1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

The Body Bearers - USMC

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by FPrice, Feb 13, 2019.

1. FPrice

FPrice Retired Zoomie NES Life Member NES Member

2. fitzknny

fitzknny NES Member

Thanks for posting this, always gives me gives me a Lump in my throat and a lot of pride to see Marines taking the time to see fellow Marines be given a final and honorable salute, and also to share that pride with the Family's . It's a bond forever sacred to all Marines , past and present.

dustoff22 and Choctaw like this.
  3. Nhusa

Nhusa

Not only the Marines!
    I co-worker that retired from the navy - subs - died and I was surprised to see 3 guys in uniforms at his funeral

4. new guy

new guy NES Member

I don’t know who they were, but when my grandfather passed 25 years ago there was a contingent of soldiers in uniform who attended the services, presented a flag, etc. He was a polish WWII vet who, to my knowledge, never actually served in the US armed forces (though he did fight alongside them across North Africa and into Italy). Classy.

5. dans

dans NES Member

I've got a friend who does the honor guard (not sure if that is the correct term) for the Marines. I have always respected him and his choice to be a Marine. I now have even more.

Thanks for posting this.

6. Chevy 2 65

Chevy 2 65 NES Member

God Bless our vets and the men and women who are deployed. Thank You

[​IMG]

chuckster and Talon3 like this.
  7. FPrice

When I was a young Air Force Lt, the junior officers on base rotated through the additional duty of Honor Guard OIC for funeral duty. The enlisted personnel who formed the Guard were all volunteers, generally pretty good to work with and did a great job performing their duties. I went on three such details. One was pretty uneventful while a second was marked by thunder and lightning coming up quickly almost at the end of the ceremony. I was concerned that the airman holding the flag was going to be struck but we were able to retire in an orderly manner without incident.

The third one almost erupted into a riot with me in the middle.

Before the ceremony one of the OIC's duties was to confirm with the funeral director who would be receiving the flag. Normally it was a surviving spouse and that was the case at this funeral. He made sure that he pointed out where she would be sitting.

Well the ceremony went as rehearsed and one of the flag detail brought me the folded flag. We exchanged very slow, formal salutes (to the flag) and I turned to the funeral party and began to bring the flag to the spouse. Right where the funeral director said she would be. I stepped in front of her and began to bend down to present the flag and condolences on her loss.

All of a sudden about half of the funeral party (all on one side) stood up and yelled at me, "NO, NO! GIVE IT TO THE MOTHER!"

OH DAMN! Did the funeral director make a mistake? I began to straighten up and looked at the person they were insistently pointing to. I began to turn when:

The other half of the funeral party (all on the other side) stood up and yelled, "NO! GIVE IT TO THE WIFE!"

The funeral director was nowhere to be seen so with all the the grace and composure I could muster I gave it to the wife, expressed the condolences as scripted for the occasion then taking my time in hurry collected the Honor Guard and departed. Never looked back to see what happened. And the base never received any complaints so I guess that it all worked out.

The duty wasn't particularly difficult but it was worth it to honor departed members and give some comfort to the survivors.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    KBCraig likes this.
  8. clampett

clampett NES Member

One of our forum members is a Marine Honor Guard.

9. Picton

Picton NES Member

They came when my grandmother passed. She was the first woman in Syracuse to enlist in the Marines during WWII, and when she passed the local Marine Reserve unit sent three young men to do the honors. A corporal, a lance, and a private, and they couldn’t have been more professional and respectful.

Semper fi.

KBCraig and cams like this.
  10. Dadstoys

Dadstoys NES Member

Thanks for posting .
    I saw this a while back and it's a great video.

11. dustoff22

dustoff22 NES Member

Respect! Marine traditions are second to none, this one included.

Quiggy likes this.
  12. Howland

Howland

clampett and FPrice like this.
  13. FPrice

I've read that before. Very powerful.

I wish that every politician who has the ability to vote to send our troops to war would be required to make at least one casualty notification and understand what it means.

Howland likes this.
  14. Manomet

Manomet NES Member

Any honorably discharged veteran is entitled to an honor guard at their funeral. If the funeral director won't/can't get it done the local veterans service officer can. On another note and mentioned here before watch Kevin Bacon in "Taking Chance".

Quiggy likes this.
  15. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

I got stuck in uniform for 24 hours at Dover AFB in 69. I made it to every aircraft offloading caskets. LtCol George Goodson, USMC (Ret) words echo in my ears.

Howland likes this.