The best hot dogs ever !!! and other fourth of July foods

JonJ

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I have to agree with Coney Island. 4 or 5 with sauce, a pickle, and a couple of cold ones.

I loved the old Colonials made with all kinds of stuff they didn't or (weren't allowed [wink]) to list on the package.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay.......I gotta go with steamed hotdogs as opposed to grilled.....but here's a new twist to the thread.
How many can you eat at one sitting?
My two brothers had a hotdog eating contest in thier younger days.....My middle brother got pretty much filled up with eleven. My youngest brother, not about to be outdone blew his doors off by whacking down 17 of them suckers!
TACJC

dwarven1

Appleseed Instructor
Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I just bought some Pearl's - turns out that you have to buy them at the deli counter and not in packages with the other dogs. Think I'll have some tonight; I'll post afterwards and let you know how they were.

And Jeff? Try following that link; I did the same as you did and found the Wikipedia entry for them. As I said, I learn something new all the time.

dwarven1

Appleseed Instructor
Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Cledus J. Crabb said:
Okay.......I gotta go with steamed hotdogs as opposed to grilled.
Oh, ick. I can deal with them steamed... but hot dogs are made to be grilled!

Next thing I know you'll be saying that they're OK microwaved. [rolleyes]

Cross-X

Shooting at the big range in heaven
Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
dwarven1 said:

If you grill your weiners, you'll split the casings lengthwise. That's not kosher! Steamed is the way to go.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dwarven1 said:

Ross,
Microwaved hotdogs...........well..........it's like a whole new dimension. Truthfully, though........when you run into the house, in between jobs and you have about 12 minutes to clean up, check the house, and stuff most anything that resembles food into your mouth so you won't die of starvation before you go back to work, Mr. Microwave and a few Ballpark franks can at times be one's salvation.
Mat not be as good as dinner by OES, but it keeps one "on the move" movin'.
Almost as good as MREs

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
You know, the title says....and other 4th of July foods...

One that we're leaving out here is corn on the cob.

I get them still in the husks...soak them in heavily salted water and then throw them on the grill in the husks. 15 min on each side with four quarter turns for a total of one hour on the grill.

dwarven1

Appleseed Instructor
Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
C-pher said:
One that we're leaving out here is corn on the cob.
Strip off the husk, rub with olive oil and grill over a medium fire, two minutes on a side, turn in it three times (so it's grilled on 4 sides). Simply wonderful.

dwarven1

Appleseed Instructor
Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Cledus J. Crabb said:
Truthfully, though........when you run into the house, in between jobs and you have about 12 minutes to clean up, check the house, and stuff most anything that resembles food into your mouth so you won't die of starvation before you go back to work, Mr. Microwave and a few Ballpark franks can at times be one's salvation.
Well, yeah. In a situation like that, you do what ya gotta do.

When I was working security and going to school full time, I'd get off the train from Manhattan (coming from school), get my car, stop at a Blimpie's and head straight for work. Wasn't really dinner, but it filled the belly.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dwarven1 said:
Yeah, some folks will deep fry anything. In Brooklyn, they batter and deep fry frozen Milky Way bars. [rolleyes]
You can get a deep fried Mars bar at the Tir na nog in Somerville.

And the best hot veggie hot dogs are Morningstar Farms. The only ones that come close to the right texture and almost have a skin. Yumm.

PatMcD

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
If ever in Rockland, Maine, go over to Wasses' Wagon over by the Dunkin Donuts, order a couple of dogs and this thread will be over. No kidding

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Round Gun Shooter said:
Is that still there???????? How about Coney Island in Worcester???? Bradish's in Grafton???
Oh yeah. It is still pretty much the same, with business cards on the wall you can see through from all the grease. I was going to mention Coney Island, but figured I'd get shot down or confuse people with the NY Coney Island. I guess it is more popular than I thought. I used to live near Bradish's in N. Grafton. They were good too. I also like Bob's Hotdogs truck on Wachusett Reservoir in W. Boylston.

Oh yeah, and Flo's in York or Kittery Maine on the right going North. My head almost hits the ceiling.

Of course with any of these, you need chocolate milk or cream soda.

Last edited:
Top Bottom