The best hot dogs ever !!! and other fourth of July foods

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The fourth of July is here and I was thing about grilling one of my favorites (HOTDOGS)

I wanted to start a tread about good old American Hotdogs!!

The Best hotdogs are served at Spikes Restaurant.
They are based out of Rhode Island but have a couple locations in MA.

http://www.spikesjunkyarddogs.com/

Last edited:

Dirtypacman

NES Door Greeter
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Local favorite for me when im going through downtown Newburyport I always grab a Shirly's Dog :)

M1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I'm not a big fan of hot dogs. Probably about the only sausage that I don't like.

Tomorrow, I'm making a pilgrimage to Karl's Sausage Kitchen in Saugus. They make their own sausage on the premises. Think 3 different kinds of Bratwurst. Knockwurst. Liverwurst (coarse and fine). Smoke their own bacon. Mmmmmm.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
M1911 said:
I'm not a big fan of hot dogs. Probably about the only sausage that I don't like.

Tomorrow, I'm making a pilgrimage to Karl's Sausage Kitchen in Saugus. They make their own sausage on the premises. Think 3 different kinds of Bratwurst. Knockwurst. Liverwurst (coarse and fine). Smoke their own bacon. Mmmmmm.

MMMMMMMM BACON!!!

D

daceman63

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
they were showing a place on the food network that's in Philadelphia I think...correct me if I'm wrong, they deep fry their hotdogs. Anyone been there or heard of it? They have some funky names for them which conveniently elude me right now. The fried them until they split.

dwarven1

Appleseed Instructor
Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Yeah, some folks will deep fry anything. In Brooklyn, they batter and deep fry frozen Milky Way bars. [rolleyes]

But the best hot dog I've ever had was just this past weekend. Pearl Hot Dogs - apparently, they're made in Boston and sold locally. Going to try and find me some tomorrow. They're all beef and larger than the average dog. Yum.

KMaurer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
M1911 said:

My one concession to time; My stomach can no longer tollerate hot dogs. Brats, Knockwurst, Kielbasa, Liverworst, you name it, but not hot dogs.

Ken

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been known to drive an hour (each way, and actually did it yesterday) to to RI to get a few dogs "all the way" (mustard, meat sauce, onions, and sprinkled with celery salt) at NEW YORK SYSTEM in Cranston (I think there are a few "branches" of New York System Weiners scattered through out RI)...open daily 11am-2am

MMMmmm a few "all the way" and a side of fries now thats living....Scuze me I feel another trip coming on...

dreppucci007

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Ok...sounds weird, BUT...

The BEST hotdog I've ever had is from the small hotdog concession cart near the entrance to Home Depot in Fairfield, CT. Told ya it was weird!...Regardless, best freakin' hotdog I've ever had, and I'd also venture to say the best chili-dog I've ever had as well.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Took the Spike's challenge and got my picture up at the Branch Ave. Spike's
6 different dogs, with toppings.
Biggest mistake was having their "Freakin' Hot Hot Dog" first.
the 5 others after just burned.
But I had to get the free shirt.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one likes Nathan's, available in the supermarket?

Maybe I need to buy more hot dogs. Nathan's works well in the back-yard grilling context.

dwarven1

Appleseed Instructor
Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Well, for grilling I like Hebrew National - at least I know what went into them!

Still want to try Pearl's, though.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
dwarven1 said:
Well, for grilling I like Hebrew National - at least I know what went into them!

Still want to try Pearl's, though.

Ross you have Spikes the Dogs are one of a kind!! They import them from Germany!!! It is also a Phantom Gourmet Great Ate!!
Here are the ingredients in the dogs!!

http://www.spikesjunkyarddogs.com/ingredients.html

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For the Fourth I will be walking from Grill to Grill at my Parents campground eating Brazilian food!!

They are definitely master grillers!!!!!!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
here is the review from the Phantom

Spike's Junkyard Dogs (The Greatest: All-Beef Wiener)
108 Brighton Ave.
Allston, MA 02134
(617) 254-7700
www.spikesjunkyarddogs.com

A junkyard may not be your first stop for culinary creations, but this Allston storefront is a haven for hot dogs. The 100% all-beef wieners are a special recipe made by a 4th generation German Wurst company exclusively for Spike’s. The quality continues with oversized French rolls baked in-house and seriously inventive toppings. Phantom likes the Texas Ranger loaded with barbecue sauce, cheddar, and bacon. The Buffalo is slathered with hot sauce, blue cheese, and scallions, and the German Shepherd piles on the sauerkraut and mustard. The top dog is Spike's original Junkyard Dog, wearing sliced tomato, pickle, mustard, scallions and pepperoncini. The local chain has 8 other hot dog havens in Rhode Island, plus a new location in Davis Square, Somerville.

Last edited:

dwarven1

Appleseed Instructor
Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
jwilson said:
The top dog is Spike's original Junkyard Dog, wearing sliced tomato, pickle, mustard, scallions and pepperoncini. The local chain has 8 other hot dog havens in Rhode Island, plus a new location in Davis Square, Somerville.
What the heck is pepperoncini? Or is that a typo and should be pepperoni?

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
[laugh2] Ross Resident Grammar Dictator.[laugh2]

pepperoncini.
Stubby, 2-5" long red ripening pepper with a very mild spicy flavor. Peppers develop wrikled skin upon ripening. The pepperoncini is commonly used in Italian cuisine, and popularly in the United States, on pizzas. Flavor is very good, rich and plants are reasonable bearers.
Origin: Italy, Sicily, and Sardinia.

I had no clue what they were either[rolleyes] I just Google Searched it

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Oh, Coney Island in Worcester is good...

And I just didn't see this thread... Nathan's is the best outside of MA.

But in MA, I have to say, even though I LOVE the Lonely guy from Spikes...

The New England Hot dog Company is the best that I've had ever!

www.nehotdog.com

And, they came in third as the top 10 hot dogs in New England on the Phantom Gormet... I love that place...and I was glad to see them get some play when I watched that episode.

Top Bottom