• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

the best SKS?

I'm in the market for a sks. I've called a few shops and found some yugos, a Norinco and a Russian. I'm not really that experienced with guns or rifles but i have heard a lot of good things about the sks, and they have cheap surplus ammo. So which rifle should i look for, Russian, Chinese or Yugo? Any help would be great appreciated.

he he he he...I'm laughing of course, because I thought to myself, "Gee, I've been wanting an SKS recently myself, Here's a newbie asking a question that Milsurps 4 Me will be compelled to answer so I'll just tag along on the answer and avoid a dupe post."

So, Milsurps, I am willing to admit that I too know nothing about the SKS other than that I would like to purchase one and that everyone I know who has one seems to really like it. What say ye?

I'll chime in with my limited experience, but please note that I defer any and all authority on the subject to Milsurps [grin]

The Chinese (I'm assuming a Norinco) should have a chromed bore, and is probably (and arguably) the best overall shooter of the three.

The Yugo will be a tad heavier, and likely have the grenade launcher attachment, which may add to the "cool" factor, as well as overall length.

I'm assuming the Russian is the most expensive of the three that you're looking at, and likely is the most collectible. If it's not more expensive than the others, let us know - I'm sure one of us will buy it if you don't [grin]

The easiest answer? Buy all three, and decide which one you like best [smile]

$150?!? You're getting ripped off. Tell me where the rifle is and I'll give the seller a piece of my mind for trying to sell it so cheap errr I mean expensive.[laugh]

Just kiddin. In all honesty, if you can get a real paratrooper for $150, take it and run because its a steal! These are going for $250+

As for the best SKS, the paratrooper isn't, but its the loudest.[devil2]

I've found that standard Chinese models are definitely more accurate and a good number of them (not just Sino Soviet models) do have Russian parts.

Yugoslavian 59/66 models are also very accurate mainly because the grenade launcher protects the muzzle crowns from cleaning rod wear but there are no Yugo rifles with chrome lined bores due to a lack of chromium ore in Yugoslavia. Some 1950 Russian models were also not chrome lined. Its no big deal as long as the bore is already clean to begin with, but if there is heavy fouling or corrosion it'll be a PITA to clean after shooting.
Recently unissued Yugo models are getting a hefty price, somewhere around $250 and higher.

Russian models are often more desirable simply because they're Russian and the stocks are usually better looking than any other types.

I'll vouch for the Yugo SKS. I picked one up a ways back and it's a great shooter. I believe one thing that M4M said in a prior post I remember reading is check the gas tube parts. If corrosive ammo residue was left in there for a long period it could have really eroded the parts and actually make it so it doesn't shoot semi-auto and may need to be replaced.

Well I say get the russian, I have a Norinco and my brother has a russian and the russian looks better and is more accurate.

I think no matter which one you buy first your sure to add more to your collection down the road anyway.

My chinese norinco paratrooper 16" barrel benchrested with norinco ammo at 100yds will shoot 1 1/2" groups. My 20" barreled norinco scoped will shoot under 1" groups at 100yds with norinco ammo too benchrested. I'm sure it will shoot 1/2" to 3/4" groups but it had a flimsy scopemount. By the time i had it zeroed in the scope was loose but it was shooting under 1" by that time. I changed it to the mosin nagant style mount which is rock solid but i haven't sighted it in yet. I mounted it a little lower on the receiver into the soild part of the receiver.

My para sks shot so good the guys next to me with there ar15's got embarassed. I don't think they believed my targets.

Now which one is better?

1. Russian & Chinese sks

I think the quality of the chinese sks's and manufacturing more models and numbers helped the chinese excell so i put them equal if not better to the russian sks.

Note; Both the russian & chinese sks have chrome lined bores and chambers.

2. Romanian sks

Note: The romanian sks has the chrome lined bore and chamber.

3. Albanian sks

Note; The Albanian sks has the chrome linded bore and chamber.

4. Yugo sks

Model 59

No gernade launcher.

Model 59/66

Has the gernade launcher.

Note; The only drawback is the yugo sks's don't have chrome lined bores and chambers. You have to clean it good after shooting it. Its still a quality built sks. For some reason the yugo sks feels a tad heavier even with the model 59.

This is my own personal ratings. Each sks will serve you well no matter which one you purchase.

I keep all my sks's lubed up with moly. I put it in the receiver rails, bolt carrier/bolt, recoil spring, gas tube and piston.

Moly
Eliminates all wear
Reduces friction
Fights corrosion
Prevents galling
Stays wet and were you put it, even in long term storage its ready to rock and roll at anytime.
The gun will cycle faster and smoother.

I have used moly in my very first chinese sks and the bluing on the parts is still there, it hasn't worn off yet. If your seeing any kind of wear at all your present lube isn't working....

BTW; I tried to replace the barrel on my yugo 59 with a chinese barrel and found out it will go in and lock up but the machining on the barrel is 180 degrees off. That puts the gas hole and pin slots on the opposite sides.

I later found out the corrosion so i thought was actually residue from them shooting rubber or plastic bullets in the bore. I good soaking of the orginal G.I. Rifle Bore Cleaner took it all out and all my model 59's have shootable bores now. This was on the very first batch of 59's that century arms offered as ufixems. They all had broken safety levers otherwise they were complete guns. While they were ridden hard they did clean up good and some had yugo graffitti on them too.

Last edited:
From what I've read and heard over the years, East German SKS types are not only some of the rarest, but best built SKS rifles ever made.

Maybe we'll see the german and the korean sks's someday. Remember don't jump on the first ones at $1,200 each. Remember those $1,200 yugo's at first? The chinese sks's were $1,000 too at first... History does repeat itself for sure...

This hobby was so affordable just few years ago, it isn't anymore. We have to shop smart for sure now.

I wonder when everything has finally dried up and a few more years go by if we will see the prices go nuts like the old black powder stuff did. Ever go to an antique gun show and see the prices on the old black powder stuff? You'd have to have a museum to pay prices like that. While its interesting/neat looking stuff its just too expensive.

I was told once that only real men shoot black powder. I purchased some black powder rifles and handguns so i'm a real man now.. just kidding but they did tell me that. I still can't get away from the smell of cosmoline i'm hooked on it.

Last edited:
I'd have to say the Chinese are the best, because the only one I have is a Chinese model [smile], with no Norinco name or import marks. It dates to 1967. It's more accurate than I am.

sks.jpg

I'd have to say the Chinese are the best, because the only one I have is a Chinese model [smile], with no Norinco name or import marks. It dates to 1967. It's more accurate than I am.

sks.jpg

That SKS looks damn good [smile]. How can you date a norinco SKS, I would love to know the year on mine.

sks.jpg

Nice!!!!!!

Some sks's were built from parts after they weren't imported anymore. Usually there etched on the receivers, i have one that appears to be that way I think its from "CA."(importer)

Too bad the sks is over shadowed by the ak47. I think the sks is just as good as the ak47 is too. I think cleaning the sks in the dark is easier than cleaning the ak47. Both are equal in reliability and dependability. I'm surprised to see so many that don't have one yet.

I'm not sure how many chinese sks's I have but i find them hard to pass up when there priced right and in new to excellent condition. I did find a few sino-soviet sks's at the big e a while back. I just oil them up and put them in the blackhole in the safe for a rainy day.

I wonder how accurate they all are when we compare them with the same ammo. I have heard that the white box winchester 7,62x39 ammo is as accurate as the norinco ammo is.

Someday i'll drag my son to the range and compare them all shooting the same ammo with one shooter.

Back
Top Bottom