THE BIG E OFFICIALLY A GUN FREE ZONE

SFC13557

NES Member
Story on Ch. 4 this morning about no weapons. Here's their policy.
"
Fairgrounds Safety

Our Security staff is comprised of Big E Security personnel as well as dedicated members of the West Springfield Police Force. The Security office is located on Hampden Avenue and is open the Monday before Opening Day and throughout the Fair, 24-hours a day.

Please note that no weapons are allowed on the grounds. Metal detectors are in use at every entrance gate to the fairgrounds and bags are subject to search at gates.

The full services of the West Springfield Fire Department are available on our grounds 24-hours a day during the Fair at the Fire Station on Hampden Avenue.

The First Aid Station and the Lost People Center (LPC) is located across from the Fire Station, staffed daily by dedicated, caring professionals. Guests are encouraged to seek assistance from the LPC immediately upon discovering when someone has been separated from their group. The LPC also maintains a waiting area and outside message board for postings. ALL lost and found items should be brought to the LPC."

Saves me a drive now....I bought an Uzi scope mount that I flipped pretty quickly at that show about 15 years ago. Even back then it was a beef jerky and chineese throwing star packed show.

Honestly, given the appearance of the average midway-wanderer at local fairs, I'd prefer strip searches for everyone who enters the fair if I'm going. LOL

It's the dregs of society. Tweakers. 14yo hussies dressed for the stroll. Toothless moms. Not really a fan. It's too bad, really. But county-type fairs attract the wrong people.

They touted this a lot last year too, so I went defenseless.
When we walked through, the metal detectors were off, no one wanded me at all. Just searched my backpack and that's it.
I could have carried a bazooka down my pant leg.
If you want to go carrying a gun, go mid-week, side entrance, and have a daughter in each hand, they won't bother you.

Who is wasting their money at the Big E anyways? For what, the chance to pig out on some refried cheese with cheese sauce on top?

There have been times at fairs that I've found some pretty awesome food. The Barnstable Cty Fair used to be awesome. They'd do a Battle of the Barns one night. Gosh that was funny. Ob-Stack-Ul course with your animal. Seeing the animals pull up to a dead stop before the puddle. LOL.

Sadly, the last 5 years or so fairs are getting smaller, dingier, and the food is going down. :(

What I don't get about the food is things like the Pizza guy. It's bad thin crust pizza. Or the Sausage Sub guys. ???? The Soft-Serve Icrecream Guys. ?????????? Stuff I can get elsewhere I don't want to see there. Gimme a good hand-dipped corn dog. A deep fried Oreo. Some interesting BBQ. Maybe some Gator Bites. (Although Kinfolk does Gator Bites in the Summer.)

I can understand boycotting because it's a GFZ.

But this forum absolutely shits on anything that's not for them. WTF. Based on people's reactions here I would have thought the Big E was one of Dantes circles....

In some ways, it is. LOL. Who are you? My grandmother? If we can't say something nice. . . . LOL

I would love me a good old county fair. But that died when I was a young boy. TBF, my girls had some great times at Barnstable. Not so much anymore. My daughter has missed the Missouri fair the last 2 years. Might catch it next year. I wonder if it's any better out there.

I can understand boycotting because it's a GFZ.

But this forum absolutely shits on anything that's not for them. WTF. Based on people's reactions here I would have thought the Big E was one of Dantes circles....

It's the innernet machismo.
I happen to love people-watching all the trailer trash.

Just so everyone knows, it’s not like the metal detectors of years past. When I went last year they had wands that weren’t in use at all. Cursory bag checks.

This year it’s the walk through style. I’m still going to go because I like it. I like the tradition. Some of the food is interesting and that’s the main draw for me. I’m not going to miss out on things I like because I can’t carry a gun.

Despite the metal detectors they didn’t pick up the plate in my head or any of the other metal body parts I have, not even a blip.

I wonder how long the wait to get in will be...?

iu

Back
Top Bottom