1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

The comprehensive, omnibus Mountain Bike Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by carbuncle, Aug 16, 2014.

1. new guy

new guy NES Member

Looks like he has a new video out.

Fritz the Cat and TrackDayRdr like this.
  2. JRT

JRT NES Member

I had to send my brains to Specialized today, I am officially bikeless for 10-12 days. It will be 90 and humid by then in PA. I only needed the fork fixed but when I found out they all go back to Specialized I figured may as well do both. Riding the cross bike in the spring is boring but it’s what I’m relegated to. Whining session over lol.

3. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

U need mor bikez. [wink]

bigblue and TrackDayRdr like this.
  4. JRT

JRT NES Member

The problem is I need a new road bike far more than another mountain bike. I was tempted to buy another mtn bike tho. I've been thinking about throwing a leg over a dirt bike again too, hard to believe bicycles can cost more than a KTM.

5. Supermoto

Supermoto NES Member

Its crazy what Mtn bikes are going for these day

JRT likes this.
  6. atmay

atmay NES Member

I’ve been thinking about buying one so I can get more out of some of the great trail systems we have around me, but I can’t get over what even “entry level” seems to cost these days.

7. Supermoto

Supermoto NES Member

Used is the way to go, bikes take a huge hit in the first two years

8. shiprec13

shiprec13 NES Member

upload_2019-5-22_19-45-30.jpeg

Lynn woods, double roll.

Viper22 and TrackDayRdr like this.
  9. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

Yup.

[​IMG]

$700 however many years ago it was I bought it on Ebay. I rode it this morning (and yes, I ride a downhill bike all-mountain).

[​IMG]
    Shop demo, 2014 model year, late 2014 $1000 (and the shop replaced a bunch of components).

10. mtnbiker26

mtnbiker26 NES Member

Did they ship it 2-day? It's usually 2-3 weeks. FYI Specialized won't touch them once they get to be five years old. Risse and Traxxion will do it, though.

11. atmay

atmay NES Member

This is how I got my TT bike. I hate not being able to decide what I want and just going and getting it, though.

12. JRT

JRT NES Member

I’m just going of what my guy at the LBS told me. This is probably my third or fourth bike with the brain and I’ve never had to send one back. They are three years old so I should be good to go.

13. TrackDayRdr

TrackDayRdr NES Member

Yes they do, but the kind of seller that dumps his bikes every two years is most likely not keeping up with the maintenance. My LBS charges $200 plus parts to service a Reverb dropper, then there are bearings, fork seals, shock service, etc that all are going to need attention. I like to buy used things, but mountain bikes usually take a physical beating in the first couple of years and unless you are super picky/educated about what your buying you're taking a big chance on inheriting someone else's problems. No me gusta.

14. Supermoto

Supermoto NES Member

It really is going to depend on who you buy it from. Plenty of people go out buy a nice bike and then realized they don't like riding or don't have time to ride.

$200 to service a reverb..ouch. I just send mine back under warranty for a new one

15. mtnbiker26

mtnbiker26 NES Member

You're lucky. They usually only go six months to a year and then develop a stutter or notchiness when the inertia valve stops sliding smoothly. I know guys who own a spare and just swap them out when one goes back for service.

Shops don't really make any money when sending suspension out for service. The small markup just covers the shipping and the time to remove/re-install so it usually gets sent ground unless the customer wants to pay for faster shipping. It's usually a week out, there for several days and then a week back. Maybe your shop does 3-day select or something faster than ground.

JRT likes this.
  16. mtnbiker26

mtnbiker26 NES Member

Yeah, Reverbs. Oof. You wouldn't be the first one to get three posts in two years. Honestly, Sram's MO is to engineer stuff about 70% good and then let the customer beta test it. They'll warranty almost anything, though. Not sure how they stay in business.

17. Supermoto

Supermoto NES Member

The only Sram parts I haven't had issues with are their XX1 carbon cranks and the Pike. The worst one was breaking all the splines on a XD cassette, leaving it stuck on an Onyx racing hub.

18. bigblue

bigblue

Yep, we did Landlocked on Wednesday and it was in great shape.

19. atmay

atmay NES Member

I hope that’s just their mountain bike parts you’re talking about. I have all sram on my TT bike.

20. TrackDayRdr

TrackDayRdr NES Member

Knock wood, but I have B1 version Reverbs on two bikes and they have been fine. My Pikes have been fine too and nothing shifts as well as my Eagle drivetrains.

21. mtnbiker26

mtnbiker26 NES Member

The Reverb remote makes a big difference. First gen button style with the accordion boot is problematic. The one that looks like a shift lever is much better. The Pike is a good fork...Probably one of Sram's best products. Be cautious not to bump that Eagle derailleur. 12-speed stuff is pretty fussy about alignment. You can straighten the hanger but any tiny bend in the derailleur and it's junk. The cage hangs down pretty far so a lot of people wreck them. I saw two just this week.

22. shiprec13

shiprec13 NES Member

I’ve beat the snot out of SRAM derailuers. Never had any of the issues my buddies running Shimano did.
    New bike has the 1X GX with the super long cage derailuer. Scraped to hell after the first ride at Lynn but holding up to the abuse so far.
    To anyone looking for a new or used bike don’t get caught up in the hype about SRAM or Shimano. They’re both good. That stuff is easily replaced as it’s usually what breaks first anyway.

TrackDayRdr likes this.
  23. mtnbiker26

mtnbiker26 NES Member

thumbnail_IMG_1673.jpg

Still waiting for Park to make the new base available.

24. TrackDayRdr

TrackDayRdr NES Member

I would love to learn how to lace up wheels. For now I found a guy in CA who builds them with i9 hubs for $600

25. mtnbiker26

mtnbiker26 NES Member

Lacing is the hardest part for me. I've trued thousands of wheels and replaced hundreds of spokes but only built about a dozen wheels. I still have to think hard about the lacing. Check out "The Bicycle Wheel" by Jobst Brandt. It's *the* book on wheels. It's out of print and prices are all over the place but you should be able to find it for $20ish.

Park also has a cool app on their website that allows you to enter the data from a tensiometer. You have to use some masking tape and number each spoke then take the readings and enter the data. Start off with a wide tolerance like 20%, Take the measurements, Enter the data, Make any corrections, Lower the tolerance to 15%, Repeat, Lower to 10%, Repeat. It's tedious but it allows anyone with common sense, fundamental skills and tons of patience to bring a wheel into consistent and balanced tension.

TrackDayRdr likes this.
  26. bigblue

bigblue

I sent my brain straight to Fox for a full rebuild but that was awhile ago.

27. TrackDayRdr

TrackDayRdr NES Member

I'm heading to Bretton Woods this weekend and am looking to log some trail miles on Saturday. I already know the ski area isn't worth visiting but Franconia is. Does the collective brain trust have any recommendations? My normal ride is HP so tech is ok with me.

28. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

If you can, see Bob Lesmerises at White Mountain Bike Shop (next to the Franconia Inn and across the street from the glider port) both to buy a copy of the map and get good riding advice from Bob.

29. Fritz the Cat

Fritz the Cat NES Member

Beartown Mountain. Only one person is known to have done the loop without setting foot down.
    While in town you can take in a movie at BIFF

30. TrackDayRdr

TrackDayRdr NES Member

We ended up stopping in Littleton then on the suggestion of one of the guys there, rode PRKR Mountain. Those trails could use some work or a couple of seasons of weather. We definitely didn't follow the program and just tooled around on the trails around the (awesome) pump track. The tech was constant except for Orange Trail. Next time we're taking the tramways to the top and riding down the gnar. Maybe next time we'll just keep going past Littleton and hit Franconia.