1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

The comprehensive, omnibus Mountain Bike Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by carbuncle, Aug 16, 2014.

1. mtnbiker26

mtnbiker26 NES Member

Specialized discontinued the Camber because the bike never sold really well. I think they just wanted to drop the Camber name and start fresh but "Stumpjumper ST" is a weird way to do it. There's a HUGE gap between the Epic and the Stumpjumper so the ST is there to be the XC/Trail bike. Personally, it doesn't feel right to me, the heattube angle is too slack for a "short travel" bike.

2. bigblue

bigblue

My understanding is that the short travel Stumpy shares the same frame as the full travel. If that's true then it doesn't make sense: Just load the regular stumpy up with some tokens, keep the sus on pedal or lock and have at it on the easy stuff. If you want to tackle terrain then open the sus back up and you are g2go.

Agree there is a gap between the Epic and Stumpy (I have both) but I don't see those trails around here much. To each their own.

3. mtnbiker26

mtnbiker26 NES Member

The stays and links are definitely not the same. It's possible that the front triangle is the same but I just looked at the geometry chart and the numbers for reach and horizontal top tube are different so I suspect they're different. The ST also has a steeper headtube angle AND a lower BB height and I don't see how they could achieve that if they used the same front triangle.

They're different bikes for different purposes. Remember that the ST is basically the new Camber with a new name. The ST is more XC/Trail and the Stumpjumper is more Trail/Enduro. Bottom bracket heights, headtube angles and wheelbase are altered a bit. Just locking out or increasing compression damping on rear suspension is going to make it ride high instead of sitting into the travel so your negative travel is never right. You're better off with more open damping for small bump sensitivity and more mid-stroke support so it's not too mushy. Tokens really only affect the progressiveness of the fork on bigger hits. Small bump sensitivity is mostly unchanged.

4. bigblue

bigblue

Stumpy is a trail bike. The Evo may be closer to Enduro but the basic long travel Stumpy is an All Mountain/Trail bike. The ST version doesn't sit lower in the travel so I'm not sure where that comment is applicable?

As for head angle and bb height, they can easily do those with the same front triangle, just different seat stay geometry. As the bb drops, so does the head angle.

Tokens affect progressiveness which affects mid-travel support while keeping small bump sensitivity intact. They are a solid solution when you are bottoming out a lot. NE tends to have technical trails, at least the ones I ride. Not freeride or enduro so much but short techy sections with low speed drops & such.

5. Bonesinium

Bonesinium

I don't ride, but I've been addicted to watching videos of Megavalanche and Mountain of Hell lately.

6. Brian5582

Brian5582

Those videos are amazing to watch. Those guys have some big ones that’s for sure. I could waste all day on YouTube watching them. I thought the guy in the mountain of hell video took some strange lines in spots. You could see some he was trying to take the short line but some were kind of like wtf. Obviously it’s easy to Monday morning quarter back it.

7. SteelShooter

SteelShooter NES Member

I would love to do those at about a tenth of their speed!

8. Salyeica

Salyeica NES Member

9. Brian5582

Brian5582

I saw her coming away from that crash with a little more than a bloody nose

10. Salyeica

Salyeica NES Member

5EF6A7BD-F9B3-4133-92BB-838A07ED1172.jpeg
    Busted hymen?

Yeah, that was a pretty nasty crash. For perspective, this is the view from the bottom of the runout, taken last week...

11. eboos

eboos

If anyone is into cyclocross, or wants to give it a try, Minuteman Road Club is hosting cyclocross practice every Wednesday night from 5:15 until dark at Ski Ward in Shrewsbury. $15 at the door the day of, or you can save about a dollar by registering in advance on BikeReg. Last night was my third time riding CX. It is a killer workout and way different than road.

12. new guy

new guy NES Member

13. Supermoto

Supermoto NES Member

I picked up my 2017 Django from them. Love it. No reason not to get it if its the right size and has the parts you like. The geo is modern
    The only reason I wouldn't get it is that for a few buck more, I think the Django 29 NX is a better deal, comes with a dropper. Also the fork on the S is not boost, which may or not matter if you plan to run wider rims for wider tires

new guy likes this.
  14. new guy

new guy NES Member

It’s a slippery slope. I’m already creeping up beyond what I wanted to drop. I keep looking back at hard tails and telling myself to save a few hundred bucks and suck it up.

15. new guy

new guy NES Member

Does building up from a frame usually end up costing more? There are some tempting end of season frame deals out there.

16. Supermoto

Supermoto NES Member

Yes it does. Frame and fork is going to run you the cost of the whole bike

new guy likes this.
  17. Supermoto

Supermoto NES Member

Full suspension is almost always better. I really like the split pivot design that Devinci uses. It is really soft and supple but ramps up fast so it will take bigger hits without bottoming out.

18. new guy

new guy NES Member

Sale ends tonight. Need to agonize a little more and take my wallet to bed with me. Thanks for the guidance.

19. new guy

new guy NES Member

And I’d actually have jumped on the NX for 200 more except they only have it in M. I’d prefer 1x11. The carbon NX is only 400 more though...

20. Supermoto

Supermoto NES Member

There is always bikes like the Marin hawk hill. it gets pretty good reviews at its price point

21. JAD

JAD

Will they allow you to run an (xc) MTB (27.5, ful-sus capable of being locked-out on both) or do they require a proper cx bike?

22. mtnbiker26

mtnbiker26 NES Member

Yup, you can run a mountain bike. I've seen dudes on fatbikes. Remove your cages so you can shoulder it. At higher levels there are more specific rules about bike types. Gloucester is coming up in a month. It's a great event to race or just spectate and it attracts some fairly fast pros.

23. mtnbiker26

mtnbiker26 NES Member

Yeah, it's like double. Large manufacturers like Trek, Giant, Specialized, etc are buying/manufacturing in huge volumes so their wholesale costs are much lower and their production efficiency is high so they can get a bike together at a high value. You have to consider the cost of assembly as well. A frame-up build with tubeless, internal routing, dropper install, brake bleeds is $300-$400.

new guy likes this.
  24. bigblue

bigblue

I don't know anything about the brand but for similar money you could get into the Trek Fuel, Scott Spark, or Specialized Stumpy ST base models. That $2,000 mark gets you into a fair number of 2019 models so I'd probably just save up for a week and get a 2019 model. $0.02

If you are going for a 2016, find one used and save way more then they are discounting that by.

new guy likes this.
  25. bigblue

bigblue

Having built my Epic S-Works frame up, this is accurate. Even doing it yourself will still cost you more and isn't necessarily worth the hassle over a full bike unless you are planning to spec it outside the options available.

26. bigblue

bigblue

Or get a YT...

new guy likes this.
  27. new guy

new guy NES Member

Ended up pulling the trigger on a ‘17 Django just now, after Evo dropped prices another 10%. Carbon, NX, dropper, etc. The YT Jeffsy made it a tough decision though.

shiprec13 likes this.
  28. Supermoto

Supermoto NES Member

Congrats, you'll love the bike

29. new guy

new guy NES Member

Budget be damned, I just contacted Evo and went with the GX build instead. I guess the Pike fork is in fact that much better, as are the wheels/rims.

Any of you guys ride Wompatuck with any regularity? Anyone race the landmine classic this year? I'm usually in there a couple of times a week running, but the mtb scene seems to be going very strong. I won't stalk you or make you ride with me or anything weird, just curious.

30. Supermoto

Supermoto NES Member

Awesome. If you got it with the 10% off that's a crazy good deal. The extra money for the Pike alone is worth it