• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The Brutal Origins of Gun Rights

MaverickNH

NES Member
The Brutal Origins of Gun Rights

A new history argues that the Second Amendment was intended to perpetuate white settlers' violence toward Native Americans... What the Second Amendment guarantees is instead something else: “the violent appropriation of Native land by white settlers … as an individual right.

One of the best works of Liberal Elitist fiction I’ve read in ... maybe a day or two.

The New Republic was founded in 1914 as a journal of opinion which seeks to meet the challenge of a new time. For over 100 years, we have championed progressive ideas and challenged popular opinion. Our vision for today revitalizes our founding mission for our new time. The New Republic promotes novel solutions for today’s most critical issues. We don’t lament intractable problems; our journalism debates complex issues, and takes a stance. Our biggest stories are commitments for change.

Today, the New Republic is the voice of creative thinkers, united by a collective desire to challenge the status quo

Riiiiiight. No way did they base ANY of it on the English Bill of Rights (1689), which in 1776 they complained about the King abrogating. Naaaahhhh

Avalon Project - English Bill of Rights 1689

Read it. Its similarity in the beginning to the Declaration, and in the middle to the subsequent US "Bill of Rights" will astound you.

How shameful. I personally am disgusted at myself for supporting gun rights all this time, though in fairness I had no idea that supporting gun rights had anything to do with those poor people who lived 300 years ago.

So what should we do? If we give up gun rights now will it help to right the wrongs of the past? Can I help save the feelings of at least one Native American? We finally got around to tearing down all those statues of those scumbag racist founding fathers who lived way back when and that seems to have done some good - should we tear down 2A next? Where do I sign?

Doesn't 2A apply to all Americans?

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the non-native people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Oh. I guess it doesn't. I feel so foolish.

“the violent appropriation of Native land by white settlers … as an individual right.

My understanding of history is that most of this was done by the army (.gov)

The 2A statement of RKBA is modified from the English Bill of Rights which only stated it for Protestants according to their station. In contrast, the 2A assured it to the People. There was ongoing conflict with the Native Americans, but to say that was 'the reason' for the 2A absolutely ignores the US Bill of Rights intentionally and unabashedly echoing and extending the contents of the English Bill of Rights of a hundred years prior.

True, there were laws and punishment for selling guns to the Indiginous Peoples of America, but gun laws were not very effective... somehow some think they can work now to keep guns out of the wrong hands.

Back
Top Bottom