight knee pads you can buy | ENDURO Mountainbike Magazine

I dont know why the G form scored so low on comfort. These things are super comfortable and it is one of the things every review mentions.

Maybe they didnt pay enough to get a better score?

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back at Rockhouse Hill this morning, to look at the new stuff (yellow) going in on the Perkins side:
Rockhouse20190713.jpg
(Map only shows what I rode today - green and red continue past blue and intersect to the south, with red continuing southwest and coming out on Route 188, and green continuing eastward with two spurs coming out on Holbrook Rd. There's also a spur off red that comes out on Holbrook, and the orange trail which runs NNE from near the intersection of red and purple, and makes a long lollipop on the other side of Moose Hill Rd.)

The new thing isn't ready for prime time yet - it's just an out-and-back with a little lollipop loop - but it's looking very promising. Some features:
20190713_064432.jpg
20190713_064718.jpg

I believe the plan is to bring it around and out onto the Route 188 end of red, thus forming a big loop with lots of options.

20190713_071741.jpg

Yay - new trailz! [grin]

Edit: repost of the MapMyTracks heat map (does not show the new thing - yellow in the map above) for context in the overall trail system:
RockhouseHeatMap.jpg

Last edited:

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naugy this morning wasn't red eft-a-rama like it's been, but they're still around:

So's the trash:
20190714_071140.jpg

"No Basura" [thinking]

And the storm damage from the May 2018 tornadoes:
20190714_070551.jpg

Viper22

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Awesome ride this AM at Charlton Street School. First time there - and I am SUPER impressed with the singletrack. Tons of switchbacks, great flow, and very technical. Has some trails built on granite ridges that run across the hillside. Natures take on elevated bridges maybe? Each granite ridge stuck out of the ground by two or three feet. Very cool experience. I wanted to show how the trails are stacked in, so I had to enhance...enhance...enhance.

0B037CDD-16A4-4887-9B11-FE6B748DF2B3.png 5B75B0EF-BF69-4067-AF64-3FE0A251D023.png 50F460A6-524E-4103-B97B-B710FFB700A8.png 851510BA-3D25-4005-8188-B91744DFDA01.png DEE2E9AD-894B-45E4-8906-07AE8C0D92D3.png E91429A6-2094-4361-806A-53F2A449D761.png

Last edited:

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome ride this AM at Charlton Street School. First time there - and I am SUPER impressed with the singletrack. Tons of switchbacks, great flow, and very technical. Has some trails built on granite ridges that run across the hillside. Natures take on elevated bridges maybe? Each granite ridge stuck out of the ground by two or three feet. Very cool experience. I wanted to show how the trails are stacked in, so I had to enhance...enhance...enhance.

View attachment 293183 View attachment 293184 View attachment 293185 View attachment 293186 View attachment 293187 View attachment 293188
Wow - how big an area is that? A lot of land managers aren't crazy about densely-packed trails, not just cuz the impact of the trails themselves, but if shared-use, certain user groups (not us - mostly the clodhoppers) are horrible about shortcutting. If they're on trail X and can see trail Y (or another loop of trail X), they'll take the shortest distance between two points, even (or especially) if straight up a fall-line.

Viper22

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Wow - how big an area is that? A lot of land managers aren't crazy about densely-packed trails, not just cuz the impact of the trails themselves, but if shared-use, certain user groups (not us - mostly the clodhoppers) are horrible about shortcutting. If they're on trail X and can see trail Y (or another loop of trail X), they'll take the shortest distance between two points, even (or especially) if straight up a fall-line.
Not sure of the acreage, but for comparison, that’s a soccer/football field near the start/stop point.

Trails are maintained well, and there is signage. The trails did not look over-used and I didn’t see any signs of erosion or excessive disruption to the soil. Seems like everyone sticks to the recognized trails for the most part. There are a couple rock outcroppings that look like local party spots. Those aren’t really part of the trail system though.

mu2bdriver

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yesterday I received the sweet protection knee pads and wore them while working and walking around.

Sweet Protection:

- They stayed in place (wore them for around 4 hours)
- they didnt bother, even when sitting for extended periods of time.
- After 10 minutes I forgot they were there.
- I went outside and forgot I had them on.
- Very comfortable.
- Looks like they have good protection for the front of the knee.

Today, I received the G form. Which scored horrible on the test (link below). The sweet protection scored great.

G form:

- I forgot I was wearing within 2 minutes. Super comfortable.
- they feel like they might slide down while riding. I will have to go out and try them on a bike.
- they have more protection on the sides and down the leg.
- the material feels tougher than the sweet protection. It feels like I could fall on a pointy rock, it will hurt like hell, but I wont have a destroyed knee.
- online reviews are great (YouTube videos).
- I feel like I could wear these things all day every day. Very light, very comfortable.

Here is the link to the tests:

The best lightweight knee pads you can buy | ENDURO Mountainbike Magazine

I dont know why the G form scored so low on comfort. These things are super comfortable and it is one of the things every review mentions.

Maybe they didnt pay enough to get a better score?
Have you had a chance to test the Bearskins more? I’m looking at pads (elbow/knee) and it’s down to them and the ION E-Pact and K-Pact. I used the same site you linked to above and am planning on going to REI and a few shops today to try both of them on. Thanks again!

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Have you had a chance to test the Bearskins more? I’m looking at pads (elbow/knee) and it’s down to them and the ION E-Pact and K-Pact. I used the same site you linked to above and am planning on going to REI and a few shops today to try both of them on. Thanks again!
I returned the G-form (they kept sliding down). And rode 13 miles in Blue Hills yesterday with the Sweet protection. They didnt move. I had them on while climbing, walking and going down. They are very comfortable. I forgot I had them on and drove home with the knee pads on.

If you get them, they come with a picture of how they should fit. Make sure thats how you use them. At first, I had them too high up on my leg and they were uncomfortable.

I never tried the ION because the XL is too small. Either someone messed up the measurements or they are manufactured for people with very skinny legs.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone riding with the heat wave?

I'm thinking if doing a quick loop somewhere on Sunday morning, maybe around 7am before it gets too hot.
I just came back from Rockhouse. 75 + dewpoint 74 = air you can cut with a knife. (Bugs wanted to carry me off, too.) :eek:

Rockhouse20190720.jpg

Original plan was to ride The Loop (red out to purple, up to the Perkins cul-de-sac, back down green). I got to blue and said "f*** this" and came back down the hill. I DID make an out and back on red to 188 to see the new reroute:
20190720_060712.jpg

Only 2.1 miles, but I was still soaked when I got back to the truck.

My team is hosting a Gran Fondo this morning. 70 mile road ride with a Mt. Wachusett climb. Probably going to do something on the CX bike tomorrow
Hard pass. :eek::eek:

Shawnyc

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Been hitting these trails in Foxborough/Mansfield lately. Difficult trails, at least for me. Anyways I’m still on an old entry level hard tail and would like to get a full suspension bike. Any recommendations on a good value trail or enduro full suspension bike?

View: https://youtu.be/A1Fgaewx1OM

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Been hitting these trails in Foxborough/Mansfield lately. Difficult trails, at least for me. Anyways I’m still on an old entry level hard tail and would like to get a full suspension bike. Any recommendations on a good value trail or enduro full suspension bike?

View: https://youtu.be/A1Fgaewx1OM
Although a few weeks back I said I was placing an order on the Intense Primer, I didnt update my post. Intense is out of Primers, so I ordered my other top choice, the Rocky Mountain Instinct, recommended to me on this thread.

When I tested it, I didnt know about the RIDE9. So I tested it again changing the setting and it rode amazing.

Changing the Ride9 position makes it a tie between the Primer and Instinct when climbing. The Instinct is slightly nicer descending.

Instinct will be coming out (the word on the street) with new bikes around September, which explains why the Primer is out of stock.

If you can demo those two bikes, you wont regret them.

But they are not hardcore Enduro bikes. Although I guess how you define enduro, since the market is so weird.

To me Enduro used to be what people call "All Trail" today. Going up and down, rocks, roots, more up and down.

But watching videos of Enduro competitions, it seems they are basically all downhill with the occasional climb, but 95% downhill.

Another good option might be YT bikes. I was never able to demo one, but people have really good things to say about them, and my next bike in 3/4 years might be a YT, maybe the next generation of Jeffsys.

YT Jeffsy - cheap, good value. A lot of good reviews. Ship to your house 95% assembled. Very easy to put together.

Intense Primer - mid tier pricing (foundation build) climbs great. Descends great. Ships to your house 95% assembled.

Rocky Mountain Instinct - slightly more expensive than the Primer. Climbs great. Descends great. Rocky mountain is selling a ton of these.

Last edited:

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For giggles I merged a few of my Rockhouse (Perkins side) maps:

RockhousePerkinsComposite.jpg

That's what's there now, save the little spur off red (where purple and orange come in) that crosses the brook and comes out at a gate on Holbrook. There's only room there for a couple of vehicles, so it's used mainly for work session access.

That orange lollipop starts south of Moose Hill as a series of little bridges, then on the other side of the road, the east side follows the brook, while the west climbs up a ridge, so it's got a bit of the feel of KT's White School and Ware's Davis.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
For giggles I merged a few of my Rockhouse (Perkins side) maps:

View attachment 293937

That's what's there now, save the little spur off red (where purple and orange come in) that crosses the brook and comes out at a gate on Holbrook. There's only room there for a couple of vehicles, so it's used mainly for work session access.

That orange lollipop starts south of Moose Hill as a series of little bridges, then on the other side of the road, the east side follows the brook, while the west climbs up a ridge, so it's got a bit of the feel of KT's White School and Ware's Davis.
Very nice. What program/GPS are you using?

I bring a Garmin with me, but their software doesn't look that good. I find it a little bit of a pain in the a** to use.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. What program/GPS are you using?

I bring a Garmin with me, but their software doesn't look that good. I find it a little bit of a pain in the a** to use.
Map My Tracks

I'm a paid member, so I can export GPS files if I want, to pull into (say) Google Earth. Those are screen grabs I pulled into Photoshop to merge and color.

MapMyTracks was, when I first started using it, one of the few that could do live tracking (with third party monitoring) on Android. That was just after the crash, and I had made a promise to my family that when riding solo (which is pretty much all I do), I'll remain trackable. (I also had an ICEdot on my helmet in case I went down.)

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Map My Tracks

I'm a paid member, so I can export GPS files if I want, to pull into (say) Google Earth. Those are screen grabs I pulled into Photoshop to merge and color.

MapMyTracks was, when I first started using it, one of the few that could do live tracking (with third party monitoring) on Android. That was just after the crash, and I had made a promise to my family that when riding solo (which is pretty much all I do), I'll remain trackable. (I also had an ICEdot on my helmet in case I went down.)
Nice. I will check it out.

Fritz the Cat

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Map My Tracks

Those in search and rescue thank you. A little preparation and forethought go a long way in getting people out of the woods.

Salyeica

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Shawnyc....what do you consider value? Depending on how it’s spec’d out, you can get a great bike for reasonable money, but it would help to know what your budget is.

Ipe

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Although a few weeks back I said I was placing an order on the Intense Primer, I didnt update my post. Intense is out of Primers, so I ordered my other top choice, the Rocky Mountain Instinct, recommended to me on this thread.

When I tested it, I didnt know about the RIDE9. So I tested it again changing the setting and it rode amazing.

Changing the Ride9 position makes it a tie between the Primer and Instinct when climbing. The Instinct is slightly nicer descending.

Instinct will be coming out (the word on the street) with new bikes around September, which explains why the Primer is out of stock.

If you can demo those two bikes, you wont regret them.

But they are not hardcore Enduro bikes. Although I guess how you define enduro, since the market is so weird.

To me Enduro used to be what people call "All Trail" today. Going up and down, rocks, roots, more up and down.

But watching videos of Enduro competitions, it seems they are basically all downhill with the occasional climb, but 95% downhill.

Another good option might be YT bikes. I was never able to demo one, but people have really good things to say about them, and my next bike in 3/4 years might be a YT, maybe the next generation of Jeffsys.

YT Jeffsy - cheap, good value. A lot of good reviews. Ship to your house 95% assembled. Very easy to put together.

Intense Primer - mid tier pricing (foundation build) climbs great. Descends great. Ships to your house 95% assembled.

Rocky Mountain Instinct - slightly more expensive than the Primer. Climbs great. Descends great. Rocky mountain is selling a ton of these.
My son has the prior version of the Jeffsey 27.5, the Pro Race version. It's a great bike, top level spec, very light and seemingly high quality. He does everything on it from Highland to NEHSCA racing. He says he's very happy with it, but his only gripe is a big one. The bike is long, as in: L O N G. I think it was developed with big mountain or wide open riding in mind. On tight singletrack he prefers my Mojo3. Says its far more fun and flickable. As I understand it, the current version Jeffsey is even longer.

Good luck.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Today’s ride was insane! I felt better after much longer rides before. The heat was no joke. I ended up cutting 10 miles out of the ride and skipped the mountain climb. If you ever wondered what it’s like to vomit pickles, watermelon and bananas: it’s delicious!

Top Bottom