1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

The comprehensive, omnibus Mountain Bike Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by carbuncle, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

An army of one...

2. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

Coincidentally, I have never seen nor heard of them. Do they taste like chicken?

3. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

DEEP: Red-Spotted Newt Fact Sheet

More to the point re: the storm:

20180529_070745.jpg

4. Brian5582

Brian5582

Hadn’t ridden in a few years due to some ongoing back problems and surgeries but I bought a Trek X Caliber 8 the beginning of June to start riding again slowly... ya right it as bad as guns. I have proceeded to dump another $1100 or so into it without so far. I would really like to replace the 30 Silver fork but can’t decide what to replace it with and have also been looking at buying a set of Light Bicycle carbon rims. Love the bike and it goes where I point it but I am probably going to buy a full suspension frame to build over the winter. Only part I have had to upgrade because it was starting to grind was the Deore BB. Upgraded to a XTR and it’s been good to go. Been riding Douglas State Forest, Midstate Trail, and Goat Hill area in Uxbridge.

75182F08-101D-4919-88F2-2523BD7B39D4.jpeg

a73elkyss likes this.
  5. Supermoto

Supermoto NES Member

sweet bike

I would get a better fork and not get carbon rims. Carbon rims a not a huge weight savings on a skinny bike.
    For forks, I'm a fan of the Pike, but a step cast Fox would be good on a hardtail

6. Brian5582

Brian5582

Ya the step cast 32 and pike are what I was mostly looking at. Was also looking at Yari. One problem I have is that my wheels are 9mm QR and I don’t think my hubs will work with 15mm. The front is built with Formula DC20 hub. I think the Formula hubs kind of suck. I haven’t had problems with them yet but you can feel that the bearings are not the smoothest rolling. I would prefer to upgrade the fork in the next few weeks but don’t know what to do with my hub. There obviously aren’t many forks still built with a 9mm axle. I don’t know if my best option is to re-lace the wheel with a new hub?

7. mtnbiker26

mtnbiker26 NES Member

Agreed. The Recon isn't great so a better fork will help keep the front tire down in the dirt. The Recon is a pretty heavy fork so an upgrade will definitely save some weight too. Carbon wheels can be a little dicey in New England. I have to re-rim a few every year at work. If you get too carried away with low tire pressure or strike a rock in a weird way then you could crack the hoop. The other issue with some carbon wheels is that they like to de-tension. The hoop isn't as elastic as aluminum so it doesn't pull on the nipples and keep tension on the threads. Aluminum hoops typically compress about 2mm in diameter when the wheel is built but carbon hoops don't. Pro-Lock nipples solve it but they suck to use. I rebuilt a carbon Roval Traverse wheelset with new spokes and the Pro-Locks and I had to hold the spokes with my Knipex for the entire build.

8. Brian5582

Brian5582

I haven’t ruled out a better set of aluminum wheels. As I just said in my last post the hubs kind of suck. I don’t see them last very long but I have a bigger problem of a 9mm front axle with a hub that I don’t think is serviceable or adaptable. So do I have the wheel re laced to match a new fork? That’s where I am kind of stuck.

9. Supermoto

Supermoto NES Member

Pick up a set of prebuilt wheels on Dt Swiss 350s. great hub for the price. Or just the front hub for cheap and have it laced up. They should come with end caps for QR and thru axle. If you are planning on getting a FS in the future, get a fork that will work on that bike too. A Yari on a HT might be too much, really change the geometry for the worse. So if you are planning a FS for the winter, decide on a frame and the travel length, then get a fork to match the travel

For a FS frame. I really like the Django I just picked up
    Django Jump1.jpg

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  10. Brian5582

Brian5582

Thanks for the advice. I know Trek sometimes does some weird stuff but so far most of the stuff I have bought should swap over if I decide to get rid of the hard tail. Any suggestions on who to look at for wheels? I am pretty light between 135 and 140 so I don’t need or want anything crazy as far as travel goes. The X Caliber comes with a 100mm fork and I think I could go with 120mm without upsetting the geometry too much or damaging the frame. It kind of sucks they didn’t put better hubs on the bike cause I really don’t know if I want to put any money into the Bontrager wheels.

Did you build or buy complete. Carbon or aluminum? 27.5 or 29?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  11. Supermoto

Supermoto NES Member

I would just wait until you ruin a hub or wheel before replacing them. Then based on what plan to do in the winter, you can make a better decision on what wheelset and fork will be best. Although you could pick up a used Fox float performance or RS Reba for cheap if you feel your fork is holding you back. You just want to avoid getting a nice 120mm fork now and then decide you want a 130+mm travel fork for a full suspension bike later.

I bought a complete bike, a 2017 Devinci Django Carbon 27.5. Got it online at a great discount since it was a left over. I went with 27.5 because I wanted a more playful poppy bike. Roll over wasn't as important as snappy handling. Plus I haven't tried a 27.5 bike yet. unchained 2.jpeg

12. Brian5582

Brian5582

That is a nice bike. I have been keeping my eyes open for a used QR front fork but they are obviously few and far between. Not going to drop 5-700+ on a fork I can’t use on another frame if I go that route. The fork isn’t exactly holding me back but it isn’t helping things either. I am definitely not looking to just jump into something just for the sake of it. If they had of spent another $10 on hubs it would sure make things a lot easier but I suppose what do you want for a $1200 bike. It sure beats sitting at home.

My last bike was a FS 26”, still have it in the basement. Weighs probably 40 pounds lol. Going to the 29” was like wholly crap how have I been missing this. I have ridden a 27.5 twice but never owned one.

13. Supermoto

Supermoto NES Member

It sure does. You might also want to look into stuff that makes a ride more fun or interesting. A bar mounted gps or lights for riding at night.

14. Brian5582

Brian5582

Ya I have a set of “Niterider” lights. Can’t remember what set. Also have a Garmin E-Trex 20 that I made a mount for out of a piece of Kydex. The GPS is older but has the eastern US Topo maps on it and does the job if I go somewhere I am not familiar with. I wish the screen was a little bigger and easier to see in the sunlight but it’s not like I am using it for turn by turn directions mostly just to make sure I don’t get lost. I also try to carry a paper map with me if I go somewhere with big woods like my in laws place in ME.

15. a73elkyss

a73elkyss NES Member

Peoples Republic of Central Massachusetts
    Just stumbled upon this awesome thread. Another thread were I'll learn lots of info from fellow NES'ers. Thanks.

A little background, many many years ago used to ride. I was clearly younger (duh!), in better shape, and had less "common sense". I could take much more abuse and didn't mind leaving some DNA on the trail.

Fast forward to just recently. Mrs. a73elkyss wanted to ride again, but more on a comfort only basis, as both of us are adjusting to medical conditions. Her old bike was trashed, so she decided on a new one.

I took out my very old '95 Schwinn High Timber SS. There are much better bikes out there, much better components, but I have so many memories with this bike, I just can't give it up. Besides, it rides just like it did 23 years ago. [smile]

A hitch for the Rogue arrives Monday, then a new rack, and we'll be off in the wind again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Supermoto likes this.
  16. Brian5582

Brian5582

She looks pretty good for her age. I don’t know how the tires/ tubes are still holding air but you might want to look into at least replacing those or at least grab a spare tube to take with you on rides.

a73elkyss likes this.
  17. a73elkyss

a73elkyss NES Member

Peoples Republic of Central Massachusetts
    Thanks. After a medical "incident" a few years ago, riding the bike was out of the question. But it was one of my "goals" to ride again. I had it brought to a local bike shop and had them adjust everything and go over it. No rush, I had plenty of time. [frown] They recommended new tires/tubes and I had them change them out with Ritchey MegaBite Climb-Max 2.1 Severe Condition tires. Old school type, but I like them. They asked if I wanted to trade it in for new full suspension model, and while that Trek looked awesome, I decided to just stick with this one.

Not trying to steal the tread, but I'm looking for a three bike rack to fit on a class 3 2" hitch on a 2009 Nissan Rogue. I'm kinda leaning towards the Saris Bones model as it has a fold down feature so I can open the rear hatch without taking the whole thing apart. Initially it will be used for fairly local trips, but eventually will take on longer trips. Suggestions to check into? Thanks.

18. Supermoto

Supermoto NES Member

Silly expensive, but awesome and really well made. plus it won't scratch the frame and the bikes won't bang into each other when you go down a bumpy street
    Bike Racks – 1UP USA | OFFICIAL SITE

a73elkyss likes this.
  19. Brian5582

Brian5582

I have an older 3 bike version that swings out of the way to open the tailgate or hatch. Would have to look at the brand. Picked it up off the side of the road brand new in someone’s trash pile. Works well and I know they make a newer model. I will get the name tomorrow.

a73elkyss likes this.
  20. jefftk

jefftk

I'm considering getting a new bike (last bicycle I got was probably ~15 years ago, when I was perhaps a few inches shorter)...
    Thinking about a hybrid style, perhaps this:
    CrossTrail - Mechanical Disc | Specialized.com

I would probably be mostly riding on roads and perhaps some well groomed trails as well.
    Anyone have any experience or recommendations with this style of bike?

21. Supermoto

Supermoto NES Member

If you are looking for a comfortable upright bike to just pedal down a rails to trails type path, see the sights and enjoy being outside. Then it will be fine.

22. Brian5582

Brian5582

My rack is a Surco swing away DBR400. It works great and built like a tank. It is more built for bikes with round tubes, mine is more rectangular but I just wrap a little piece of rubber roofing membrane around the top tube before I tighten the top clamp down.

a73elkyss likes this.
  23. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

24. Brian5582

Brian5582

Pretty sweet setup. Is that an alarmed cable lock or is it on a retractable real or something like that? I want to make something similar for the back of my pickup except I don’t have a cap and will probably make it out of aluminum.

I also came to the conclusion yesterday that my beat-up 36y/o body would appreciate a full suspension bike sooner than later. If anyone sees a deal on a small or medium full suspension frame or complete bike let me know. There are plenty of large out there used but not seeing much for smaller stuff. I am 5’4”-5’5” and riding a 17.5” Trek right now but if it was an 18.5” it would definitely be too big. I would prefer carbon but for the right price would go aluminum.

25. Supermoto

Supermoto NES Member

26. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

It's just a retractable reel cable - a secondary security measure in case I manage to forget to lock the cap. (Of course, it doesn't help the trail tools any.)

When I got the truck it came with a (completely useless) tonneau cover. My old S10 has a utility cap - good not only for keeping bike(s) and trail tools out of the weather, but great for transporting gear (e.g. customers' electronics) - so I decided to get one for the Colorado. When I saw I could get the sloped-roof model, the idea for the rack came to me.

2017-08-13 12.51.26.jpg

I really should keep the riding gear (pack, gloves, helmets, armor) in the back as well, but mainly due to not liking cold gear in the winter, have gotten into the bad habit of keeping it up in the back seat. Consequently the cab smells pretty beastly. [grin]

27. Brian5582

Brian5582

28. Supermoto

Supermoto NES Member

DEVINCI - DJANGO 29 GX
    Its what the MSRP is.
    At a local dealer you might be able to get 10% off. Possibly 20% if they really need to move it. I think this is a really good deal especially with the suspension you get.

29. Brian5582

Brian5582

They do have some pretty good deals right now. Sale is on till the 24th too. Plenty of time to dump an M&P 40c that I have been meaning to sell and a couple tools I don’t use to come up with a couple extra bucks. My marriage will probably fair better that way also.

30. EddieA

EddieA NES Member

Get it dirty before you bring it home. "Look honey, I got a sweet deal on a leftover demo bike!".

SteelShooter likes this.