• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The Buffer - Theory and when to Use What Buffer

This video popped up in Google Now while I was on the train home last night. I figured I would share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8boc8aFgfT8

What I got out of it was a better understanding of why buffer weight matters, why they are designed how they are designed, and what issues arise from using an improperly weighted buffer.

Cliffs Notes: It pretty much makes no difference for semi-auto only guns. [grin]

I have used the Spikes ST-T1 tungsten dust buffer in two rifles now and I really, really like it. Based on this I would guess that it would not be good in a full auto rifle, though.

the wrong buffer wieght or spring can cause problems in semi auto also.
to light the gun wil beat the shit out of its self. to heavy it can not cycle and still beat it self up.

Exactly.

So let me give you all a little advice on why you should never ever spend big bucks on a low mass operating system for your race guns. You can get the same results by doing two things.

1) remove all the buffer weights from the buffer.
2) purchase or trade for a cut out semi-auto bolt carrier. Nobody wants these, they are easy to find.

boltCarriers_zpsfcwgtsn2.gif

obviously you need an adjustable gas block, just like the low mass operating system you pay $500 for. But this kind of setup results in a VERY fast AR action with minimal recoil.

I have tried this setup in a machine gun lower I own and haven't had problems, although that doesnt change the fact that bolt bounce is very real in the M16, it was fun to shoot a M16 with a cyclic rate approaching 2000 rpm.

- - - Updated - - -

the wrong buffer wieght or spring can cause problems in semi auto also.
to light the gun wil beat the shit out of its self. to heavy it can not cycle and still beat it self up.

Yes, but in a semi-auto gun, there is no need for a sliding buffer weight inside the buffer. (Which is why I have simply removed them in one of my guns)

You still need to match the amount of gas you put into the system with the weight of the reciprocating parts and the strength of the spring.

Back
Top Bottom