1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

The comprehensive, omnibus Mountain Bike Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by carbuncle, Aug 16, 2014.

1. atmay

atmay NES Member

I have a trek crossrip, which isn’t a dedicated cross bike, but it’s close.

I try and keep it off the super technical stuff, but I ride through the woods on 700x33C Clement MXPs. It’s a great way (IMO) to work on bike handling.

ETA: I weigh 230.

new guy likes this.

2. new guy

new guy NES Member

I guess it's just so strange to me to see drop handlebars offroading.

Changing gears (sorry), I now need to buy a new rear tire and I'm thinking that I should get something with a tougher sidewall than the Maxxis Ardent (27.5x2.25 - I don't think they're the EXO version) I'm replacing, particularly given how much time I spend fighting my way through rocky trails. Suggestions - maybe just the same tire with their EXO? Are folding tires generally weaker on the sides than standard tires?

3. atmay

atmay NES Member

Not saying it’s not odd, but it is a thing that people do (weird people, like me)

As for tires,
    The Best Mountain Bike Tires

I always check Outdoor Gear Lab first. Granted, I don’t mountain bike, but I’ve not yet been steered wrong by any of their reviews.

Also, AFAIK, the only difference between folding and not-folding is the bead material. Folding tires use Kevlar or spectra thread, versus a steel wire hoop in a not-foldy tire.

new guy likes this.
  4. TrackDayRdr

TrackDayRdr NES Member

Shark teeth and baby heads? Brutal riding around here. I have had good luck with any tires with extra sidewall protection. Maxxis EXO works just fine for me, but I'm not "heavy" on tires and run low pressures too. I have a used Schwalbe Hans Dampf in 29x2.35 (measures 2.48 at trail pressure) for sale $30 if you want to try something different. I'm not an Ardent fan.

new guy likes this.
  5. new guy

new guy NES Member

Yes - shark teeth and baby heads, usually in big clusters so you can't really avoid them. The roots probably deserve a name too if they don't already have one.

Appreciate the offer for the Schwalbe but I have a big credit at Amazon that I'm itching to spend down.

6. TrackDayRdr

TrackDayRdr NES Member

My trail bikes wear Rekons with EXO casing. Schwalbe have always been safe choices too. Just avoid any tire that is too light and you should be fine.

7. new guy

new guy NES Member

Ended up ordering a Maxxis Aggressor. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for the input.

8. daveyburt

daveyburt NES Member

IRC tires always held up to my crap.
    They make moto tires too.
    :)

9. mtnbiker26

mtnbiker26 NES Member

Ripped sidewalls are pretty rare. Foxboro, and Blue Hills tend to have sharper rocks but Wompatuck is mostly rounder rocks. Don't go berserk with the heavy casing because the tire will ride like crap. You want it supple and easily able to deform/contour to the terrain. Specialized Grid is another option.

Have you ridden Duxbury? Much smoother than Wompatuck.

10. Viper22

Viper22 NES Member

First ride out on the full suspension 29er on Wednesday. Wow! Awesome ride. Giant Trance 29 2. The other bike belongs to one of my co-workers. Pivot Trail429. That's a NICE bike.

IMG_3640.PNG IMG_3642.JPG IMG_3646.JPG

bigblue and new guy like this.
  11. new guy

new guy NES Member

Not even sure what Duxbury is, trail-wise. This?
    Duxbury, Massachusetts on Trailforks

Like I said I don’t get around to many new places.

12. mtnbiker26

mtnbiker26 NES Member

That's it. Most people park on Mayflower St. It's much smoother than Wompatuck. It's also smaller so you have to add in some of the perimeter trails and stuff to get enough mileage. You could have fun just winging it on the obvious trails if you want to check the place out but I'd suggest finding a tour guide if you want to figure out a loop to use all the trails. I've only been a handful of times so I don't know my way around. I only mention it's because probably not too far and a total contrast to Wompatuck.

new guy likes this.
  13. new guy

new guy NES Member

Wompatuck is a battle. Kicks my ass a couple of times a week, either on foot or wheels. I’ll need to check out Duxbury.

I don’t know why they put my bike together with exo in the front but not the rear, but the rear is what tore. Figures. On my last bike I got a full season out of the (tubeless) tires without a single problem or issue of any kind. Hopefully the aggressor does the trick.

14. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

Obligatory post of the new video. [grin]

Not sure how it got released with Philip's last name spelled wrong, though.

bigblue likes this.
  15. bigblue

bigblue

Solid video to increase awareness but it doesn't connect the dots and bring me any closer to membership or even suggest how I would go about joining or attending an event.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  16. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

Well, in fairness, the last slide does say:
    vlcsnap-2019-05-14-18h16m41s426.png
    but probably isn't sufficiently explicit about contacting a chapter to find out about what's happening.

In my case, I joined because the bike shop told me to. Once I signed on the line for the first bike (the 2004 Dawg) I got the elevator speech about advocacy, and the dues were cheap, so I just did it. Kept paying them every year, but didn't go to or do anything, for almost a decade. Finally showed up at something (Central CT's Winterfest - ride that year was at Wadsworth Falls, with lunch/movie/swag drawing afterwards at CFPA). Soon found myself at a trail school.

17. new guy

new guy NES Member

All I need is a T-shirt. I’ll do stupid things for a T-shirt.

bigblue and atmay like this.
  18. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

And stickers. [laugh]

Last Wednesday we had board meeting (via conference call - always interesting when there are 29 chapters, the ED, his assistant, and the Exec Board all on the line), and the topic of takeaways for new members came up. Apparently, we have a dearth of stickers. [shocked] That will be rectified shortly.

As for shirts: we've been giving our regular volunteers blaze orange Trail Crew jerseys. I'm wearing one here:
    55881657_10218104821467029_4946590826386948096_n.jpg
    (Reminds me: I need to get some made.)

new guy likes this.
  19. Supermoto

Supermoto NES Member

Duxbury is fun, I grew up there and its still one of my favorite places to ride. Lots of good trails, some on the map, some not. Definitely give it a try. Plus in the summer you can ride down to Far Far's for ice cream or to the beach

[​IMG]

new guy likes this.
  20. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

Scenes from this morning's ride, Just Because.

20190516_082911.jpg 20190516_081421.jpg 20190516_080707.jpg 20190516_080449.jpg 20190516_080424.jpg 20190516_074749.jpg 20190516_074253.jpg 20190516_073059.jpg 20190516_071953.jpg

mtnbiker26 likes this.
  21. TrackDayRdr

TrackDayRdr NES Member

Anyone riding HP this Saturday? I'm dying to get out.

22. bigblue

bigblue

Was there last Saturday. Won't make it this weekend bc I pulled my calf playing soccer. Which lot are you going from? The terrain varies greatly depending the routes you take.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  23. bigblue

bigblue

I just came away from the vid with a warm fuzzy feeling. I'm your target audience too: Regular biker, appreciates the trails, has marginal awareness of what you do, might even volunteer if the situation was right, and disposable income to contribute. So watching the video, I was waiting to get hooked in and it didn't happen. $0.02, trying to offer a perspective of someone who has considered joining numerous occasions.

I also would do stupid things for a t-shirt. Basic membership t-shirt, I would never wear blaze orange unless I'm carrying a shotgun or hunting rifle.

24. TrackDayRdr

TrackDayRdr NES Member

West siiiiiiiiide!!! HP is 10 minutes from home and is my regular jam.

25. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

Well, I passed it along to Philip for consideration on the next iteration (when hopefully he'll get the typo in his name fixed as well).

26. Salyeica

Salyeica NES Member

Are you talking about the West side of Haverhill St in Andover with the obnoxious boardwalk over the marsh?

27. TrackDayRdr

TrackDayRdr NES Member

Yes. Rt 125 to Harold Parker Road. Lots of good stuff right outside of the trail head then ride that bridge to the other half. If you do it right there is no need to cross Jenkins.

28. Viper22

Viper22 NES Member

Hit Leadmine in Sturbridge for a morning ride. A lot less muddy than a few weeks ago!

IMG_3801.JPG IMG_3802.PNG

TrackDayRdr and Supermoto like this.
  29. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

Scene from this morning's ride at Quillinan:

20190522_074023.jpg

I also found this egregious little fall-line shortcut between two loops on Purple:
    20190522_065659.jpg
    which I promptly closed.

Coming up the trail from the parking lot, I let myself get distracted by a loose rock at the stream crossing, lost my line coming up the other side, stalled and did the cartoon-character logroll back down the rocks and into the stream, bike on top of me. Ordinarily that time of day, there'd be nobody over there, but since I did that, there had to be a trail-runner coming through at that moment to watch it. [wave] [thinking]

TrackDayRdr likes this.
  30. TrackDayRdr

TrackDayRdr NES Member

I rode Landlocked last night and was surprised at how well the trails rode. Lots of crushed oak leaf matting and spoke snappers littering the less trafficy trails, but the main lines were superb. I was expecting mud everywhere.