• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

THE BIG E OFFICIALLY A GUN FREE ZONE

So I wanted to cover my experience today at the big e because I truly made this even worse.

I went to the big e today with my wife and small child. I respected the rules and left my firearm at home (which I was unhappy about). We got there and there were metal detectors and wands. I emptied my pockets as I was supposed to but before I could I was told I was all set and didn’t need to walk through them because I was pushing a stroller. I wasn’t wanded as I passed through and they didn’t check a single one of our diaper bags. This concerned me even more than not being allowed to carry there. My brother arrived another 30 min later and he told me they weren’t even using the detectors because they said they were too backed up and it was taking too long.

I don’t agree with gun free zones for many reasons but it’s even worse when the rules are not even enforced and I was left unarmed knowing tons of others were not checked.

So I wanted to cover my experience today at the big e because I truly made this even worse.

I went to the big e today with my wife and small child. I respected the rules and left my firearm at home (which I was unhappy about). We got there and there were metal detectors and wands. I emptied my pockets as I was supposed to but before I could I was told I was all set and didn’t need to walk through them because I was pushing a stroller. I wasn’t wanded as I passed through and they didn’t check a single one of our diaper bags. This concerned me even more than not being allowed to carry there. My brother arrived another 30 min later and he told me they weren’t even using the detectors because they said they were too backed up and it was taking too long.

I don’t agree with gun free zones for many reasons but it’s even worse when the rules are not even enforced and I was left unarmed knowing tons of others were not checked.

Yep. Check my post earlier in the thread. Exact same experience for myself and my family. Inconsistent security measures.

The place was insanely packed yesterday.
I live in a neighboring town, and the gridlock spilled over here.
They set a record for attendance actually.
It's not exactly comforting to know that the more crowded it is, the more lax they are with security.
Like usual, and as you demonstrated, the law-abiding people are unarmed.

Barry

GOAL had their annual breakfast there a few years ago, which I attended. Last time I went to one of the gun shows was in the mid 2000's. I actually bought a Gen3 G23 there with high cap mags in 2004 from a dealer. I asked him if he was sure he wanted to sell it to me and he said sure. A month later he called me and said Oops, he wasn't supposed to sell it to me. I was on Active Duty at the time and he asked me to meet him at his shop so he could photo copy my ID. No problem, not that it would have helped him if the AG came knocking.

yup.
Like I said in post #18. If you have a kid in hand/stroller, they let you go right through.
This "fair"/expo is a fun family tradition, we go every year.
If anyone is on the fence about going, pro-tip: take a day off and go on a weekday(less crowded), get there before it opens, as the farm buildings are always open, you can tour all them first.

Never been to it and never wanted to go to it. Fairs in Maine are more friendly to the constitution

No matter the state, I poop before I go. No need for my daily constitution there.

yup.
Like I said in post #18. If you have a kid in hand/stroller, they let you go right through.
This "fair"/expo is a fun family tradition, we go every year.
If anyone is on the fence about going, pro-tip: take a day off and go on a weekday(less crowded), get there before it opens, as the farm buildings are always open, you can tour all them first.

Absolutely! We used to go to Topsfield Fair with the kids every year. WE'd pull them on the Thursday of the fair from school and drive up first-thing. Hang out most of the day and screw before traffic made heading South difficult.

We did it with my son 2 years ago. Hadn't gone in a decade. WOW it got smaller. And it was more "meh" than I remember.

OK, funny fair story. We still tell this to this day. FIRST time at Topsfield Fair was 1997. Daughter #1 is 4 mos old. We decide to go, on a lark, on Saturday. From Taunton. Crowds? What's a crowd????

So we get past the rotisserie into traffic trying to get in. It's a 20 min backup to get to the parking. Suddenly from the back seat we hear a grunt and this godawful crap taking place. My daughter is turning blue. Then her face lights up in relief.

Wife hops the seat to change her. Because of D1's positioning, everything sailed NORTH. She had crap almost to her hairline. ROFL!!!!!

Thankfully wife has a full change for her - she's 4 mos old. Changes her. Climbs into the front seat. ROUND 2!!!! ROFL!!!

Round 2 wasn't nearly as bad and was self contained. Oh gosh we laughed. We remind her regularly when we talk about going to the fair. "Bring a change of clothes!"

Back
Top Bottom