The collection.

So far I've been marveling over everyone's collections without showing any of my own. So here goes... (Apologies for the crappiness of the images, I was using a camera phone.) So here they are:
1018091808.jpg

Rifles bottom to top:

1.My grandfather's 1944 M1 Garand, complete with 16" Bayonet. The strap however is Korean war as I have had no luck finding a WW2 one.

2. Lithgow Arsenal Stamped 1918 Enfield 1 Mk 3. Definitely one of my favorites. This Australian rifle came to me a little beat up but I considered it a bargain for >$300. I've since cleaned it up, and given it a little TLC.

3. The pride and joy of my collection. An Izzy 1928 Ex Dragoon in really great shape all around. Haven't fired it yet, but will have it at the milsurp shoot in Nov.

4.1935 Mosin 91/30 Nagant. Definitely a fun-gun, it's also on of the most accurate guns of my collection.

5. M44 Mosin with the folding Bayonet. Every time I take this thing out, I always wonder why after. This carbine has the biggest kick and makes the most noise out of any of my rifles. People tend to give me a wide birth at the range after dealing with the blast from this thing.

6. K98 Mauser, gotta love German engineering.

7. Dutch Beaumont, this beauty has a few minor marks on the stock. No pitting anywhere on the barrel, matching bolt, stock, and even Bayonet. It's another one i've yet to actually try out. I have been able to find some ammo for it, so once that arrives, I'll hopefully be able to try it out.

Rifles from left to right:

1. Romanian AK-47 SAR-1. Nothing too special about this one yet. Just the standard model. However I would qualify this as a "fun gun" while definitely a collection piece for lovers of Russian rifles, I could use this one all day without much trouble. You can literally feel it absorb the recoil.

2. Swiss Rubin k31: The Karabinger... I don't particularly care for it. While I like the straight pull BA, the kickback and the style of the stock hurts my hand. It just doesn't feel stable, so I don't use it.

3. Type 99 Arisaka. This one had the seal shaved off of it. While pretty accurate, with almost no kickback, it shoots a smaller round and is otherwise unimpressive.

The Pistols:
Purchased before I got my license, from a southern mass antique dealer, I've had a hard time figuring out exactly the model. What I know: 1861 Remington Single Action Navy issue. From what I can figure out, it posses traits of both the old action and the next model pistol used. These were called "Old Army Conversion models." In case anyone is wondering, yes it is original.
1018091811.jpg
Nagant model 1895. Barrel stamped Tula Arsenal 1935, double action. I've never been able to find any 7.62x38mm rounds... so I've stuck using 32 Longs. Not a big fan of this as they have a tendency to bulge out slightly and be a bit more difficult to get out of the cylinder. Otherwise, a great gun!
1018091809.jpg
I love this gun. DWM Luger. My only complaint is that it does not have an original clip. I need to find one for it.
1018091808a.jpg
Well that's everything. Although I do have a "retired" Springfield 1873 that hangs on my wall.

Last edited:
Nice guns !
The grips on the Luger do look like East German plastic ones, which could point towards a VoPo rework. Are they plastic or wood ?
Is there a "sunburst" stamped on the pistol ?

Nice guns !
The grips on the Luger do look like East German plastic ones, which could point towards a VoPo rework. Are they plastic or wood ?
Is there a "sunburst" stamped on the pistol ?

It's odd, they feel like plastic, but when I removed and examined them, they're actually wood.

Also, negative, the writing is barely legible, but its a cursive stamp "DWM"

Hmm, the roundle on the grip shown is odd, definitely not the pattern for original grips. I would have bet they're made of brown bakelite; see the grips on this one for comparison http://forum.lugerforum.com/showpost.php?p=165746&postcount=1

DWM's logo was not in question.
IF there is a "sunburst" (East German rework mark) it should be beneath the holdopen lever.

Hmm, the roundle on the grip shown is odd, definitely not the pattern for original grips. I would have bet they're made of brown bakelite; see the grips on this one for comparison http://forum.lugerforum.com/showpost.php?p=165746&postcount=1

DWM's logo was not in question.
IF there is a "sunburst" (East German rework mark) it should be beneath the holdopen lever.

There is something that resembles that just at the end of the receiver, on the left side above the serial number. So perhaps it is. The mark looks like an old US fire dept. logo. It's somewhat worn so it's hard to tell.

6. K98 Mauser, gotta love German engineering.

What year and maker? RC or bringback?

MS

I'll have to look at the barrel when I get home. It has no import markings on it though so I think it's a bring back.

Is it a bring back? Numbers matching? Bolt mis-match? How's the bore? That is a year and code I do not have.[smile]

MS

SO MANY QUESTIONS! [rofl]

Ok I did more research, I'm afraid I don't think it is a bring back. It appears that it is a Russian Confiscation since the particular barrel stamp on it were mostly deployed on the Eastern front. Everything appears to match... however the only way i can tell is that the numbers appear to have been etched on with a knife or something, so I could be wrong, but those numbers match. The bore looks good. The rifle is definitely shootable and definitely appears to have seen a lot of action as the stock took a beating.

Know a lot of people prefer "Collectors Grade" condition, but I do not. Anything in that condition most likely went to reservists or guards and did not see much action. If I collect, I want a rifle that was present at the big battles. I know the grade of the rifle isn't always the way to tell, but I would find it very difficult to believe that a collectors grade WW2 M1 was present at Bulge or any other serious campaign given their survivability.

Sounds like you have a RC. The rifle in its original condition was perhaps captured at Stalingrad, and then in the 1950's stripped, cleaned, and reassembled with many parts from other captured K98s, hence the electropenciled, forced matched numbers. Some like to keep them in this condition. On my three RC's I have searched for and swapped around parts matching the Waffenampt (manufacturer) codes of the rifle's action. While not original by any means, I have token pains to put my rifles back into some semblance of their original condition. To each his own.[grin] Hope you enjoy shooting it. I just posted this afternoon about shooting my most original K98.

MS

Back
Top Bottom