1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

The comprehensive, omnibus Mountain Bike Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by carbuncle, Aug 16, 2014.

1. carbuncle

carbuncle

With a couple of MTB threads running beyond the scope of the OP, let's have a thread to shoot the shit on all topics related to mountain bikes. Gear, fitness, trails, questions, whatever: all riding styles and levels welcome!

2. carbuncle

carbuncle

So, I just got back into riding after a few years off. I rode trails and freeriding/park out in the Seattle area for most of the 2000's, drifted away from it after my first kid and found that I can't get it out of my system so in the interested of unfattening myself I picked up a hardtail 26" rig last month and have been riding it 2-3 times a week locally. No rack for the car yet, so I'm sticking to riding some very tame trails and road, but being back in the saddle is better than dreaming about it so I'm happy.

3. shipwreck

shipwreck

Nice man. I got into MTB as a way for me to have something similar to skiing for the off season. I'm down in CT and usually ride Bluff Point or Oswagatchie, both local and decent.

Have done a few endurance races too. I'd like to start doing those again, especially the overnight ones.

4. carbuncle

carbuncle

Night riding is fun, my wife got me a NiteRider Mininewt 350+ for my b-day so I can ride in the morning. Been riding single and doubletrack with it and it's very different, in a good way.

5. 73BLow

73BLow NES Member

About 20 years ago, I used to ride at Sunday River. They threw your bike on the back of the ski lift and took it off for you at the top. Then you just pointed your front wheel downhill and hung on for dear life - lol. My last run there consisted of launching off a 6 foot drop and landing so hard I bent both wheels beyond repair. I also folded the blue aluminum Answer handlebars (those were cool back then) around the stem like a cheap dinner spoon. I was riding a Redline hardtail w/ rigid front forks. The only thing hurt was my ego as I carried my bike on my back down the mountain.

So, I don't "mountain" bike anymore. I ride a bike with knobby tires down easy trails saying hi to mom's with their jogging strollers [smile]

6. murf4321

murf4321 NES Member

I grabbed a cyclocross bike 2 summers ago just to stop me from sitting on my ass in the summer, and I love the damn thing. Now when I get coffee I go full yuppee & take my bike.

7. 01bmf

01bmf

Had a new experience this week. Went flying up a seesaw and it decided not to switch sides, leading to some unexpected high flight. Landed it, much to my surprise.

8. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

My problem is that, around here, there are very few legit night riding options available. Most all trails are CT DEEP, and they're closed at sunset. (And no, poaching rides is NOT an option for me, for a variety of reasons.)

9. carbuncle

carbuncle

Cold this morning, in the 40s on my ride. Soon I'll need to break out the knee warmers!

I decided to see how far the NiteRider would go on the first charge, figuring that if it slowly burned down on this (the third hour-long ride since first charge) ride I could get away with a dim light until dawn...when super low on power, it abruptly shuts off. Exciting, in the pitch black! Also found that my 5-year-old Dakine hydration bladder is leaking, when it dumped a quarter of the bag down my back right when I got off the pavement.

The moon, Venus, Jupiter and Orion put on quite a show for me though...

10. new guy

new guy NES Member

I got a good deal on a Light & Motion Seca setup but haven't really taken it out at night yet. I think you just convinced me to try it out this weekend.

I've got something going on with my bike where the chain will skip out on me when I'm trying to climb and really putting a load on the pedals. It only happens in certain gears. I've replaced the chain but that didn't fix it. None of the rear rings look like they have any missing or bent teeth or anything, so my next step, I guess, is to take it to a shop because I'm sick of having the platform pedals come around and bite my calves. Anyone with any suggestions before I take it in? Am I better off just replacing some or all of the rear rings?

11. carbuncle

carbuncle

I'm going to guess you need a new cassette to go along with the chain: cassettes and chains wear together, so usually if you replace one you need to do the other.

1 person likes this.
  12. ToddDubya

ToddDubya NES Member

Does the chain drop or does it ghost shift on you? I've experienced ghost shifting when cable housings are worn, cables are dirty, cable guides are worn/dirty. Sometimes it's just the derailleur that just needs to be tweaked. Ghost shifting blows.

This message brought to you by the letter T and the number 9.

13. new guy

new guy NES Member

Nope - nothing like that going on. Derailleur is smooth and properly aligned.

I'll look into the cassette per carbuncle's suggestion after giving the gear teeth another look. I never knew they were essentially a wear item, but it makes sense.

14. Rotaryrocket

Rotaryrocket NES Member

Clean the cassette to. Make sure there's not caked up dirt and grime

15. ToddDubya

ToddDubya NES Member

The cassette and chain wear together so keep an eye out when you only replace one.

This message brought to you by the letter T and the number 9.

16. Rotaryrocket

Rotaryrocket NES Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408501123.181095.jpg got my trainer wheel on. Out of Sling with broken collar bone. Riding the streets.

17. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

Okay, since this mountain bike thread is not merely comprehensive but omnibus, here comes the pitch:

If you ride in New England, you really should join NEMBA.

Not merely for the subscription to SingleTracks. Not merely because a chunk of your dues comes back to your local chapter. And not merely because we are responsible for a ton of trail maintenance and sustainable trail development (not just for us, mind you, but ALL user groups).

NEMBA is also out there fighting to keep trails open to bikes. Despite an ample literature demonstrating we have an impact roughly on par with hikers (and far less severe than equestrians or the motorized guys), there are plenty of people out there trying to kick us out. (Here in Connecticut we've managed to beat back a couple.)

So, really, do it. You know you want to:
    http://nemba.org/join

(Oh, and rides, too: http://nemba.org/rides )

18. Rotaryrocket

Rotaryrocket NES Member

^^agreed. They keep those trails nice

19. carbuncle

carbuncle

"I'm a loner, and loners gotta be alone."

J/K, NEMBA is awesome, will be joining soon!

20. daveyburt

daveyburt NES Member

Take another good look at the front ring(s) too. They usually wear the more quickly than the rear. In times like these, I'll flip the bike over and pay careful and close attention to the way each chain link engages the ring.

Though I've had fine luck replacing chains and rings independently, as someone mentioned, that could still be your issue.

Till then, wear your chin pads backwards to avoid hamburger calf.
    :)

Maybe we should also call out or rides here in the tread.
    -2002 Sinister ridge (around town ripper)
    -200? Santa Curz Blur 4x (Highland bike)

21. carbuncle

carbuncle

Good call, I haven't taken pics yet but the new (to me) whip is a Transition Vagrant circa 2007-ish. Great all-around beater for my riding style! Came with a Fox 36, pre-2008 Mavic Deemax wheels and a newly-installed Shimano Zee 1x10 drivetrain. I added a 70mm Race Face Chester stem and Chromag Fubars to open up the cockpit a little, fits like a glove now.

22. ToddDubya

ToddDubya NES Member

I ride a 2010 Scott Scale 29er most of the time. I finally ditched the loud ass Avid Elixir hydraulics and replaced them with a pair of BB7s. They don't brake as well but they're quiet and adjustable. No regrets there.

Last night, after banging my first thumb knuckle on the shifter for the last few years, I finally spent the 3 minutes it takes to loosen the shifters and move them over a bit. Talk about a quality of life improvement.

In the winter (or when I'm in the mood), I break out the Salsa Mukluk and hit the snowmobile trails or well-packed regular trails. That thing is a dream to ride. I grin ear-to-ear every time. Well, except the time I broke the chain midway through an out-and-back ride and had to hump it the whole way back.

23. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

That's why I carry a couple PowerLinks with me... along with a few other things...
    http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...rs-out-there?p=4018793&viewfull=1#post4018793

[smile]

24. Red Leg

Red Leg

last year went to get my 94 gary fisher tuned up...walked out with a new bike. got a 650b KHS and i love it. the only upgrade so far have been the pedals, the bike came with the cheap pedals that your foot always slip off, i got a pair of Spike Spank flats and they are fantastic. i always ride alone, but tonight i think im going to go on the NEMBA group ride at Harold Parker. It should be interesting, its supposed to be an intermediate ride, i think i should be able to hang.
    On a side note, my son wants a mountain bike, im thinking of giving him mine, then talking my wife into getting me a Yeti. keep your fingers crossed

25. ToddDubya

ToddDubya NES Member

I normally do have them. After a few lost bag / bag left open incidents I'm running low. I should be carrying a chain tool, too. Just having the link won't do me any good if I can't get the broken link out.

26. new guy

new guy NES Member

2007 (?) Giant NRS (carbon fiber, full suspension) craigslist special.

[​IMG]

I got it from an Australian who bought it in Australia so the brakes were reversed when I got it. I've since replaced them, but riding with them the other way took a little getting used to.

On that note, disc brake squeal - discuss.

27. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

Testing the chest mount for the GoPro 3D rig:

[video=youtube_share;3wKnxmPQCp8]http://youtu.be/3wKnxmPQCp8[/video]

(Use the Settings to up the resolution to full HD, and the options link to select the 3D type.)

Sorry about the brake squeal and my Darth Vader noises on the climbs. [grin]

1 person likes this.
  28. ToddDubya

ToddDubya NES Member

I forgot my 3D glasses, so this doesn't have the full effect.

In other news, I've found mounting cameras to the head tube yields more stable footage.

29. carbuncle

carbuncle

Brake squeal: like a bear bell, it scares the critters away. Some of my Avids have had it, some not, seems to depend on the type and quality of the pads as much as anything. Either sintered or organic tended to scream more, I can't remember which...

30. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

Haven's specifically tried the head tube - DID try handlebar mount and it shook like a whore in church:

[video=youtube_share;26y-KMNroRc]http://youtu.be/26y-KMNroRc[/video]

I figured with the chest mount, my legs would play shock absorbers (and to a certain extent, they did). The big problem is that the stereo rig is big and bulky (funny saying that about anything GoPro), and even with the chest mount, I have to use the extended mounting bracket both to make it fit, and to enable tilting it upward so it's looking out over the handlebars and not down at the top tube.

Here's a side view of the rig in the chest mount:
    2014-08-21 16.33.06.jpg

Best I can think of: some sort of bungee cord arrangement around me and across the top of it. Doesn't sound too comfortable, tho.

1 person likes this.