• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

THE CMP,the philippine returns

My God, the work involved inventorying that quantity. I would like to pick one up someday, but how would CMP sell these? Not auction listings again? And what is the reference to Massachusetts and ownership?

My God, the work involved inventorying that quantity. I would like to pick one up someday, but how would CMP sell these? Not auction listings again? And what is the reference to Massachusetts and ownership?

That's about the 1911s they're selling, not these. You can't get one of the 1911s in MA because they aren't on the list.

rest assured all the good stuff will be cmp auction.
the ones worth salvaging as complete rifles will be offered up through cmp.
everything else will be built into complete rifles, refinished into cmp specials.... Maybe we will see a large amount of the CMP specials in 30-06,308 and sniper versions.
That #1 HR will end up in the hands of the highest bidder I'm sure.

i can't wait to get back to the marksmanship park/south store again soon. i'm not sure a lot of people caught my thread on that trip because i think it got swallowed by the forum because of some mass shooting blah blah blah.

i've been blowing my load on other milsurp junk lately, but need to start collecting parts to complete that Win13 project that SHOULD be able to become a reality with 86,000 fresh donors out there :D

there's just something about these rifles that I can't get enough of. if i could afford it, I would own 100 of them and just shoot them all day, every day.

have any of you guys ever shot a sniper? i saw one at the south store last year but obviously couldn't afford it...and it wasn't souped up with the scope at all anyway. just wondering if they did anything to these accuracy wise that would make the base level rifles more accurate?

Based on the video, I bet we will see a lot of CMP Special 'Field' grades. Some of them a bit rusty but probably could be disassembled, metal parts grit blasted, re-parked, and salvaged at least for the receivers.

Looks like there's some good stuff in there, however. IMHO, the CMP tends to understate condition so that in most cases the buyers will be at least pleased if not pleasantly surprised with their rifles. OK, maybe not always perfect but a far cry from the exaggeration and hype that you get from the jerks at Classic.

Nice to see these coming back, as the CMP was getting to the end of its current inventory. A couple years ago Mark Johnson told us that the CMP would be out of M1's sometime in 2018.

The Korean M1's on average are probably in better shape, but who knows if/when those will be returned. Seems that the Koreans have conveniently forgotten that 'lend' means eventual return.

The Korean M1's on average are probably in better shape, but who knows if/when those will be returned. Seems that the Koreans have conveniently forgotten that 'lend' means eventual return.

I guess they didn't get the memo that the Korean War ended a couple of weeks ago.

Maybe if somebody tells them that we can get our rifles back? :D

Based on the video, I bet we will see a lot of CMP Special 'Field' grades. Some of them a bit rusty but probably could be disassembled, metal parts grit blasted, re-parked, and salvaged at least for the receivers.

Looks like there's some good stuff in there, however. IMHO, the CMP tends to understate condition so that in most cases the buyers will be at least pleased if not pleasantly surprised with their rifles. OK, maybe not always perfect but a far cry from the exaggeration and hype that you get from the jerks at Classic.

Nice to see these coming back, as the CMP was getting to the end of its current inventory. A couple years ago Mark Johnson told us that the CMP would be out of M1's sometime in 2018.

I thought the Korean ones were purchased and owned by S Korea?

i can't wait to get back to the marksmanship park/south store again soon. i'm not sure a lot of people caught my thread on that trip because i think it got swallowed by the forum because of some mass shooting blah blah blah.

i've been blowing my load on other milsurp junk lately, but need to start collecting parts to complete that Win13 project that SHOULD be able to become a reality with 86,000 fresh donors out there :D

there's just something about these rifles that I can't get enough of. if i could afford it, I would own 100 of them and just shoot them all day, every day.

have any of you guys ever shot a sniper? i saw one at the south store last year but obviously couldn't afford it...and it wasn't souped up with the scope at all anyway. just wondering if they did anything to these accuracy wise that would make the base level rifles more accurate?
not much was done other than close inspection of barrel from what I understand.
M1Cs receivers where picked out of a serial range and specially heat treated (i assume for the scope base screw holes). The serial ranges where from springfield receivers from 3.1mil to about 3.8mil. the first scope was a 2.2x lyman. the barrels where only picked at a slightly higher off the line specs . As far as i have seen there where no special improvements of the M1c or M1d the M1d did have a seperate barrel number as they where machined to take the scope base sleave on the barrel.
Remember these rifles did not have special ammo made for them so it was general issue M2 ball which was good enough for GI if it stayed under 5 moa average. so accuracy was only as good as the ammo and the shooter. the scopes where only 2x and 4x that i know of so if anything it just slightly increased the visual range of the platform.

86,000 times an average of $750, is $64.5 million.

Minus the almost $6 million to fumigate, de-asbestos, and ship the entire lot back.
Minus the real hands-on work that started once they got back.
Minus the tomato stakes not worth more than scrap metal prices.

But in the end, 100% of everything they make above their costs, will go to the promotion of civilian marksmanship, with an emphasis on youth shooting sports.

Minus the almost $6 million to fumigate, de-asbestos, and ship the entire lot back.
Minus the real hands-on work that started once they got back.
Minus the tomato stakes not worth more than scrap metal prices.

But in the end, 100% of everything they make above their costs, will go to the promotion of civilian marksmanship, with an emphasis on youth shooting sports.
and the several mil to pay for the board of directors.
also consider CMP utilizes volunteers

I thought the Korean ones were purchased and owned by S Korea?

I spent two years in S. Korea in the late 80's and never saw any Garands there being carried by Korean troops. Plenty of M16s, M1 Carbines, M14s, Browning 1919A4's, M2 .50bmg, but never saw a Garand anywhere. They must have been in warehouses somewhere in crates.

Hell, the Koreans at least held on to them, the Brits dumped all the guns they begged us for and we supplied to them into the ocean..... The fvcking ingrates!

I didn't make the claim but became curious. Here's the IRS 990 Form. Page 7 shows compensation, only 3 people show compensation here (BOD or executives);

https://www.guidestar.org/FinDocuments/2016/341/839/2016-341839195-0e0f31ef-9.pdf
thank you sir was looking for that, plus I know there is another report of some sort floating around there that shows more employees and what they made.
So between salaries and other stuff like 401k , healthcare and such its probably a few mil just for the BOD.
The CMP is a cash cow. Even after spending all the money on the new shooting park IIRC cmp 2017 report showed 200mil in the kitty?? still
Im also going to gander they have had a few raises since this 2015 report.
If I had only known back then you could get a job paying that much to sell rifles. I might have got in some how sweeping floors and work my way upo_O

thank you sir was looking for that, plus I know there is another report of some sort floating around there that shows more employees and what they made.
So between salaries and other stuff like 401k , healthcare and such its probably a few mil just for the BOD.
You might want to look again.

The directors all had compensation of -0-.

You might want to look again.

The directors all had compensation of -0-.
Yes, I have no idea what he was looking at. Director, Chair and Vice-Chair (IIRC) were the 3 compensated executives, total about $600K. Other BOD got ZERO. Paid staff is another story and never broken out, but people who work for a living have to be paid no matter what business or charity they work for.

Last edited:
I think they think that, and we have a difference of opinion. Yes, they were trying to sell them- that's a fact.
There's so much going on with the Korean rifles.
One of the old timers at one club I go to who is deep into collecting milsurps says at one point in the late 80s early 90s Korea was wanting the M1s gone and the claim is the Army did not anything to do with getting them back and gave Korea the green light to sell them. I think this also happened with Great Britain and to a lesser degree canada ?
He says that's when the market was flooded with parts kits for $75 or so in the early 90s. I was just getting into buying my own stuff then and garands where off my affordable radar at that time. $89 sks was more my speed.
It's all good and offers up conversation at least.

That's about the 1911s they're selling, not these. You can't get one of the 1911s in MA because they aren't on the list.
There is a bill in the MA legislature to exempt any CMP guns from the list and AG decree.

My guess is that it will be "referred to study".

Back
Top Bottom