• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The Catastrophic Injury Kit from the Tactical Development Group

Lewitt

Instructor
The Tactical Development Group in conjunction with Rescue-Essentials.com is now publically offering our Catastropic Injury Kit. I designed this kit for a major overseas contractor, and I have trained and deployed dozens of people around the world carrying it. I have field tested this kit against some of the other major IFAK's and I feel that it performs better and is better equipped than any other individual trauma kit on the market.

When I was tasked to designed a personal trauma kit for overseas operations, my instructions were clear; Make the best kit you can that is compact, easy to carry, easy to use, that can treat 2 serious casualties or one major multi-trauma. It must address the results of RPG and IED attacks, high speed projectiles, and motor vehicle accidents in remote and austere locations. Simple right??

I designed the kit around a Maxpedition FIGHT pouch which is in my opinion the best IFAK on the market. I own several kits from Paraclete, BlueForce Gear, NARP and SEPCOPS Gear and I like this one the most. The number one reason is its versatility. You open up most IFAKS and the kit is configured ONE way for ONE loadout. You can't really swap out gear or specialize it. Not so with the FIGHT pouch. It is very versatile.

Next, I included the best gear on the market that is both high speed but time tested. I included "redundant" materiels, including 2 hemostatics, 2 tourniquets, 2 battle dressings, 2 bulky gauze, and 2 chest seals. I have researched every one of these products both through interviews with medics and phsycians serving overseas as well as all peer-reviewed medical studies which have been published and are publically available.

Why all the "extra" gear? Who said you only need one tourniquet? What about multiple entry and exit wounds? Multiple casualties and you're the only one trained and equiped to treat them? If you research the major terrorist attacks, both successful and failed, what do you see? London, Madrid, Bali, Mumbai, the World Cup attacks in London and lets not forget the attempted bombing in Times Square. Small groups of armed and trained men who commit terrible acts of violence which result in many casualties. If you bring that message back to the US we have a bad economy and an increasingly violent society where workplace shootings, school shootings and gun crimes are more and more common.

It is no longer enough to be armed. You need to know how to treat the results of armed violence.

The Catastrophic Injury Kit is suited for SWAT and Military Operations, Patrol vehicles, hunters and outdoorsmen, overseas contractors, and responsibly armed Citizens. It ataches easily to body armor or a drop-leg panel, a blow-out kit or active shooter bag, and is designed to accept a shoulder strap. It retails right around 200 dollars. This is an advanced notice! I don't think rescue-essentials has posted this kit on their site yet, but they will soon. Anyone who's interested can PM me and I can forward you their newsletter where they are announcing the launch.

As always, stay dafe and keep training!

Best,

Bill Lewitt

Bill, I see the kit offered up on the Rescue Essentials web site. I think I am tracking on everything except the chest seals.Why different seals rather than 2 of the same. I am guessing for different injuries but in my lizard mind a chest seal is a chest seal. Can you staighten me out if thats possible. Thanks Robbie

Chest Seals

Sir,

The chest seals I included are the Hyfin and the Bolin.

The Bolin has 3 vents. It is designed to prevent air from entering an injured chest and release pressure from inside the thoracic cavity as it builds. Problem is... No one said you're only going to have 1 hole in the chest!

If you look at likely wound patterns and the dynamics of trauma, it is likely you'll see multiple entry wounds and possibly exit wounds as well. Exit wounds are larger and will allow for the easier passage of air OUT through a 1-way valve. The entry wounds, generally smaller, will be covered by the Hyfin Chest Seal.

The Hyfin is roughly 6 inches square. It has no valve. If you have 1 or multiple entry wounds placed closely together, cover them witht the Hyfin. If they are spread out, cut the Hyfin (shears are in the kit) and cover the entry wounds.

Sorry for the delay. I just got back from the Warrior Conference in Reno. What a good time!

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Lewitt

Back
Top Bottom