1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

The comprehensive, omnibus Mountain Bike Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by carbuncle, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Supermoto

Supermoto NES Member

The Ibis is a 160mm travel bike. Probably much more than what you need/want. Its definitely enduro territory

Broccoli Iglesias likes this.

2. Salyeica

Salyeica NES Member

I’d say the Ripley is better for the stuff around here.

3. Ipe

Ipe NES Member

JRA sells Ibis. You can demo one through them

4. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

5. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

I didnt see it listed in their demo bikes, but I will ask tonight when I return the RM.

6. TrackDayRdr

TrackDayRdr NES Member

NEMBA Fest was fun despite the weather, you just have to know how to ride and dial it down a bit. Lots of deep mud on the Moose trails. Festival was fun. Always interesting to chat with the manufacturer reps and bump into YouTube celebs.

Check in process was 100% better than last year (2018). Good idea to split processes up.

I could NOT imagine camping for three days after riding in either rain or heat (seems to the two choices every year). At this point in my life, give me a roof, a bed and a shower.

Seemed like A LOT more children in attendance and...babies. I know it's a family event, but who brings a baby/toddler to a mountain bike weekend?

What is the new building in the camp area?

7. Broccoli Iglesias

I have ridden Kingdom Trails after a week of rain, and I thought it was a blast, except for one trail (forgot the name) near the water on the other side of the mountain. I have never been so covered in mud after riding as I was that day.

But I enjoy a challenge and getting the bike covered in mud. Thats what it is for. [smile]

8. TrackDayRdr

TrackDayRdr NES Member

Make way for the mtbk hero! :emoji_bicyclist: [laugh2]

Broccoli Iglesias likes this.
  9. Broccoli Iglesias

[rofl]

TrackDayRdr likes this.
  10. eboos

eboos

Palmer GP was tough. 2,000 feet of climbing in a 50 minute race!

11. Ipe

Ipe NES Member

SpaceCritter,
    You seem to have been far more involved in making the fest happen than I had considered. When I saw your early pictures I was just assuming you were eager to beat the crowds!. The amount of work to pull it off must be huge so I'd like to share a huge "thank you" to you and everyone else involved. My son, a friend of his, and I were in Burke and at the fest Thursday, Friday, and Saturday and we all had a great time. The lines at registration were radically better than last year and getting the tshirts at the NEMBA tent was easy. So, well done sir! Thank you

P.S. I love how the valley beneath Darling Hill gets filled with morning fog. Its always a beautiful sight.

Salyeica likes this.
  12. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

There are actually several hundred volunteers, plus KT's entire staff - and Jim at the Wildflower - who make the event happen. From our (NEMBA's) side, the guy who really deserves the thanks is Philip Keyes, our executive director:
    36371680_1590917531031513_5871946894724300800_o.jpg
    (On the left, not the fool next to him holding the pin flags. [grin]) NEMBAfest is a goodly chunk of his life from the beginning of January. (My big contribution is assisting him with the venue layout, commencing the Tuesday afternoon before.)

I agree that breaking out the swag fulfillment from the registration process (and using a different registration provider) made a ton of difference this year. Not sure the NEMBA tent was the best place for it, though: we spent all of our time handing out t-shirts and pint glasses rather than talking about what we do.

I've also been getting feedback on things such as demo availability (I guess they wanted them back by 3?? - not sure that was an us rule or a vendor rule, my guess is the latter). Other stuff, too. Other thoughts/concerns/... send them to me. One big change this year: hired security. Ironically, they didn't come on duty until noon on Friday when the venue officially opened, and until then the vendor gate was wide open, so _I_ had to play security guard (and the SpaceCritter makes a lousy guard).

shiprec13 likes this.
  13. TrackDayRdr

TrackDayRdr NES Member

I was wondering about the appearance of security this year. Were there issues in prior years? The whole area seems pretty chill - I've never seen any trouble except for deer jumping across trails.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  14. Bonesinium

Bonesinium NES Member

Mountain of Hell was just run. Videos are out. I believe Mega Avalanche is coming soon too.

Winner:

Guy passes like 950 people.

TrackDayRdr likes this.
  15. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

For kicks, I brought our game camera to NEMBAfest, and, Wednesday AM, before we started in on the venue-lining, put it up on one of the poles, set to time-lapse mode:

Stryker, Salyeica and TrackDayRdr like this.
  16. Broccoli Iglesias

I would love to do that one day.

I know it always looks easier on video.

I dont see any drops or jumps. Probably a decent trail bike would kick a** and do great on the climbs.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  17. Ipe

Ipe NES Member

Edit: I swear there was a Broccoli post asking about Ion pads earlier, but its not there now. I'll admit I've had a few holiday adult beverages this afternoon so who knows..... anyway, here's my opinion on POC VDP Air knee pads. Enjoy

Gotta say, I'm not too familiar (not at all) with theses Ion pads. IIRC Backcountry has a good return policy so there's little risk other than wasted time. That said I've been riding POC pads for several years now and have been very happy with them. I'm currently in the POC VDP Air and its been the perfect Goldilocks knee pad. Not too stiff, not too soft, not too heavy, not too light. Is it the perfect Highland knee pad? No, not really. But for trail riding, in my eyes, it's just about perfect.
    Good luck in your hunt.

18. Salyeica

Salyeica NES Member

I have POC elbow pads and ION knee pads, or vice versa. Haven’t worn either yet, but planning to get some DH riding in next weekend, so I’ll post a review after.

19. Broccoli Iglesias

There was. Then I deleted it. Thought it was a stupid question.

Those ION pads are definitely manufactured for anorexic people. I'm 5'11, 176 ... I work out 4 days a week but I am not a huge guy. Measuring my calf, it is bigger than the XL. I wont waste my time with those pads.

The XL calf circumference is like 14". I'm not sure who has legs that small.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will check out the POC.

20. Broccoli Iglesias

This is what happened behind that guy in the first video...

21. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

FWIW, I've been wearing Fox Launch (the ones with the X straps) knee/shin and elbow ever since someone (trainer years ago maybe) put me in them.

[​IMG]

Of course, in my case it's mainly cuz clumsy Aspie is clumsy. [grin]

Broccoli Iglesias and shiprec13 like this.
  22. TrackDayRdr

TrackDayRdr NES Member

Another POC user here. Love the 2.0 and the air and currently ride both depending on how aggressive I expect my day to be. Day one they break in but by day 2 they are invisible. There is a big difference in coverage area between the 2.0 and air, but for most slow speed chug-chug-chug technical the Air are just about perfect.

23. shiprec13

shiprec13 NES Member

I love my Fox Launch pads for DH but the Velcro straps stretch after a couple of seasons and the need to be replaced before the actual padding has worn. I have some Dakine knee pads for trail riding but they are not enough for DH.
    I’m currently running RaceFace knee and shin pads for DH but will be switching back to the Launch pads when these wear out.
    Speaking of DH Killington is killing it for east coast DH. I highly recommend checking them out if you’re gravity riding inclined.

24. Broccoli Iglesias

I ordered two to try out and return one ...

1. Sweet Protection Bearsuit light
    2. G form elite knee pads. (I hate the way they look, but people seem to like them).

Those are more for trail/enduro. Where the downhills are not super long and dont have a lot of jumps.

I will get something else for more serious DH trails. Most likely something with hard plastic.

I dont fully trust all the soft foam "hardens on impact" marketing.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    shiprec13 likes this.
  25. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

I've only had the stretchy-velcro problem on the elbows, and it hasn't been a biggie - they still stay put.

The problem I've had with the knee/shin is wearing it out to the point the cloth holding the knee part to the shin part is all but gone - I had to resort to holding it together with gaffer's. All well and good, except it pretty much precludes washing them. (They've been since retired and replaced by new 'uns.)

Speaking of stinky: I can tell I managed to get some good riding in at KT - my gear lives in the back seat of the truck, and when I opened the cab Monday to get ready to head south, it smelled like that strange and terrible creature: Mountainbikasaurus.

26. Salyeica

Salyeica NES Member

A close relative of Hockeybagalodon

shiprec13 and SpaceCritter like this.
  27. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

The trailwork at Rockhouse Hill Sanctuary (Oxford, CT) proceeds apace - one of the little bridges on the new trail that stretches from the Perkins Road cul-de-sac to the old foundation off of Holbrook Road:

20190706_060617.jpg

More from Rockhouse:
    Rockhouse 2019-May-16

It's an up-and-coming riding area - I'll write a full description when I get a chance. There's a lot on the ground now that's not depicted in the published maps (not cuz illegitimate - the LM is on the HVNEMBA chapter board - but because they simply haven't been updated yet), and a ton more still being built. Oxford is in New Haven County, but at the scenic overlook on the High School side of the property, you're looking across the Housatonic River into Shelton (Fairfield County):
    20190704_055947-PANO.jpg

Edit: MapMyTracks heat map from my rides there - covers most things (not everything), a couple of the not-yet-opened trails (yellow) though there are still several others I haven't even had a chance to corridor walk yet:
    RockhouseHeatMap.jpg

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    mu2bdriver likes this.
  28. shiprec13

shiprec13 NES Member

[QUOTE="

I dont fully trust all the soft foam "hardens on impact" marketing.[/QUOTE]

I took a sharp impact to the shin while wearing the RaceFace soft foam pads last year at Sunday River. I still have the scar from that little puncture. They don’t protect against the sharp rock impacts like the hard shell pads do.
    Speaking of safety gear I love my Atlas neck brace for DH. Probably saved my neck at least once a season since I bought it. Including an unplanned dismount at Killington yesterday.

29. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

And then there's the laundry.

When I was in school, I wore tighty-whiteys, white socks and white undershirts, so the division (and I'm too lazy to do more than two loads a week) was whites (hot+Clorox) and colors (warm). I don't wear the undershirts much anymore, moved away from the whiteys to boxer-briefs, and the Injinjis I wear with the Vibrams aren't white, so the division became Cold Water Only, Everything Else.

Well, more and more of my stuff can or must be washed in cold. But due to the (for a lack of a better word) contagiousness of the bikasaurus stink means if I wash anything with the MTB stuff, it'll come out stinky. And I've tried several and many kinds of sport wash, oxy, borax, baking soda, vinegar, ... Still stinky. So I've just resigned myself to it.

Thus the new division is: Stinky (MTB stuff, gym stuff, socks, underwear, and a couple of t-shirts that managed to get washed with the MTB stuff so are now Designated Stinky), and NotStinky (everything else).

One thing I haven't tried yet but may is this stuff the SCUBA guys use:
    [​IMG]
    but that stuff has a peculiar smell of its own, so I'm not sure how that would work out.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  30. Ipe

Ipe NES Member

I recall at least one set of my POC pads saying do not put in laundry or use soap (not sure if accurate) so I periodically soak my knee pads overnight. The water comes out foul and the pads after a rinse or two after come out not really stinky any more, and not scratchy (no dirt and/or salt buildup). Is it perfect? Probably not, but it seems to work.

Rest of the bike stuff goes in with the regular laundry unless its muddy, and then it gets soaked first. I've got a set of Troy Lee shorts that I can't get the dirt out of the seat area, no matter how many times I wash them. Think its the nature of the fabric. Oh well....