• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The Biggest Shotgun in the World!!

Back in the days of clipper ships and the early ironclads, they had grapeshot shells for naval cannons. 12 inch guns loaded with grapeshot... [smile] [smile]

Punt guns are cool. They were used by commercial hunters back in the day.

They'd mount it to a small boat (called a punt), quietly pole out to a flock of birds, fire a shot from a pistol or shotgun to get the flock in flight, and immediately fire the punt gun, dropping many birds at once.

Bass River Rod and Gun has one of those in the clubhouse just as you walk in the door. At first I thought it was fake and that some plumber had too much time on their hands. Pretty cool to see one in action! [smile]

Yup! that is right Eddie, but I don't think that was a PUNT GUN, the Punts were about 10 feet long or longer and had a Blunderbuss type of opening at the Muzzle and they fired about a pound of shot.

Yup! that is right Eddie, but I don't think that was a PUNT GUN, the Punts were about 10 feet long or longer and had a Blunderbuss type of opening at the Muzzle and they fired about a pound of shot.

Listen to the audio. Its a Punt gun. Also they came up before and that's diefinetly a Punt gun. I'm sure the variation you're thinking of also was a punt gun. I think all of the punt guns were hand-made so variations are endless, and I doubt many two punt-guns were alike.

Arrr

-Weer'd

At the Higgins Museum in Worchester,they have a display of punt guns. It's the first time I'd ever seen one in real life and, gosh, they are huge. They also display some other firearms that are pretty interesting including a miniature rifle made for the Russian Czar's child.

Here's their info: http://www.higgins.org/

They are known for the huge display of authentic armor. It's actually pretty interesting and worth the trip. After you go there, you can grab some lunch at "Northworks" in Worchester. All in all a great way to spend a few hours before it get's nice enought to shoot out of doors, again!

Rome

Weer'd

I don't have speakers on my Work Computer.

The guns I am referring to were called, I beleive GOOSE GUNS (they may be one and the same) and they were 10 plus feet long, blunderbuss muzzle, took up nearly the entire boat and were used by POACHERS, for whatever reason. I saw pictures of these guns years ago and just tried to do a google on them and got nothing. I had never known of one that could be held by any kind of man, including Paul Bunyun. They were massive in size and I forget how much powder was put into them but it was considerable. I saw pictures of them, maybe 40 years ago.
I am going to keep googling and see if I can find a reference photo.

Found one, but this is even small compared to what I saw and Yes! You are right, they were Homemade so there is a lot variance.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/photogallery/article/0,13355,1589309,00.html

Ah Huh! After further searching I may have seen pictures of the IRISH TOM Punt Gun that had 50 ounces of Service Charge.
"“Few sports,” wrote Elspeth Huxley in her biography of Sir Peter Scott, calls “for greater skill, endurance and self-discipline.” Puntgunning, as its name suggests, involves the use of a punt and a large calibre shotgun, firing a charge of between eight and twenty ounces of shot. Justice’s punt gun, Irish Tom, fired a service charge of fifty ounces. Through this sport, Sir Peter and Justice first became friends."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom