• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The brush gun is not a myth

I use Reminton Core Lokt in .308 when hunting deer with a rifle. The core/jacket bond is well engineered and proven over many decades. Last thing you want is a catastrophic separation of core and jacket which leaves a game animal grievously wounded and running away. Brush-busting rounds are interesting and make for lively conversation, but I will pass on the shot every time unless I can clearly see my target and what's beyond it. Safety first!
You live in mass and hunt deer up north?

I've never had a deer run more than 30 yards when hit with a shotgun slug. There no jacket to separate lol.....just big damn hole.

Your level of "safety" is commendable I guess. But shooting a deer at 20 yards in a laurel thicket is commonly done very safely. And that's really what this discussion is about. In thick woods a 308 is not the ideal gun for that style of hunting......your not even going to see a deer past 75 yards in thick woods so why tote a 308 around?

Last edited:
Wish I could use my Marlin .44 lever here in Ma but alas it’s relegated to steel targets or coyotes. I was at the range yesterday and popped off a box of 50. That’s about all I can take with that gun on the shoulder. Open buckhorn sights to 100 yards are not a problem with a 12” plate. It’s so hard to see in the shadows of the forest edge late in the day while focused on the front sight though.

I’m sure that hollow point .44’s will push through brush no problem up to 50 yards. I saw that video last year and was impressed.

Man I love that Marlin lever.

I've never had a deer run more than 30 yards when hit with a shotgun slug. There no jacket to separate lol.....just big damn hole.

Your level of "safety" is commendable I guess. But shooting a deer at 20 yards in a laurel thicket is commonly done very safely. And that's really what this discussion is about. In thick woods a 308 is not the ideal gun for that style of hunting......your not even going to see a deer past 75 yards in thick woods so why tote a 308 around?
Yes, I have hunted in northern NH and the Rangeley Lake area of Maine. The stainless Savage Axis .308 that I use was actually my swamp/bayou rifle when I hunted in Alabama and Louisiana. Got one just like it in .223 for varmints and coyote. When I hunt in MA, I use one of my 12 gauge 870s loaded with Brenneke slugs. Accurate out to 100 yards with that load and the ghost ring sights on my shotguns. If you get up to Rangeley, you might want to bring some fishing tackle along with your firearm of choice. The fishing there is excellent.

Had to post this short clip with my daughter holding my iPhone in late winter. These were standing shots with the buck horns to an 8” 5/8” thick plate at 60 yards. The sound that steel makes from the jhp .44 mag is heavenly.

My dad has killed lots of deer with the Ruger 44 mag. Carbine. I still have it. Its a classic for 100 yards and in.

?

If you hunt long enough and shoot at enough deer odds are, youll have one or more go over 100 yards, or worse a wound where the lead flattens out and doesn’t penetrate a bone or shoulder.

That is where a rifle makes the difference, a smaller diameter faster flying core lock type projectile would penetrate.

Honestly in brush. Anything goes. I hit one once with those Remington copper solids. Hit a sapling about 10 yards in front of the deer. Those things were segmented in the front hollow point to blow apart on impact. The solid part missed the deer, but one of the pieces blew off upon hitting the sapling and put a hole the size of a 22 thru bothlungs.

The eight pointer went a long way uphill maybe 200 yards.....but eventually was laying dead at the end of a real sparse blood trail.

.44 mag Ruger Carbine - old school & deadly! Great brush gun or even some distance up to about 100 yards or so - if you ever get that chance which is not too often around these parts. I hunt NH BTW. It's like hunting with a .22 (weight wise) only with a lot more kick ass!

Stock photo but looks just like mine. I've got a 1x4 Leupold on mine.
img_9659.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
Nice! I just started deer hunting a few years ago with my dad and grandfather in Maine. I'm using a Henry 44 mag. What ammo you running with that for deer?

Yes, I have hunted in northern NH and the Rangeley Lake area of Maine. The stainless Savage Axis .308 that I use was actually my swamp/bayou rifle when I hunted in Alabama and Louisiana. Got one just like it in .223 for varmints and coyote. When I hunt in MA, I use one of my 12 gauge 870s loaded with Brenneke slugs. Accurate out to 100 yards with that load and the ghost ring sights on my shotguns. If you get up to Rangeley, you might want to bring some fishing tackle along with your firearm of choice. The fishing there is excellent.
Nice. You're not too far from where I hunt with my dad and grandfather. My dad's had a hunting/skiing camp near Kingfield.

Back
Top Bottom