The comprehensive, omnibus Mountain Bike Thread

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This is a single track trail with what’s ahead of you obscured by trees. I just don’t want to come around a corner and encounter a family of four out for a stroll.

I suppose I should be yelling “hey bear!” periodically, as I’m in bear country out here.
Yell: PEW PEW PEW as you ride .... if they respond with a PEW, they are a NES member.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are on singletrack and don't have a good sightline, then you need to go slow enough that you can stop in time. Hikers have the right of way, so slow down and ask to pass. A bell works great to alert people before hand, but don't expect them to get out of the way or even know why they are hearing a bell in the woods, they usually just stop in place to look around for the bell
Some are also plugged into their earbuds. [thinking]

mtnbiker26

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Top fuel 8 is a XC race bike. It would be a bike to hammer on and chase KOMs. So I would look at the Fuel Ex for a more all around trail bike, more comfortable position than the Top fuel, more suspension travel.

YT Jeffsy is a good bike. If you want to do mail order. Canyon is other brand to look at.
Top Fuel is new for 2020. 120mm up front, 115 in the rear, 68 degree headtube angle, dropper post and 2.4" tires.

TrackDayRdr

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah...it drives me nut to come up behind someone that is wearing headphone and no matter how low you yell, they don't hear you. Then they get mad when you scare them.
Tangent rant: Worse to be riding and hear music getting steadily louder until some B-hole with a bluetooth speaker in his pack pedals past you. Leave the music at home.

atmay

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Yeah...it drives me nut to come up behind someone that is wearing headphone and no matter how low you yell, they don't hear you. Then they get mad when you scare them.
Tangent rant: Worse to be riding and hear music getting steadily louder until some B-hole with a bluetooth speaker in his pack pedals past you. Leave the music at home.
On the rare occasion that I listen to music while outdoors, I wear bone-conduction headphones. They leave your ears open so you can hear what’s going on around you, but at the same time no one else can hear your shitty taste in music.

They work great with turn-by-turn on the phone, too.

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I find the sound of my labored breathing to be demotivational so I wear ear buds running/riding in the woods if I know it's going to be quiet/empty on the trails. I tend to go out before 6am so it's a safe bet, but I still find myself looking back over my shoulder on singletrack, and keeping to one side on the wider stuff. They're also a fairly open design, so I can hear around them.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't wait to goooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I could only get a quick sunrise ride in this morning, cuz had to meet with Philip over breakfast early to go over the last of what needed to be done to get the venue ready. I wanted to hit Tody's cuz I hadn't in 3 or 4 years, and the last time I had I almost literally ran into a bear.

So it would be a quick loop: Tody's, Cat Box, Burrington, and back out. No bear, but as I was coming down the hill towards Bemis, through the pea soup fog I saw a skunk. In the camping area field, not far from the registration tent. Made a quick left thru the venue, up and around and gave him wide berth by shooting across the top of the camping field.

Coming back, no skunk in evidence, but as they can be nosy I gave the KT guys and gals a heads up just in case he decided to hide in the tent. [grin]

(Fortunately he hadn't. )

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Planning to do some cyclocross skill drills before work tomorrow. Cornering, dismounts, remounts, bunnyhopping barriers, etc. Fun stuff. May do some run up drills this weekend too. Also keeping an eye on the weather for the Palmer Motorsports Park Crit on Saturday.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, we can't fix the weather of course (though Friday was nice, and even most of today was pretty good) but those of y'all who are here: thoughts?

Moving the early-bird gimmes (pint glasses and tshirts) to the NEMBA tent probably cut down significantly the bottleneck at registration. (That meant more work for my guys, but it is our event after all. ) There did seem to be confusion about what got you a tshirt and what got you a pint glass.

For me, I spent more time than intended at the NEMBA tent, between assisting with tshirt and pint glass fulfillment, and processing credit card transactions (since I'm one of those who can). My lower back was barking at me a bit during my 5:30 ride this morning, but is really hurting now, prolly from schlepping those damned boxes of pint glasses.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The search is over.

I rented the Rocky Mointain Instinct, Carbon 70 and rode some 15 miles of trails. A lot of uphill, a lot of downhill.

Descends great, handles very well, and it is light. But ... the Intense felt just a little better climbing.

The RM, when I was on a steep climb, I could feel the rear suspension playing against me, just a little bit, but it was enough to make me want to go with the Intense Primer. When I was climbing with the primer, it almost felt like a hardtail.

I will place an order tomorrow at JRA.

Also, the intense primer comes with a second set of $1200 carbon wheels (I googled the wheels, that was the price), which I might sell unless they make a huge difference in weight. That would pay for 1/3 of the bike.

shiprec13

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Broccoli, have you demo’d the Ibis Ripmo?
One of my riding buddies just picked one up. Everyone that threw a leg over it was blown away by how well balanced it rode.

Top Bottom